Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 10-28-2007, 06:08 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road
Default Les Mots

I would have never discovered Farmer with Alizée. A bit of an irony considering Farmer's role in bringing Alizée to the world. I'm not a big Farmer fan, but she has a good voice, and I believe Boutonnat to be one of the best composers of our time; my personal favorite. Then we have Seal, a UK-grown male vocalist. I'm not a big Seal fan either. In fact, if I had to put my finger on why I follow neither Farmer nor Seal, is I kinda get tired of their voice over an entire song or across several songs (not so for Lili )

But here we have a contrasting duet, Farmer/Seal interwoven French/English, with Boutonnat's wonderful instrumental backdrop. The contrast is perfect for their voices. So the entire song stays rich in the woven complexity of melodies.

Les Mots came out seven years ago, but I only discovered it recently. Thought I would share it for those who, like me, are culturally stunted with regard to French PoP...outside of Lili, that is.

Last edited by OGRE; 10-28-2007 at 06:20 PM..
Old 10-28-2007, 06:58 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Tubular Bells - By Mike Oldfield

(although he does say the name of several instruments, I'll include it here as there are no other words)

The entire piece is about 49 minutes.

This section was included in a movie:

Sound famaliar?

Here is a 3 minute cut from a later version:

A wiki about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubular_Bells

EDIT: What is this doing here. I was trying to put it in "Favorite Song Without Lyrics." I wondered where it went. I must have had two threads open at once.
<TABLE class="infobox vevent" style="WIDTH: 20em"><TBODY><TR><TH style="WIDTH: 5.2em; TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>

</TH><TD style="WIDTH: 14em" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TH style="WIDTH: 5.2em; TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row></TH><TD style="WIDTH: 14em" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TH style="WIDTH: 5.2em; TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row></TH><TD style="WIDTH: 14em" colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by Rev; 12-17-2007 at 01:27 AM..
Old 10-28-2007, 07:00 PM

Calisto is on a distinguished road

I'm in the exact some boat Ogre.

Boutonnat's music is simply brilliant in my opinion. For some reason I never really took much time to give Mylene a chance until fairly recently but Boutonnat's music really shines with Mylene's songs just like Alizee. I've been slowly discovering all of Farmer's songs, and will eventually buy Les Mots.

The link you provided was one of the first songs I found and I love it also. I think your quote described it nicely:
Quote:
The contrast is perfect for their voices. So the entire song stays rich in the woven complexity of melodies.
My personal favorite from her so far is C'est une Belle Journee. Here is the live version:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eLJ9r33Xx00
Old 10-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Personally, I like the version of Les Mots Mylene did live with Abe Laboriel.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FspTcSh00NM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FspTcSh00NM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 10-28-2007, 08:21 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Calisto, Lefty...good stuff.
Expanding my horizons a bit.

By the way, if Wiki is correct, the Les Mots "best of" is a #1 all time best seller "best of" in France.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:36 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Yeah, awesome song. I also like Aimer.
Les Mots, the album, also represents in my mind a particular point of view on the evolution of electronic music over the last 20 years....LB was pretty cutting-edge as things moved along so you can hear the "latest" evolve.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Κάτσε Καλά!

garçoncanadien is on a distinguished road

definitely Mylène changed my life and altered my mind.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Alizee Fan!

Ali is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
I would have never discovered Farmer with Alizée. A bit of an irony considering Farmer's role in bringing Alizée to the world. I'm not a big Farmer fan, but she has a good voice, and I believe Boutonnat to be one of the best composers of our time; my personal favorite. Then we have Seal, a UK-grown male vocalist. I'm not a big Seal fan either. In fact, if I had to put my finger on why I follow neither Farmer nor Seal, is I kinda get tired of their voice over an entire song or across several songs (not so for Lili )

But here we have a contrasting duet, Farmer/Seal interwoven French/English, with Boutonnat's wonderful instrumental backdrop. The contrast is perfect for their voices. So the entire song stays rich in the woven complexity of melodies.

Les Mots came out seven years ago, but I only discovered it recently. Thought I would share it for those who, like me, are culturally stunted with regard to French PoP...outside of Lili, that is.

I ran into this video too recently (over the summer), the song itself is not bad. The melody and the flow is similar to other Boutonnat/Farmer songs.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Κάτσε Καλά!

garçoncanadien is on a distinguished road

today I was sitting in the park and listening to pas le temps de vivre. The wind started blowing and the leaves started rustling exactly at the chorus - that was electric. most soulful experience I have had so far.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Sunglasses wearing bloke

Chommpers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garçoncanadien View Post
today I was sitting in the park and listening to pas le temps de vivre. The wind started blowing and the leaves started rustling exactly at the chorus - that was electric. most soulful experience I have had so far.
That would be pretty neat, kinda like the stuff that happens in movies.

Thats a great song Ogre, thanks for the link, I hadn't heard any of Mylene's duet's. I am not a huge mylene fan (like I am with Alizée I mean) although she has a lot of great songs I listen too. She has such a great voice.

^ By the beautifully creative Amelie! Merci!