Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 06-15-2007, 05:14 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default Origin of sexy JEAM outfit with sailor collar

Ok, I can't find where people were discussing this before; so, I'll start a new thread. I have seen threads (maybe at AFC) where people showed Mylène wearing a "sailor themed" outfit--short dress as I recall. They suggested that it was something Mylène liked and that's why she designed that outfit for Alizée. Yes, some aspects of Mylène's outfit were more similar to the outfit that Alizée wore for the cover photos of Mes Courants Électriques, but what I just saw bore a striking resemblence to the JEAM outfit and considering the source...
I just watched the 1997/8 movie Lolita with Jeremy Irons and Dominique Swain. She wore a light blue jumper, or whatever you call that, that ended as shorts. It had a sailor's collar and buttons along the side. It was rather snug and did look quite fetching on her. It seemed to me very similar. Considering the Moi...Lolita theme that I think continued to run through much of Alizée's image, I would guess at this being a dominant influence on the design.
I can't find an image on the net. As I still have the DVD, maybe I can get some screen captures tomorrow and post them.
By the way, if you have not watched the movie yet, read the book first. Better yet, listen to Jeremy Irons narrate the book on tape (or CD). His voice is great and since he was also in the movie there is the continuity. The movie was a pretty good attempt to condense, squish, compress the book into only a couple hours.

Merci Fanny
Old 06-15-2007, 08:40 AM

marik is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Ok, I can't find where people were discussing this before; so, I'll start a new thread. I have seen threads (maybe at AFC) where people showed Mylène wearing a "sailor themed" outfit--short dress as I recall. They suggested that it was something Mylène liked and that's why she designed that outfit for Alizée. Yes, some aspects of Mylène's outfit were more similar to the outfit that Alizée wore for the cover photos of Mes Courants Électriques, but what I just saw bore a striking resemblence to the JEAM outfit and considering the source...
I just watched the 1997/8 movie Lolita with Jeremy Irons and Dominique Swain. She wore a light blue jumper, or whatever you call that, that ended as shorts. It had a sailor's collar and buttons along the side. It was rather snug and did look quite fetching on her. It seemed to me very similar. Considering the Moi...Lolita theme that I think continued to run through much of Alizée's image, I would guess at this being a dominant influence on the design.
I can't find an image on the net. As I still have the DVD, maybe I can get some screen captures tomorrow and post them.
By the way, if you have not watched the movie yet, read the book first. Better yet, listen to Jeremy Irons narrate the book on tape (or CD). His voice is great and since he was also in the movie there is the continuity. The movie was a pretty good attempt to condense, squish, compress the book into only a couple hours.
DVD? what DVD? is it the en concert? and screen cap please!

<hehehehehehehe marik is confused LoL!>
Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

The JEAM outfit is rather quickly modified from another outfit that was used in photoshoots for MCE. You can see it on photo shoot video clips.

And that original has no connection to any sailor outfit. So it was really done at the very last moment just before JEAM performances. Seems like Mylène just combined the MCE sailor dress and the other outfit from photo shoot.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marik View Post
DVD? what DVD? is it the en concert? and screen cap please!
Uh. Misunderstanding, I think. I was refering to the DVD of the movie Lolita.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
The JEAM outfit is rather quickly modified from another outfit that was used in photoshoots for MCE. You can see it on photo shoot video clips.
And that original has no connection to any sailor outfit. So it was really done at the very last moment just before JEAM performances. Seems like Mylène just combined the MCE sailor dress and the other outfit from photo shoot.
Hmmm. Ok, I know what you're talking about. I've only seen that other outfit in short clips from the video of the photo shoot (ironic). Maybe you're right and it's all meaningless coincidences from styles more common than I realize.

Merci Fanny
Old 06-15-2007, 01:21 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Where are these photoshoot videos of which you speak?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Just short clips on many interviews (like Fan De for example).
Old 06-15-2007, 05:33 PM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

well if you guys really want to know, based on my research today, the JEAM sailor outfit is somewhat derived from japanese "lolita fashion" mainly from labels like "Manifesteange Metamorphose temps de fille" and "Baby, The Stars Shine Bright" which are japanese clothing labels that specializes in lolita clothing. in japan lolita fashion and gothic lolita fashion is a subculture and i'm pretty sure whoever that was involved in lili's JEAM outfit was inspired by this. the sailor theme outfit used to be one of the rather popular type of the this so called lolita fashion (it is instantly associated with the word "lolita" in japan) and a lot of grown up girls were into wearing this lolita clothing. you'll see this "sailor" theme associated with all things "lolita" in japan, really prevalent in their anime and manga. now lili's french adaptation of the sailor lolita theme outfit is very tame and nowhere close to the "weirdness" that the japanese outfits are, but it is very obvious that whoever that was in charge, perhaps mylene was consciously trying to link the concept of lolita with the outfit.

heres a wiki page on one of the labels i mentioned: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifes...temps_de_fille

and here's a picture of someone who's wearing one of the above mentioned sailor outfit from that very label:

caption says "Lolita Sailor Dress Metamorphose Temps de Fille (gothic/lolita bible)"

oh, and i thought she was a kid, but apparently she's like 20 something, lol.

Last edited by heyamigo; 06-15-2007 at 05:38 PM..
Old 06-15-2007, 05:37 PM

oh and i just wanted to add that i found out all this information today, in a span of about 30 minutes after reading this thread and wondering about the origins of the JEAM sailor outfit as well. please do not assume i am into lolita clothing myself. i'm not like that... lol
Old 06-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Ok, I think I was being a bit impulsive in making my original comments. It was late. That tends to happen at night. Anyway, the movie takes place in the late '40s and I suppose such things were more in style back then in America. So, here you go, just to show you what I was looking at... (oh, by the way, even though in the story Lolita was 12, 14, and at the end 17, Dominique Swain was actually about 17 in '97. To really get the feel for the story it might have been better to use someone younger, like Alizée for instance, who was about 13. Though, that of course would not be possible. That'd be pushing it considering some of the sexual content. I mean a book is one thing, but... Besides, they could not have made her look 17 at the end.)...
http://moi-alizee.us/forums/gallery2...e28236bef8780e

Merci Fanny
Old 06-15-2007, 07:30 PM

haha that brings up the memories of when i first watched the movie back in 99. i was in college and my roommate and i got it from blockbuster rental and we had no idea what the movie was about and oh boy we were in for a big shock. i'm still not over the movie till this day. i try to think back to the emotions that move invoked and i keep thinking how i felt so much sympathy for humbert although what he did was wrong.

anyways yea i see the resembelence in that 3rd pic, and i should change my opinon that the sailor theme outfit is synonymous with "lolita" not just in japan but in other places, especially back in the days.