Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Hylas1896 is on a distinguished road
Default Alizee's International Web Presence...

Okay, here is an experiment.

Search for Alizee, Mylene Farmer, and Natasha St Pier and look at the first 6 or 7 pages of results. Now, ignoring sheer popularity in numbers or perhaps even quantity of sites, it seems that Alizee has a much more international web presence.

Mylene Farmer surely has more fans, but not fan bases in all of:
India, China, Mexico, and so on. I mean, take a look at all the countries linked to from Alizee India.

It seems Alizee is smaller levels of outright popularity but a wider range of appeal, resulting in a sort of cult-phenomenon ('cult' as in cult film, etc... regardless of other meanings ).

Hylas1896
Old 08-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Man Among Men

puffyrock2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylas1896 View Post
Okay, here is an experiment.

Search for Alizee, Mylene Farmer, and Natasha St Pier and look at the first 6 or 7 pages of results. Now, ignoring sheer popularity in numbers or perhaps even quantity of sites, it seems that Alizee has a much more international web presence.

Mylene Farmer surely has more fans, but not fan bases in all of:
India, China, Mexico, and so on. I mean, take a look at all the countries linked to from Alizee India.

It seems Alizee is smaller levels of outright popularity but a wider range of appeal, resulting in a sort of cult-phenomenon ('cult' as in cult film, etc... regardless of other meanings ).

Hylas1896
She's absolutely a cult musician, she has a large amount of fans in one area (Mexico) and handfuls of dedicated fans scattered about elsewhere. Her popularity, here at least, tends to be word of mouth. Very much a cult artist, almost like, say, Jandek and Buckethead.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

i thought we already agreed on this? we are, in fact, a cult. and not just us here in Alizee America, but Alizee fans throughout.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:49 AM

Let me restate it this way. I was struck most by how small yet how internationally penetrating Alizee's fandom was. This after I looked for an American fan club for Natasha St Pier and I couldn't find one. Natasha is a decent artist, why not? Check out her Eurovision performance, for example.

Or even better, Mylene Farmer. She has a fandom-cult if anyone does. But she's not a 'cult' icon, in the other sense of the the word. There is no 'niche' in her appeal, she is a French pop-icon megastar. No small yet dedicated fandom burrowing it's way around the world. She lives in LA, and goes largely unnoticed, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think an artist with Alizee's international scope and presence would be possible 20 years ago, before the internet.

Hylas196
Old 08-18-2009, 01:28 AM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Hylas1896
This goes back to much of the philosophy of the "Alizée Effect" discussed in many threads of the past. She touches fans in a unique way, across genre, age, and culture. Can't really put our finger on why. It just "is". Those who got it, get it, and can't understand why those who don't, don't. Those who don't can't understand what those who got it get.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
This goes back to much of the philosophy of the "Alizée Effect" discussed in many threads of the past. She touches fans in a unique way, across genre, age, and culture. Can't really put our finger on why. It just "is". Those who got it, get it, and can't understand why those who don't, don't. Those who don't can't understand what those who got it get.
well, i think its quite obvious that one of the biggest factor is her beauty!
honestly, there isn't a single person here who hasn't talked about how beautiful, or adorable she is.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
A year or so ago I read a book about body language, which spoke of Princess Diana in particular as a master practitioner. Alizee seems to have similar innate, if not universally appreciated, talents, perhaps groomed from long experience as a performer as a child. From my limited knowledge about body language, so many of her performances appear as absolutely textbook expressions of that subject.

You probably know what I'm talking about, those 'little moments' that are so endearing. And this has universal, though targeted, appeal.

Hylas1896
Old 08-19-2009, 05:06 AM
Traceur

Fyrel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A year or so ago I read a book about body language, which spoke of Princess Diana in particular as a master practitioner. Alizee seems to have similar innate, if not universally appreciated, talents, perhaps groomed from long experience as a performer as a child. From my limited knowledge about body language, so many of her performances appear as absolutely textbook expressions of that subject.

You probably know what I'm talking about, those 'little moments' that are so endearing. And this has universal, though targeted, appeal.

Hylas1896
I agree with this; it's her subtle facial expressions and body language that set her apart from everybody else.

And the whole night elf dance thing couldn't have hurt her popularity either.

Être et durer.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 PM

you guys ever wonder if we're the only ones who notice the subtleties of Alizee that makes her so unique to us?

i mean, im sure many a other people in France just say, meh, she's just another singer.
sorta like what Lady Gagag is to me. I love her songs!! but not that interesting as a person.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:36 PM

Sphery is on a distinguished road

I have got a question, on twitter the user 'mellealizee' is the real Alizée? Because if yes, there would be an interesting news.