Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Support

Old 03-22-2021, 03:52 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeSuperFanFIN View Post
Edit. ^^I almost forgot. Very good to know Clever!

I remember! I had to ask more about that, good, when you told now.

I thought at the time that it would be good to bring it back to the internet if at all possible, but a bad thing if its owner doesn’t want to???

However, it probably doesn’t depend on the cost? - but for some other reason...
I could get you the name of one of the admins who is active on FB. It wouldn't hurt to ask, though he may no longer have the files. I'm sure he doesn't want to start up another site himself. We could raise the money for it if it's reasonable price.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:39 AM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

AlizéeSuperFanFIN is on a distinguished road

^Thanks! It might be interesting to explore the possibilities a little, unless it causes too much work.

Fortunately, however, this AA exists, even if that other one doesn’t come on the lines, the Russians ’own problem, unless they speak English. LOL.

By the way, do you remember what platform it was on; phpbb, vbullet, etc.

I think upgrading from the old version to the new one can also be a problem or just harder when you want to restore the old data.

I have phpbb forums myself, but technical support and maintenance elsewhere. At least there are problems transferring them if the files are large and quite a few can do it.

Sure, it could also be kept only as an archive and in the old version, but security might suffer, etc.

Edit:

Edit. I already did more research.

I found...

"To purchase a domain and / or forum, email: riccardo83@gmail.com"

Did you just contact him, Scruffy?

Looks like Riccardo wants to earn with it, and of course I can’t blame him for that. But on the other hand, it would be great if he himself or we other fans could publish it online in some other way and even in read-only format, unless there is no other option (i.e. only in the archive).

I also search a picture of the history, and it was also Vbulletin.

[Btw, Note Scruffy that you're "online" in that picture.]

In addition, a person named Vibhash Chandra, apparently an AA member, had asked Riccardo to agree to merge AF and AA, apparently in VBulletin it’s easier. I personally don't know this platform at all...?

Alizée 💜

Last edited by AlizéeSuperFanFIN; 03-23-2021 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 03-23-2021, 08:26 PM

I contacted him via FB and he went under the name of Riccardo Ulpts. Here is how that went,
"You sent December 31, 2018
Hey Riccardo. I hope you're having a happy birthday. I wanted to ask if you still have the server or the old files for AF. It be nice to have access to the history of the Alizee Forum.
1/3/19, 7:32 AM

Riccardo sent January 3, 2019
im sorry, i might have but not sure
look into the future not past ��".
Old 03-24-2021, 10:44 AM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I contacted him via FB and he went under the name of Riccardo Ulpts. Here is how that went,
"You sent December 31, 2018
Hey Riccardo. I hope you're having a happy birthday. I wanted to ask if you still have the server or the old files for AF. It be nice to have access to the history of the Alizee Forum.
1/3/19, 7:32 AM

im sorry, i might have but not sure
look into the future not past ��".
You've been active Scruffy again! Once you have been active in this regard too! Thanks!

Hmmm... A little weird answer from Riccardo.

Theoretically...

I think if someone still tries, Riccardo would like a direct offer or something like that?

The problem is knowing from the start what is a reasonable offer for such a product.

Alizée 💜
Old 03-24-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
You've been active Scruffy again! Once you have been active in this regard too! Thanks!

Hmmm... A little weird answer from Riccardo.

Theoretically...

I think if someone still tries, Riccardo would like a direct offer or something like that?

The problem is knowing from the start what is a reasonable offer for such a product.
I don't think we should worry about the price. If it's too high, it's too high and we'll have to give up the ship, the good ship Alizee forum that is. The main issue is does he still have the files?
Old 03-25-2021, 11:35 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

I have my 2 cents to put in on this topic.

From the screen shot of the forum, the vBulletin version is 4.2.2. We are running vBulletin version 3.8.4. They are one major version apart, which can be significant.

vBulletin uses a MySQL database to store data. It's a relational database, so similar data can be stored in its own entity (tables). I don't know the architecture of the vBulletin database, but a simplified one might have all the posts populating one table, thread information in another, forum information in another, member info in another, etc. There are established relationships between the tables so that the vBulletin software can retrieve the data and organize it and present it on a browser.

Even if we were to get only the database for AFI, the chances are very slim we could do anything with it, such as merge the history into AAm. The database structures most likely changed with the version upgrade. We would have to migrate all the user information and their security settings. Given enough time, it could be done, but the level of effort would be very high.

The only viable option in my opinion is to buy the whole site from the latest backup. We would have to host it somewhere and rebrand it or leave it as AFI. Who knows if the owner still has a backup, but I have a feeling he did not just delete it permanently.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:24 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Good comments from both!

After reading old texts which I found ... I felt like Riccardo was somehow “angry” or offended that in 2017 No one at the time immediately knew yet to ask about the subject when he apparently closed his page?

Scruffy apparently asked then 2018/2019, like some others?

That’s why it just came to mind... So is that the reason maybe why he answers related queries so vaguely, etc.?

It seems strange that he would have destroyed it - unless it is accidentally destroyed in some way.

Of course, someone unknown may already have been able to buy it from him, but that’s pretty unlikely.

Alizée 💜
Old 03-26-2021, 01:59 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
After reading old texts which I found ... I felt like Riccardo was somehow “angry” or offended that in 2017 No one at the time immediately knew yet to ask about the subject when he apparently closed his page?

Scruffy apparently asked then 2018/2019, like some others?

That’s why it just came to mind... So is that the reason maybe why he answers related queries so vaguely, etc.?

It seems strange that he would have destroyed it - unless it is accidentally destroyed in some way.

Of course, someone unknown may already have been able to buy it from him, but that’s pretty unlikely.
Several years have passed since then. Too much is going on in the world to stay angry over some petty offense.

I would ask Riccardo again but without any reference to "buying" it. Ask if he would give it to us. Maybe he would be willing to upload a backup to a google drive and be done with it.

My reasoning is this. If we buy it, there would be some expectation that he should support us as we attempt to resurrect the site as a whole or just the data. Maybe he recognizes this and does not want to be on the hook for providing any support. Also, what happens if we raise some funds here and send it off to him, and we get unusable garbage in return? There could be missing files, corrupted data, etc. Then we have angry people who put up the money.

However, if he gives it to us, it would be a no strings attached arrangement, and who knows, he might go for this option.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:16 PM

BroKenSkullDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
However, if he gives it to us, it would be a no strings attached arrangement, and who knows, he might go for this option.
I don't know the last thing about all this computer stuff. Nonetheless, this would be the ideal option and the only one I'd go for. Like you said, you don't know what you may end up getting.

Last edited by BroKenSkullDG; 03-26-2021 at 06:34 PM..
Old 03-26-2021, 08:14 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Hmm. The quote feature seems to be malfunctioning, but to quote AlizéeSuperFanFIN:
Quote:
I want to say! That if only it is possible, keep this AA for as long as possible!!!

All of these other Facebook, etc. are good at supporting the idea, but none of them replace AA’s purpose!

For you and for anyone else, now and a hundred years from now, as clearly as I can: there is no replacing AAm. This effort was not engaged in trying to replace AAm. Only AAm is AAm. We should do everything we can to preserve this resource. As you noted, anyone who Googles Alizée can find AAm. Unfortunately not very many join us. But that's ok.

Just as important, though people didn't really pay it any attention:
This idea was to give AAm members, and those who do not wish to join AAm, a place to come together under one "roof" so to speak. It required a significant amount of planning, communication with other communities, but all that went out the window for some reason. I don't know what the discord spaces that were created look like right now, but they are likely no threat of "replacing" AAm. I've repeated myself enough on this topic.