Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 11-27-2011, 07:35 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
I just found out I'm gonna miss the window for firearm deer season by about 2 weeks. This whole hunter safety course requirement is bull. Hypothetically, someone who has never held a firearm, but was born before 1980, can buy a permit, but anyone after that cannot without this stupid course.

At least coyote season is year round. Speaking of, what is a reasonable caliber to use on coyotes (as in kills but not totally mutilates)? I was thinking of using the Sig, but don't know if the .223/5.56 is enough to take one down. If not, I can use the Weatherby.
.223 is a very common Coyote round, I have a friend who uses nothing but a 20" AR for Coyotes. A light round is actually preferable as to not damage the pelt. I have toyed with 110 gr. .30 calibers, but I think I'll just use a FMJ or match bullet of a heavier weight for Coyotes. The one .30 cal bullet I tried (speer 110 gr hollow point) has a balistic coefficient that is less than any of my .357 or 9mm bullets I use lol. the bullet drops 5 feet between 300 and 400 yards, out of a .300 win mag. Would be fine up to those ranges though.

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-27-2011, 07:45 PM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
.223 is a very common Coyote round, I have a friend who uses nothing but a 20" AR for Coyotes. A light round is actually preferable as to not damage the pelt. I have toyed with 110 gr. .30 calibers, but I think I'll just use a FMJ or match bullet of a heavier weight for Coyotes. The one .30 cal bullet I tried (speer 110 gr hollow point) has a balistic coefficient that is less than any of my .357 or 9mm bullets I use lol. the bullet drops 5 feet between 300 and 400 yards, out of a .300 win mag. Would be fine up to those ranges though.

Regards,

Jung
Guess I'll just stick with the Sig, then. Now all I have to do is practice some more (and by practice, I mean find an excuse to go shooting again). Since pelts are the most valuable part of a coyote, you'd want penetration correct? So it would be best to use FMJ's and avoid hollow points?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:52 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Guess I'll just stick with the Sig, then. Now all I have to do is practice some more (and by practice, I mean find an excuse to go shooting again). Since pelts are the most valuable part of a coyote, you'd want penetration correct? So it would be best to use FMJ's and avoid hollow points?
With the .223 I don't think you have to worry too much, my buddy uses wolf match hollow points if I recall correctly. Match bullets don't exactly expand very much either. I know a few people who use the V-max with good results too, they typically don't exit. The Ideal shot is actually one where they Coyote is facing you and place it right in his chest, a .223 shouldn't exit and they will simply spral out right there. but things aren't always ideal in real life xD

regards,

Jung

Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
With the .223 I don't think you have to worry too much, my buddy uses wolf match hollow points if I recall correctly. Match bullets don't exactly expand very much either. I know a few people who use the V-max with good results too, they typically don't exit. The Ideal shot is actually one where they Coyote is facing you and place it right in his chest, a .223 shouldn't exit and they will simply spral out right there. but things aren't always ideal in real life xD

regards,

Jung
Good to know. I'm trying to learn as much as I can beforehand so I can avoid screwing up in the field. I kinda wish there were others in my immediate family that could have taught me this stuff when I was younger, but better late than never, I suppose.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:00 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Good to know. I'm trying to learn as much as I can beforehand so I can avoid screwing up in the field. I kinda wish there were others in my immediate family that could have taught me this stuff when I was younger, but better late than never, I suppose.
You can get all the advice in the world, but the best way to learn is still out in the field. I'm sure you will do just fine, just have to be patient. If something doesn't work out quite like you planned one time then next time maybe try something a little different.

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-27-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
You can get all the advice in the world, but the best way to learn is still out in the field. I'm sure you will do just fine, just have to be patient. If something doesn't work out quite like you planned one time then next time maybe try something a little different.

Regards,

Jung
Very true. I just like to have an idea of how to do something before I try it myself. That way I'm not wasting my time with elementary mistakes, and can adapt what I know to fit my needs.

But as you said, experience is the best teacher.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:09 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

I think you will do just fine, feel free to ask questions though sometimes it is nice to have a little help on that end xD. Might actually take one of the .357's out on some coyotes this year if I'm able to get out to call some this year anyway. It's been a bad year for shooting this year for some reason. I've only have the rifles out maybe 3 times other than testing out loads or new setups .

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-27-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
It's been a bad year for shooting this year for some reason. I've only have the rifles out maybe 3 times other than testing out loads or new setups .

Regards,

Jung
Bummer

This year has probably been the best year for gun related things in my life anyway. I got my FOID in January, first gun in May, second in July, third in September and fourth in October. I've also drastically improved since I started shooting last year. And hopefully I will go hunting for the first time in December.

Edit:

Quote:
feel free to ask questions though
In that case, here's a question for you: Is this, or is it not the ugliest gun you've seen?

Chiappa Rhino

I don't know what it is about it, but every time I see it, I can't help but think how ugly it is and I even get a little pissed off at it.

It's not just that gun, I also have an unnatural hatred towards the Taurus Judge. Don't know why, just do.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 11-27-2011 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-27-2011, 09:05 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Bummer

This year has probably been the best year for gun related things in my life anyway. I got my FOID in January, first gun in May, second in July, third in September and fourth in October. I've also drastically improved since I started shooting last year. And hopefully I will go hunting for the first time in December.
just been working a lot this year and don't have much time during the day, so I load at night to supply for when I do xD. Trying something new tonight actually, putting small rifle primers in the .357 behind a load of H110 in hopes that it will all burn by time the bullet leaves the barrel, which it should in the 8" one. Hopefully test them out at the indoor range tomorrow, and hopefully they work out well and aren't over pressured now. xD

Quote:
In that case, here's a question for you: Is this, or is it not the ugliest gun you've seen?

Chiappa Rhino

I don't know what it is about it, but every time I see it, I can't help but think how ugly it is and I even get a little pissed off at it.

It's not just that gun, I also have an unnatural hatred towards the Taurus Judge. Don't know why, just do.

I believe the Hi Point is one of the ugliest ones I've seen.

Good for one magazine and then you just as well throw it at someone instead as it's bound to malfunction after that.

Regards,

Jung

Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
just been working a lot this year and don't have much time during the day, so I load at night to supply for when I do xD. Trying something new tonight actually, putting small rifle primers in the .357 behind a load of H110 in hopes that it will all burn by time the bullet leaves the barrel, which it should in the 8" one. Hopefully test them out at the indoor range tomorrow, and hopefully they work out well and aren't over pressured now. xD
That's one benefit to working nights, you have the entire day to do what you want (the downside is if you're up all day you still have to work all night).

Quote:
I believe the Hi Point is one of the ugliest ones I've seen.

Good for one magazine and then you just as well throw it at someone instead as it's bound to malfunction after that.

Regards,

Jung
Before I saw the picture, I misread that as the High Power. Which I would have had to disagree with, because it is a very sexy gun.

If I had to describe it in one word: Beautiful.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 11-27-2011 at 09:19 PM..