Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-03-2008, 08:29 PM

Quantum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
Just look at the amount of mistakes in that performance. It did not take much more than that...

Beside, I know well enough what she was doing. She didn't practice for weeks for it...

If you say 'less than weeks for practice,' that I can believe. But of course 'weeks' is much more than just two days. And practice is only part of the total preparation which begins with conceptualization and extends through to the performance itself. Two days beginning to end, that I have a problem believing. Just the travel time to Mexico alone and set-up would easily eat-up two days. But I think we've beaten this horse past dead.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
Just look at the amount of mistakes in that performance. It did not take much more than that...

Beside, I know well enough what she was doing. She didn't practice for weeks for it...

Does anyone else get the feeling that RMJ has lost it somehow? Not so long ago he was Alizée's biggest fan, now nothing but criticism and mean-spirited comments about her. Is he still a fan or has he turned into something more sinister? I would ask him directly but he won't answer.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

This performance is similar to MJ performances she’s done before, which she probably knows backwards and forwards. I’m not saying it was a bad performance, but it didn’t look to me like she did much preparation for it. It looks to me like she hasn’t really done much of anything for the last 4 months.

If she hasn’t already, I hope she gets on a regimen of workouts and rehearsals everyday and gets a positive vibe going again. It’s easy to let things get you down and you end up sitting around and being depressed. Even though the award show appeared to be an exciting event for her, I couldn’t help but to sense a certain underlying uneasiness. Hopefully, some positive things are in the works.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
If you say 'less than weeks for practice,' that I can believe. But of course 'weeks' is much more than just two days. And practice is only part of the total preparation which begins with conceptualization and extends through to the performance itself. Two days beginning to end, that I have a problem believing. Just the travel time to Mexico alone and set-up would easily eat-up two days. But I think we've beaten this horse past dead.
^you have to take Quantum Physics to understand Quantum's post

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
Dude, you keep saying stuff like this--like you've somehow uncovered the rosetta stone to Alizée's success--but then you fail to follow through and list what these ingredients are. This isn't a Hitchcock movie, man...you don't score extra points by keeping the audience in suspense. So I ask yet again: what's the up?

Do or do not, sir. There is no try.
It is a little more involved than I intend to get into here. I'm not sure a fan site is the right place. If I were pitching it formally I would probably use some of her old videos to help make the various points, among with other aides. I will say this much. Do I think having a focus would turn her career around? Probably. Can she make a successful career without doing at least some of these things? Probably not. But before I end my soliloquy, I ought explain something of the basic process. Break it down into three steps. First is for her or her representative (whoever makes the important decisions) to understand the importance of having an artistic focus tied to her talent and temperament and one that takes into consideration her existing audience. Tying those things together might take a little research, but not that much. Second is for her to choose her performing niche. I have a pretty solid opinion of what I think would work, but it need not be that. My idea is based on her past success. Why re-invent the wheel? That leaves her to either accept my suggestion in total, adapt or modify it to something a little different, but still having a focus, or come up with her own. Whatever her choice once began, she would need to stick to it closely for a period of at least a few years. As I've said earlier, experimenting with artistic styles in the public marketplace is not a particularly good idea - not when you've already proven yourself and have an established fan base who bring with them their own expectations. One important question I have about her is whether she can still pull off what she's done in the past. I would probably ask her to do a demo using her chosen style or focus to see if she can still do it. And third is implementation, which sounds difficult perhaps but really helps deepen the opportunity for creativity, since everyone working on her projects now knows where not to go artistically and where to focus. It allows those involved to expend their creativity working to adapt the performer's style to their own talents. The difference between this and what seems to be her current approach is like a symphony attempting to play Tchaikovsky's first piano concerto without a conductor, versus a symphony having one. It helps produce concordance something her work might benefit from. I've barely scratched the surface of this subject, but I've expended about all the effort I intend to in this forum. Hope it helps answer your question.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Allez L'OM!

aditya8617 is on a distinguished road

Boy! RMJ is pissed.

After reading 10 pages worth of arguments I tend to agree with RMJ's views. RMJ has been harsh with his words but she deserves it. Not just cause she missed the concert but because of her overall performance since her new start. She has been average at best.

The reason she was so good in the MF era is because MF had her practice all her dance sequences, interviews and other matters really hard so she felt comfortable on screen. And of course one delivers a natural performance when one feels confident and prepared.

There is no one now to push her to do her best. She just puts in a bare minimum effort and she is getting those minimum results. Right from the start of this adventure she has been very apprehensive of failure and the fact that she didn't get good response in the early stages (of the adventure) has made her put in half hearted effort all the time. If she wants to regain her success she has to put in a great deal of effort. Otherwise enjoy the sunshine in Corse. I have enough good memories of her to last me a lifetime.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:56 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya8617 View Post
Boy! RMJ is pissed.

After reading 10 pages worth of arguments I tend to agree with RMJ's views. RMJ has been harsh with his words but she deserves it. Not just cause she missed the concert but because of her overall performance since her new start. She has been average at best.

The reason she was so good in the MF era is because MF had her practice all her dance sequences, interviews and other matters really hard so she felt comfortable on screen. And of course one delivers a natural performance when one feels confident and prepared.

There is no one now to push her to do her best. She just puts in a bare minimum effort and she is getting those minimum results. Right from the start of this adventure she has been very apprehensive of failure and the fact that she didn't get good response in the early stages (of the adventure) has made her put in half hearted effort all the time. If she wants to regain her success she has to put in a great deal of effort. Otherwise enjoy the sunshine in Corse. I have enough good memories of her to last me a lifetime.
Just reminded me of an interview with Jody Foster talking about when she was working with Robert Deniro on Taxi Driver. As I recall she said that he advised her something about that the way to prepare and have a natural seeming performance was to practice the heck out of the lines until it was so easy to do that then one could then ad-lib without feeling nervous about diverging from the script.

Merci Fanny
Old 11-04-2008, 10:41 AM

clique is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Try "jumping around" (as you put it) on stage in front of thousands of people without enough rehearsal and other preparation, even just for a few minutes. See if you can do it without looking 'awful.' I'll wager you can't. To me it looked like enough effort had been expended - maybe not the right effort, but enough.
I never said anything about the quality of the perfomance. You're the one who brought it up. All I said in my first post was that how can she possibly have been preparing for "much longer than two days" (as you put it) when she was on stage for literally not much more than 2 minutes (doing a performance she's done a bunch of times in the past). It doesn't make any sense.

Edit: And before you reply to this post: If you want to believe she spent days/weeks/months or whatever preparing for this 2 minute performance, then I'm not going to stop you. Can't be bothered arguing about silly stuff right now.

Last edited by clique; 11-04-2008 at 10:53 AM..
Old 11-04-2008, 07:26 PM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clique View Post
Can't be bothered arguing about silly stuff right now.
You whuse!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clique View Post
Can't be bothered arguing about silly stuff right now.

Of course. I'm a bit pressed for time as well.