Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 07-20-2020, 09:22 PM

Alex Rien is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Shepherd24 View Post
Thanks for bringing them to my attention.
Ça me fait plaisir.

It`s my pleasure.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:42 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
I listen a lot to an Internet radio station called Radio Paradise. It is owned and run by a man who is a former DJ, and it was originally based in Paradise, CA USA. They were fortunate enough to relocate before the terrible fire in 2018 which has been called the "Camp Fire" destroyed about 95% of the town. It was the worst wildfire in California history, and the worst in the US in over 100 years.
Radio Paradise plays really eclectic mix of music, and they are entirely sponsored by listener donations.
I highly recommend looking them up and giving them a try. I have discovered so many terrific artists and music I never heard of before. They also play old favorites and even some classical music, but they rarely play "top 20" type pop hits.
It's a good station because they don't just stick to one genre, so it doesn't get tiring.
http://radioparadise.com/player

Yesterday I heard them playing this song, and I really like the sound, so I looked it up. It is a singer named Zaz, and the song is called "Si jamais j'oublie."
Here's one of Zaz's performances I really like where she sang Je veux in the Montmartre section of Paris.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:55 PM

I'm sure you know this song

Old 07-22-2020, 11:01 PM

Old 07-23-2020, 09:26 PM

Another song by Louane I like...

Old 07-24-2020, 07:15 PM

Thousands of people have been created because of this song (including Charlotte Gainsbourg).

Old 07-25-2020, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

I don't know how many of you are fans of Claudine Longet. She was married to Andy Williams. I always thought she was beautiful, and that her voice had a lovely, attractive quality. This song, "Long Long Time" was written by Gary White. The most well known version of the song was by Linda Ronstadt, who had a hit with it in 1970, and, because of her performance of it, she nominated for a Grammy in 1971. I do love Claudine Longet's rendition, however.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
I don't know how many of you are fans of Claudine Longet. She was married to Andy Williams. I always thought she was beautiful, and that her voice had a lovely, attractive quality. This song, "Long Long Time" was written by Gary White. The most well known version of the song was by Linda Ronstadt, who had a hit with it in 1970, and, because of her performance of it, she nominated for a Grammy in 1971. I do love Claudine Longet's rendition, however.
I had such a crush on her when I was younger. Even seeing images of her now makes my heart skip a beat. She didn't have the strongest voice in my opinion but was so beautiful and charming.

I didn't realize she sang this song, but I have to admit, I love Linda Ronstadt's version more.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:20 AM

Old 07-31-2020, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

This is a song I have loved since I was a kid. I used to play it on the piano, and I memorized the lyrics in both French and English. It was recorded on 1963 by Jeannine Deckers, a Belgian nun called “Souer Sourire”—-“The Singing Nun.” I think she has a great voice, and the song is just lovely.

It’s about Saint Dominique. Below are the lyrics in French & in English from "songfacts.com," and a Wikipedia article about the song, as well as an article from "allmusic.com" about her life and the sad way it ended.

From Wikipedia:

Dominique" is a 1963 French language popular song, written and performed by the Belgian female singer Jeannine Deckers, better known as Sœur Sourire or The Singing Nun. The song is about Saint Dominic, a Spanish-born priest and founder of the Dominican Order, of which she was a member (as Sister Luc-Gabrielle).[2] The English-version lyrics of the song were written by Noël Regney.[3] In addition to French and English, Deckers recorded versions in Dutch, German, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean and Portuguese.
It was a top selling record in 11 countries in late 1963 and early 1964...
...The song won the Grammy Award for Best Gospel or Other Religious Recording (Musical) in 1964.[6] It was also a nominee for Grammy Award for Record of the Year, and Sœur Sourire was a nominee for Best Female Vocal Performance... It was the second foreign language song to hit No. 1 on the Hot 100 in 1963, the first being "Sukiyaki" by Kyu Sakamoto. For the next ten years or so, although there were a number of hits with most of the vocals in a language other than English (e.g., The Sandpipers' "Guantanamera", René y René's "Lo Mucho Que Te Quiero", etc.), no other purely foreign language song reached the Billboard Hot 100's top 40 until the Spanish language hit "Eres tú (Touch The Wind)" in 1974."Dominique" outsold Elvis Presley during its stay on the Billboard Hot 100; it was the second to last No. 1 hit before the British Invasion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominique

From AllMusic.com:

The Singing Nun, an unassuming member of a Belgian religious order who was also known as Soeur Sourire, hit the top of the music charts with a song about St. Dominic, who established the Dominicans. The Singing Nun, whose real name was Jeanine Deckers, sang "Dominique" in both English and French. The single relegated the Kingsmen and their "Louie Louie" to the number two spot.

Sister Luc-Gabrielle, who entered the religious order in 1959, penned "Dominique" and recorded it and a few of her other compositions for personal release only, mainly to be used as gifts. When the Philips Record Company discovered her potential appeal, they offered the nun a contract and christened her Soeur Sourire. To American audiences she was the Singing Nun. She did not actively seek fame, although she sang for Ed Sullivan's television program in 1964 via tape. Live performances did not appeal to her, and in fact even the taped broadcast was almost blocked by her Mother Superior. She underscored her aversion for the limelight in 1967 by releasing the album I Am Not a Star.

Her successful single did not endear her to the Dominicans' Mother Superior, who viewed the popular song as "impertinent." It probably didn't help matters when MGM based a musical on her life in 1965 and cast "Debbie Reynolds" as a moped-riding nun who was romantically drawn to Chad Everett. That same year, the Singing Nun withdrew from the public eye and gave up her burgeoning musical career. By 1966, she had a complete change of heart, returned to music, and quit the convent. After the release of I Am Not a Star, her music tackled controversial subjects. "The Golden Pill" concerned the issue of birth control pills, of which she was in favor and the Pope condemned. Together with a woman named Annie Pescher in Belgium, she founded a school for children who suffered from the disability of autism.

Unfortunately, her previous success in music did not bring lasting happiness. In fact, it added to her troubles. The Singing Nun and Pescher took their lives in 1985 with a combination of pills and alcohol when the government ordered her to pay back taxes amounting to more than 60,000 dollars which accrued from her time as a singer and recording artist. The demand, which put their school in jeopardy, came despite the fact that the Singing Nun had given all profits to her order.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-s...426/biographym

FRENCH LYRICS

Dominique, nique, nique s'en allait tout simplement
Routier pauvre et chantant
En tous chemins, en tous lieux, il ne parle que du bon Dieu

Il ne parle que du bon Dieu
A l'e poque ou Jean-sans-Terre de' Angleterre etait Roi
Dominique, notre Pere, combattit les Albigeois
Repeat first 4 lines: Chorus

Ni chameau, ni diligence il parcout l'Europe a pied
Scandinavie ou Provence dans la sainte pauvrete

Refrain