Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 02-16-2008, 04:32 PM

SpanishAlizee is on a distinguished road
Default A simple question

A curiosity...

Why the European artists as Alizée and many others don't like in US ?
I think they have a lot of quality. Especially Alizée

thanks
Old 02-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Woof !

Just a Guest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishAlizee View Post
A curiosity...

Why the European artists as Alizée and many others don't like in US ?
I think they have a lot of quality. Especially Alizée

thanks
Language is the main reason.
There have been enough European artists/bands who were succesful in the USA, but 99.9% all in English.
The American market is more restricted to the language "problem" then our European one. We are more easy in jumping into another language I guess.

And since Lili sings in French (and what she should keep doing i.m.o) she probably will never be succesful over there.

But to avoid a big and endless thread (because this discussion/question has been numerous times before) I think it's wise to read this thread as well.
http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=3203

Welcome to the forum b.t.w.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Jericho Kanes the Name

Renegade is on a distinguished road

theres 1 thing tht seperates us
the language barrier

I play Russian roulette everyday.... a man sport, with a bullet life.
YEA a bullet called life.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:16 PM

SpanishAlizee is on a distinguished road

But the main problem in US is that not accept either songs in another language than English.

Here in Europe it does not matter so much. For example, I can not be listening all the time songs in Spanish because I get bored, I like to listen songs in English, French, Italian, Portuguese.... Basically in Europe language is the least important if the song or interpretation touch your heart
Old 02-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Woof !

Just a Guest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But the main problem in US is that not accept either songs in another language than English.

Here in Europe it does not matter so much. For example, I can not be listening all the time songs in Spanish because I get bored, I like to listen songs in English, French, Italian, Portuguese.... Basically in Europe language is the least important if the song or interpretation touch your heart
That's because there is no such thing as "Europe" except on a map
It's just a whole lot of different cultures under an economical flag.
"Europeans" are used to adapt quicker without questioning to another culture or language.
That's the main difference between an American and an "European" citizen i.m.o.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Yes, well, true enough. Part of the issue is that Americans as a whole are not nearly as multilingual.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquared View Post
Yes, well, true enough. Part of the issue is that Americans as a whole are not nearly as multilingual.
The US is very large and has 300 million people. We really only have Mexico as a non-English speaking neighbor (except for some French speakers in Canada). We honestly don't need to be multilingual in our daily lives in most of the country, which is a shame, really. And as Ogre pointed out in another thread, the US puts out such a large volume of entertainment that we are less likely to import it.

If you read Alizée's interviews, including the more recent ones, you'll see she actually seems to like a lot about the US. She loves New York, she loves Disney and Tinkerbell, she loves US TV shows, she got married here, and she likes much of the music. She recently said the American market scares her and this may be the key factor as to why she won't come here as a performer. I think some of what she believes about the US market is mistaken, but it is her choice and I respect that. Breaking into the US market would be difficult, especially singing in French. I had hoped she would be the first in a very long time to do it, but that's just a silly dream of mine, I guess.

I just hope North America makes a respectable contribution to her CD sales, but that might also be hoping for too much.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:08 PM

GianGian is on a distinguished road

They like money...and they would need a huge promotion to make some on north america, a promotion that they probably won't be able to make...so they stick to europe to make a lot of $$$$$
Old 02-17-2008, 08:03 AM

ajaccio corsica is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

hi
actually it's part of the things that europeans are unable to explain
basically it's impossible to understand the way it works there if you're not an american
language barrier is important, of course, however she's popular in mexico
not sure many mexicans speak or understand french though
I've met many americans from upper and middle classes (lower classes are too poor to travel abroad) and most of them didn't know any foreign language
europeans speak at least a foreign language, not perfectly of course but fluently enough to communicate each others
about alizée there well, it's only a question of marketing, french producers don't think it's interesting to promote a french singer in the states and us ones have already a bunch of local singers
cheers

Last edited by ajaccio corsica; 02-17-2008 at 08:16 AM..
Old 02-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Alizée's FireFighter

Youpidou1 is on a distinguished road

You know what, SpanishAlizee, your right on the dot. Many people here aren't use to any other language other than what the mainland language is. Plus they don't like to hear songs in other languages. People don't like to hear other people talking in a different language because they think that the people talking are talking about them or someone else. But it is very bad to not open yourself to some other music other than what we have here. We have some nice music but Alizée is a better addition when she comes to America, and people will turn there head when they listen to her.

All you need is 1 Truck.