Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-14-2019, 09:23 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Default "One day I ache"....not today!

"One day I'm gone"....not today....."One day I ache"......not today!
I was on my way home from work today when I came to a 4 way intersection with a stop sign each 'way'. The car coming from my right either didn't see his stop sign or chose to ignore it. If he hadn't cut hard right at the last second, I probably would have T boned him and it would not have been a Youpidou day! I had to mute a couple of segments.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15af...ew?usp=sharing

Attachment 2834

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 10-08-2019 at 10:47 PM..
Old 09-14-2019, 09:07 PM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

I had never seen an intersection with 4 stops. How do you know who has the right of way?
Old 09-14-2019, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
"One day I'm gone"....not today....."One day I ache"......not today!
I was on my way home from work today when I came to a 4 way intersection with a stop sign each 'way'. The car coming from my right either didn't see his stop sign or chose to ignore it. If he hadn't cut hard right at the last second, I probably would have T boned him and it would not have been a Youpidou day! I had to mute a couple of segments.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15af...ew?usp=sharing

Attachment 2834
Oh wow! That was pretty scary to watch. I’m glad you are ok...and the music didn’t have to miss a beat!

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
I had never seen an intersection with 4 stops. How do you know who has the right of way?
In the US it is called a “4 way stop.” Everyone must come to a complete stop. If there are two cars, the first one who arrived goes first. When there are 3 cars, the person on the right goes first. After that it can get a little complicated. I started to type out all the rules I could think of, then I thought maybe it would be more accurate and easier for you if I give you this link.
https://www.topdriver.com/education-...s-4-way-stops/

Last edited by Bamagirl; 09-14-2019 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 09-15-2019, 01:08 AM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

These days on top of being a responsible driver, you have to be on the lookout for drivers like this

Glad you're ok Scruffy
Old 09-15-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
In the US it is called a “4 way stop.” Everyone must come to a complete stop. If there are two cars, the first one who arrived goes first. When there are 3 cars, the person on the right goes first. After that it can get a little complicated. I started to type out all the rules I could think of, then I thought maybe it would be more accurate and easier for you if I give you this link.
https://www.topdriver.com/education-...s-4-way-stops/
I see. It is fun that if there are 4 cars, the rule is "wait for the most aggressive driver to pass". Thanks for the info
Old 09-15-2019, 06:36 AM

Silencio is on a distinguished road

I wonder why such "4 way stops" exist at all. If it is expensive to put a traffic light there, then maybe it would be better to assign a primary and a secondary road placing yield signs on the latter.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio View Post
I wonder why such "4 way stops" exist at all. If it is expensive to put a traffic light there, then maybe it would be better to assign a primary and a secondary road placing yield signs on the latter.
Usually the intersections with 4 way stops are not too busy, but busy enough that the wait could be very long for the people who have to yield if one road always had the right of way. However, a busy intersection with a 4 way stop can get very backed up. Once an intersection starts getting heavier traffic, they often put in a light. In my town, they are putting a lot of roundabouts in intersections that previously had only stop signs. I think that will help a lot with traffic flow.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:51 AM

Silencio is on a distinguished road

I got it, thanks.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:22 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

This is a Parkway on a reservation in the city of Boston and for that reason, I think there is a reluctance to put traffic lights here, but as the city grows, traffic has grown worse and worse and I'm sure they will have to put a traffic light there in the near future.

There are people like this who will try and zip right through without stopping. Being aware of that, I saw this guy coming and instead of making the kind of stop I should have made, I did a very quick stop and go and it surprised the hell out of this guy.

Even though there's no shortage of guys who run these stop signs, the biggest problem is people who are talking on their phones or texting because when traffic is heavy, you'll have 3 or 4 cars coming up at roughly the same time and it's important you keep track of who got there first and if someone doesn't go when it's their turn to go because they are communicating with someone else, it messes everyone else up.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
In my town, they are putting a lot of roundabouts in intersections that previously had only stop signs. I think that will help a lot with traffic flow.
Roundabouts work pretty well for this kind of intersections