Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 10-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Depends on how good you are with languages. I'd recommend picking up at least a rudimentary grasp of French before you go. The rest can come from immersion. That's what I'm doing.

I don't know if I'm going to actually move to France or not. I'm expecting to go for an extended visit some time next year, and a lot of that time will be in Corse. The island calls to me. I look at pictures of it (like a lot of M. Jacotey's photos) and it shimmers with recognition. So I know there's something I'm supposed to do there, I just don't know what.

It may involve living there. But then again, it may not. We'll see.

I'll also use the trip to sightsee in Paris and go to Breton to see the menhirs. And maybe to England as well, although I don't know if I'll have time to work that in.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 10-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Francophile!:D

Tye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
Depends on how good you are with languages. I'd recommend picking up at least a rudimentary grasp of French before you go. The rest can come from immersion. That's what I'm doing.

I don't know if I'm going to actually move to France or not. I'm expecting to go for an extended visit some time next year, and a lot of that time will be in Corse. The island calls to me. I look at pictures of it (like a lot of M. Jacotey's photos) and it shimmers with recognition. So I know there's something I'm supposed to do there, I just don't know what.

It may involve living there. But then again, it may not. We'll see.

I'll also use the trip to sightsee in Paris and go to Breton to see the menhirs. And maybe to England as well, although I don't know if I'll have time to work that in.
That is the way I am with Paris. When I see a picture of Paris, I get this home sick feeling like that is where I am supposed to be. I feel a very strong pull to Paris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
So where are you all planning on moving to in France: Paris, Corsica, Blue Coast, Wine Country?
Paris.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking of moving there after I graduate. It doesn't matter where because you can get to anyplace by train, metro or bus in a short amount of time. I have taken 4 years of french in high school and I'm taking french courses while I'm in college.

The only flaw I can see by moving there is that I will have to pay income tax to both France and the United States. We live in the only country where you still have to pay federal income tax if you live outside the U.S. This is why many people who move to a forgien country will renouce their U.S. citizenship.

So, if you're planning on moving to France and staying, this is something you may want to consider.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:21 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I'm thinking of moving there after I graduate. It doesn't matter where because you can get to anyplace by train, metro or bus in a short amount of time. I have taken 4 years of french in high school and I'm taking french courses while I'm in college.

The only flaw I can see by moving there is that I will have to pay income tax to both France and the United States. We live in the only country where you still have to pay federal income tax if you live outside the U.S. This is why many people who move to a forgien country will renouce their U.S. citizenship.

So, if you're planning on moving to France and staying, this is something you may want to consider.
EDIT: You and ALS are right.
I had originally quoted IRS Pub 901, http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p901.pdf
but it actually talks about French residents being exempt from US income tax on French-generated income as long as you don't live in the US more than half the year, and the people paying you aren't US residents and they don't generate the money they're paying you with in the US.

Last edited by fsquared; 10-09-2007 at 06:23 PM..
Old 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquared View Post
Hmmm....
According to IRS Pub 901, http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p901.pdf
it seems that you're exempt from US income tax on French-generated income as long as you don't live in the US more than half the year, and the people paying you aren't US residents and they don't generate the money they're paying you with in the US.

The US has set up tax treaties with lots of countries specifically to avoid double taxation (it varies from country to country, hence the long list in Pub 901).
A 1000 thanks for digging that up for me fsquared. I certainly not that efficient. The idea for double taxation was very discouraging.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:45 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Those who are renouncing their citizenship are the mega-rich that don't want to pay taxes in two countries.

From the IRS website:
If you meet certain requirements, you may qualify for the foreign earned income and foreign housing exclusions and the foreign housing deduction.

If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to exclude from income up to $82,400 of your foreign earnings. In addition, you can exclude or deduct certain foreign housing amounts.
You may also be entitled to exclude from income the value of meals and lodging provided to you by your employer.
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/index.html
Old 10-09-2007, 06:25 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
Those who are renouncing their citizenship are the mega-rich that don't want to pay taxes in two countries.

From the IRS website:
If you meet certain requirements, you may qualify for the foreign earned income and foreign housing exclusions and the foreign housing deduction.

If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to exclude from income up to $82,400 of your foreign earnings. In addition, you can exclude or deduct certain foreign housing amounts.
You may also be entitled to exclude from income the value of meals and lodging provided to you by your employer.
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/index.html
Aha.... my original response was bogus; it applied to French residents being exempt from US income tax. Thanks for the clarification. But hopefully the actual exemption will make the situation of the people on this forum who want to move to France a little more bearable.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:40 PM

Illriya is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's it, I'm moving to France! Who's with me?
I am,

But in a few months
Old 10-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Francophile!:D

Tye is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I already knew about the double tax, but thanks for bringing it up for people who didn't know.

It pisses me off that this is the case. If I prefer France to the U.S. I will give up my U.S. citizenship, but it would be nice if I could keep it and not get f*cked over by the tax collector.

Last edited by Tye; 10-10-2007 at 06:01 PM..
Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 AM

Piblokto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
Paris, La Côte d'Azure, La Corse, or anywhere I can, really. Worse come to worse, Aubagne (for those that know what that's about).
http://www.legion-recrute.com/fr/ou.php
Joining the foreign legion is quite respectable, but there are certainly better ways for travelling cheap in France...