Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > The AAm Project

Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
its only illegal if we burn a couple thousand dvd's and start throwing them around like mardi gras beads.......
it is illegal if you burn just one that is not for personal use and that is only if you have proof of purchase of the album and if you didn't it would also be illegal

I think Sony (or any other record company) could legally sue you for up to $20,000 per song shared

Old 07-08-2009, 08:01 PM

BlackAnthem is on a distinguished road

Ok but don't sell it to them. Just give it to them. Even so leave them in a box with a "take one" sign on it.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

sooo.. to be clear, as long as we're NOT making any sort of economic profit off of it, it's not illegal right? The whole copyright law thing regards fans buying one album, burning copies of it and selling them right?

Old 07-09-2009, 04:55 PM

BlackAnthem is on a distinguished road

It's to my understanding that you are not allowed to sell "burned" albums for profit without the consent of Sony/Alizee/her agent. Which I am not getting. So providing maybe, like someone said on a different thread, a fan made demo of bits and pieces of music and pictures. You know like a slideshow of her at concerts singing and pictures of her to music.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

copyright laws apply even when a profit is not made, hence most of the free file sharing sites are no more

Old 07-09-2009, 10:11 PM

rcs is on a distinguished road
Cool

The college radio thing has been done. It shouldn't stop there though. I think you need to keep networking. Start making friends in advertising, communications/media, clubs and people in general who like to get out (that means away from the computer) and spread the word on the street. Who in your city is willing to network? Surround yourself with those friends and try to keep growing that circle. Sounds like an Amway approach, but it is the concept that I think may help some of us.

Alizee: Wowww!
Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 PM
A-Team

edgar93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
it is illegal if you burn just one that is not for personal use and that is only if you have proof of purchase of the album and if you didn't it would also be illegal

I think Sony (or any other record company) could legally sue you for up to $20,000 per song shared
I wonder what people like Disque-Drop did to avoid this problem, anyone knows?
It would suck if Sony sued you while you were just trying to promote Alizée, ehmm, or do their job.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

I took a grad-level course on copyright law in college, and whenever things like this come up it reminds me of something that professor said: these laws only exist as far as the copyright holder is willing to enforce them. Not to say it's suddenly legal, but if Sony or whomever else approves, what's the problem? There's also a lot you can get away with under "fair use" with samples if you can prove that it's helping (or at least not hurting) the artist, and is all non-profit. Basically, I wouldn't worry about making reasonable demo discs as long as they don't feature, like, large chunks of an album.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:06 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post

so long as the clips are under 20 seconds I believe once it gets over that it becomes illegal, but then again people on youtube get away with it all the time
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ptsh-YRwFQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ptsh-YRwFQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If it has to be under 20 seconds, maybe something like this video I posted specifically for promoting her could work. It has several clips around 20 seconds in length. You could include attachments for links to individual 20 second links of songs to make it easier for them to pick and choose.

It's fairly easy for anyone to make up a video like this and post it so they can include whatever songs they think would work best, Psych, MCE, Gour, whatever.

Even though for the most part, where she has both an English and French version to a song, I prefer the French version, I started off this demo with all English songs because I thought they were the ones most likely to get played by U.S. station.

I started off with Youpidoo because it has a catchy beat to it and whoever made this video, had several beautiful views of Alizée in just this short segment. If the music doesn't quite hook them, then the video surely will.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Speaking of copyrights, I just got this in my e-mail today from Dailymotion:
Quote:
Some or all of the elements composing your video, "Alizée - Fifty Sixty - Lefty Remix," have been flagged as infringing upon the intellectual property rights of a third party (e.g. author, producer, artist, etc.). It has been removed at the request of one or more of the rights holders.
It sure would be nice if they would tell you which elements and who claimed ownership. The video is all stills from various sources. It had to be one of the photos because the music is mine and Alizée made her voice available for free download for the purpose of allowing us to make remixes. And none of those photos appear for over 20 seconds.

Like Ben said, they can enforce it if they want to.