Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 07-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Cracka!

Shep is on a distinguished road
Default About the French Language.

I have heard two sides of the story when it comes to the French and the French language. I've heard that they will appreciate it when you attempt to speak their languages, but I've also heard that they will look down at you if you speak it incorrectly... which is true or are they both?
"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late." - Jack Handey
Old 07-24-2006, 02:39 AM
no use for a title

nurvonic is on a distinguished road

i actually never heard of that before. us americans usually look down at other people who speak english incorrectly (i know i do) so i would understand if both of those were true
Old 07-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Cracka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurvonic
i actually never heard of that before. us americans usually look down at other people who speak english incorrectly (i know i do) so i would understand if both of those were true
Actually... I try to be as nice as possible to immigrants/visitors who try to speak english. At least I would like to think I do. I think most people I know do the same.
"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late." - Jack Handey
Old 07-24-2006, 02:52 PM

Matrix is on a distinguished road

Boy this is a loaded question.... Someone standby with a firetruck, lol
Old 07-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Cracka!

I didn't really intend to make it seem "loaded" I'm just trying to get my facts straight. I've heard from several different sources both sides of the question, I would like to know which one's true.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Allez L'OM!

aditya8617 is on a distinguished road

Well, my friend (He is half French and half American) says that most french people do appreciate the attempts u make at speaking their language. But there are some others who don't like if u speak it incorrectly. As a tourist u will rarely come across these types though.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Cracka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya8617
Well, my friend (He is half French and half American) says that most french people do appreciate the attempts u make at speaking their language. But there are some others who don't like if u speak it incorrectly. As a tourist u will rarely come across these types though.
That's cool. I kinda figured that was the case anyway, just wanted to verify the facts, ya know. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 PM

Pirate515 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya8617
Well, my friend (he is half French and half American) says that most French people do appreciate the attempts you make at speaking their language. But there are some others who don't like it if you speak it incorrectly. As a tourist you will rarely come across these types though.
That's what I've heard as well. I am this way too, if you make an attempt to speak English here in this country, I will make my best attempt to understand you even if you are not speaking it clearly or correctly. What I sometimes do when I encounter someone who is not speaking correctly is correct them so that they won't make the same mistake again. But to laugh at them and/or snub them is extremely rude.

The people that I do hate are the arrogant types who come to this country with the attitude that we should be speaking THEIR language. Anyone who pulls this in France deserves to get snubbed by the French (and the same goes for all other countries).

Last edited by Pirate515; 07-24-2006 at 06:56 PM..
Old 07-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Cracka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate515
That's what I've heard as well. I am this way too, if you make an attempt to speak English here in this country, I will make my best attempt to understand you if you are not speaking it clearly or correctly. What I sometimes do when I encounter someone who is not speaking correctly is correct them so that they won't make the same mistake again. But to laugh at them and/or snob them is extremely rude.

The people that I do hate are the arrogant types who come to this country with the attitude that we should be speaking THEIR language. Anyone who pulls this in France deserves to get snubbed by the French as well (and the same goes for all other countries).
I agree, 100%.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm awesome, u know it

Spartan500 is on a distinguished road

Same for me

Last edited by Spartan500; 07-24-2006 at 10:41 PM..