Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Mon Truck Driver

JCC is on a distinguished road
Default Earthquake!!!

WOW! We just had a 5.4 earthquake here in California! I was on my break here @work. i'm on the 14 floor and was talking to a co-worker..then BAM! Everything in the break room started shaking..then the building started to sway. I thought it was the BIG ONE experts have been predicting.

I've been through a few earthquakes before, but not in a high-rise building. This was scary!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Sunglasses wearing bloke

Chommpers is on a distinguished road

That would be pretty scary, glad you didn't get hurt. Is everyone else ok?

^ By the beautifully creative Amelie! Merci!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Wow glad your ok! I hope no ones seriously hurt. Im assuming this was in San Fransisco or no? Surprisingly I havent herd anything about this on the news yet.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

5.4 magnitude isn't a big quake. The Loma Prieta quake of 1989 was 6.9, about 15 times that strong, and the 1906 San Francisco quake is estimated to have been about 7.8, or over 100 times as strong as the one today. That may explain why there hasn't been much news coverage, because it's unlikely there has been a lot of property damage or anyone seriously hurt.

It's a weird feeling being in a quake just the same. On the west coast it happens a lot so it's something you have to get used to. You take for granted having solid ground under your feet, so when it starts to move, it's very, very scary even when it's not really dangerous, let alone when it is.

But the highest I've ever been in one was on the 3rd floor apartment where I lived in Seattle. On the 14th floor, you must have had thoughts of the building collapsing and burying you under itself. That would not be fun! But buildings in California are all built to high earthquake-tolerance standards, so unless it really is the Big One, you're probably OK.

Edit: Just found a news story about the quake. It was in southern CA, centered near Los Angeles, which explains why I never noticed it. The only reported injuries were two women who bonked their heads climbing under tables. Not too bad a quake, as I said, but it's always scary and a reminder of what CAN happen.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716

Last edited by Deepwaters; 07-29-2008 at 07:20 PM..
Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 PM

tbailey is on a distinguished road

surprisingly there was a quake here in Indiana area about, i guess, 3 or 4 months ago

it was nothing serious - around 3am and i barely remember it...half asleep and all

at first i thought it was a train but the shaking was a lot more than that created by a train - it was a weird sensation

supposedly there a quakes ever so often in the Great Lakes region, which is created by a rebound effect from the ice age. There use to be a lot more ice/water in this region which of course put a lot of strain/weight on the ground

that compressed the ground and now that it's gone the ground is "rebounding" from the lack of weight - or at least that's what i remember hearing
Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Sunglasses wearing bloke

Chommpers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post
surprisingly there was a quake here in Indiana area about, i guess, 3 or 4 months ago

it was nothing serious - around 3am and i barely remember it...half asleep and all

at first i thought it was a train but the shaking was a lot more than that created by a train - it was a weird sensation

supposedly there a quakes ever so often in the Great Lakes region, which is created by a rebound effect from the ice age. There use to be a lot more ice/water in this region which of course put a lot of strain/weight on the ground

that compressed the ground and now that it's gone the ground is "rebounding" from the lack of weight - or at least that's what i remember hearing
Yeah, I remember hearing about that (I am in Indiana as well), but I slept right through it and never felt a thing. I remember my grandma telling me that she felt it. I seen on the news a few hours ago a story about the quakes in Cali, glad to hear it wasn't that bad. There was a mention of a big one that should hit sometime in the next 30 years and it said it should be equal to the 6.9 or bigger .

^ By the beautifully creative Amelie! Merci!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Looking through a glass onion.

Amigo! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chommpers View Post
There was a mention of a big one that should hit sometime in the next 30 years and it said it should be equal to the 6.9 or bigger .
Don't remind me
Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM

ggin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chommpers View Post
Yeah, I remember hearing about that (I am in Indiana as well), but I slept right through it and never felt a thing.
I didn't sleep through it. It shook my whole house. I thought it was a tornado at first, but there was no wind and my house didn't blow away. It woke everybody up and someone actually thought I was the cause. I don't know what they think I could have been doing to shake the whole house! Dancing to Alizée at 3 am maybe?

My signature and Avatar courtesy of the lovely and talented Amelie!
Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggin View Post
I didn't sleep through it. It shook my whole house. I thought it was a tornado at first, but there was no wind and my house didn't blow away. It woke everybody up and someone actually thought I was the cause. I don't know what they think I could have been doing to shake the whole house! Dancing to Alizée at 3 am maybe?
Practicing your magical abilities to manipulate nature and the earth to your whim?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:44 PM

ggin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
Practicing your magical abilities to manipulate nature and the earth to your whim?
Nope. Only Alizée has that power, I think.

My signature and Avatar courtesy of the lovely and talented Amelie!