Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Sunglasses wearing bloke

Chommpers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchaikovsky View Post
D&D?......
Yeah, you know, Dungeons and Dragons, Have a group I play with every Saturday and have been for the past few months. I was a little skeptical about it at first because I thought it was some extreme nerd thing but it actually isn't that bad. It was weird when I sat down to play my first game because the guys I play with are usually around their 30's and you wouldn't really expect them to play, they aren't what people picture as the "typical nerd", they are just normal everyday guys with a wife and a job, who happen to play D&D to have a little fun they aren't the people who live in their parents basement and live in this game. These guys grew up with the game when they were young, and I have found the "nerd" as people image him is actually very few in number and most of the people who play are just normal guys you would never suspect of playing (in fact many members here on AAM play). D&D is kind of like playing a video game only you have unlimited choices. Also fun for a person who performs theatre like me to act like another person. If you want to do something just tell your storyteller AKA The Dungeon Master and anything you do that has a chance for failure you roll a dice for and based on that you either succeed or fail. It can be a lot of fun to hang out with friends and act like you are killing evil creatures I would recommend giving it a try sometime and don't listen to people who tell you its just a game for "nerdy" people, its not, its for anyone with a interest in the fantasy genre and that line between nerd and normal is starting to fade quickly especially since more and more people have started to play video games now.

sorry to side track, but yeah because I play every Sat. with these guys and have been for months and it's something I really enjoy, not really willing to miss it to attend the chat party even though I would love too attend, the times just don't work for me.

^ By the beautifully creative Amelie! Merci!

Last edited by Chommpers; 01-19-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Old 01-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

I steered clear of D&D for a long time myself for a lot of the same reasons, Chommpers, but finally allowed myself to be sucked in a few years ago after I learned how heavily-influenced games like EverQuest and WoW were by old-school D&D. I played in a play-by-post campaign for close to two years with some old friends, and ran a short campaign of my own for a few months. Both were completely awesome, much more fun than even the best video game. I've been trying to get another group together here in my hometown for ages, but so far they've always tended to peter out after just a session or two.

Anyway, that was a really longwinded way of saying that, while it's really too bad you can't make it, I totally get where you're coming from.

Dragging us back on-topic, here...as I've mentioned in the podcast thread, I'm thinking of using Skype + Audacity to record the next commentary track instead of Ventrilo. Essentially, everybody would download both Skype and Audacity. I'd Skype in everybody who wanted to be part of the commentary, and everyone would record their own sound with Audacity. Then, when we were done, everybody would either email me their own sound file, or upload it somewhere like Rapidshare or MegaUpload where I could download it.

Obviously this isn't nearly as easy a set-up as Ventrilo, and it wouldn't allow people to just drop in and out at will (or even just hang out to listen), but the advantages are a higher sound quality (presumably) and greater ease of editing (again, presumably). I think it's a decent trade-off.

What I'd like to do is a trial-run before we actually sit down to do the commentary and see how it works out. Is anybody interested/available this weekend to just hang out for an hour or so to give this a try and just shoot the breeze on an Alizée-related topic? Who knows, we may even get another podcast out of it.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
I think it's a decent trade-off.
To be honest, I'm not sure. It makes the entry requirements pretty high for those less computer savvy.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
To be honest, I'm not sure. It makes the entry requirements pretty high for those less computer savvy.
There is that.

I'd still like to at least give it a test-drive and see if it's worthwhile, though.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:05 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
Yeah or even us less screw with things inclined. If everyone has to send you files, I sense a no go there. I recorded the last one (though I've not listened to it). Maybe I should listen eh?
I will probably be around this weeked and I think I have audacity on already, but that didn't sound like a great solution to me (again need to hear how bad the other one is).
The other thing is that I will defintely have to run everything on my computer this time instead of watching the tv on my couch and so the less stuff I have to mess with and have on the screen to screw up the better. I did download that file of the concert.

Merci Fanny
Old 01-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Hmm. OK, so that's two thumbs down for Skype. I really don't think it's all that much more technical--I mean, if you can figure out how to configure Ventrilo, you're pretty well as savvy as you need to be to configure Skype and press the record button in Audacity --but I can appreciate how uploading/sending the sound files might be more of a hassle.

I guess we can just skip it and go with Ventrilo this time around again. Hopefully if everyone watches the volume on their background audio, sound quality won't be as much of an issue this time.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Hmm. OK, so that's two thumbs down for Skype. I really don't think it's all that much more technical--I mean, if you can figure out how to configure Ventrilo, you're pretty well as savvy as you need to be to configure Skype and press the record button in Audacity --but I can appreciate how uploading/sending the sound files might be more of a hassle.

I guess we can just skip it and go with Ventrilo this time around again. Hopefully if everyone watches the volume on their background audio, sound quality won't be as much of an issue this time.
I guess I'll just be putting everything through the headphones.

Merci Fanny
Old 01-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Pronounced "I'm Rahj" ;)

ImRawdg is on a distinguished road

So, when is it?

And why doesn't someone who has two computers just record from their other one?
Old 01-22-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRawdg View Post
So, when is it?

And why doesn't someone who has two computers just record from their other one?
Quote:
...the 31st if we could bump the time for this up by an hour (say 3PM EST/12PM PST), even if we go a little long. ...
31st 3PM EST/12PM PST so far
and selecting the folder with the concert files and 'add to VLC's media player list' works pretty good.

Merci Fanny
Old 01-22-2009, 08:09 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to be having a technical difficulty with my Vent server and I don't know exactly when it will be back up again hopefully by the weekend, but by mid next week at the latest

sorry for any inconvenience this has caused to this

Jung