Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road
Default Lady Gaga?

So whadda ya all think of her? Kinda hard to miss these days all over the radio, tv, clubs, etc. And really, really popular on French Alizée forums! Maybe her speaking French in this EPK helped. Certainly the Clockwork Orange music there scored brownie points with me, as did the Bowie and Marilyn Manson influence. Though I find her LoveGame single horribly obnoxious. At least she writes her own music. Poker Face and Just Dance (think Eliza Dushku's short dress in the first episode of Dollhouse) are catchy. But my favorite track from her admittedly mixed debut album (yeah I bought it) has got to be Paparazzi. The video just came out and... whoah. It's like Mylene Farmer by way of Matthew Barney.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QQJ9Vi8GLok&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QQJ9Vi8GLok&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 05-30-2009, 01:21 PM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

Well, all I have to say is that if you like this, you should have no problem with Britaney's music...

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Old 05-30-2009, 01:58 PM
In pursuit...

mavsluver41 is on a distinguished road

I went to Switzerland last summer and heard "Just Dance" on the radio. I remember thinking it was really catchy and bearable. A couple months later it became popular in America and became the definition of "overplayed." Now, I have to resist the urge to stab my ears repeatedly every time I hear it .

I find Lady Gaga a bit annoying, but her songs are definitely catchy. Catchy songs + interesting personality = success in America . But she really needs to take a new direction because her songs, beats and all, are getting rather repetitive.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

Both the video and the song are certainly brilliant.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

Her music is honestly pretty decent--I think mavs has it right when he calls it 'catchy and bearable' on the first listen--but is way overplayed. Lady Gaga herself I find kind of ridiculous, though, and it's hard for me to separate the two.

I have the same problem with Amy Winehouse--great music, totally reprehensible person. It's a shame.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Well i'm sure you can all guess my opinion on this...
Old 05-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
Well i'm sure you can all guess my opinion on this...
You find her ideas intriguing, and would like to subscribe to her newsletter?
Old 05-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
You find her ideas intriguing, and would like to subscribe to her newsletter?
The first part yes, the second no, and you missed a third part, i'd like to stop hearing some of her nonsense being played every 5 minutes on the radio, and a fourth part, I want to throw her into a Wacken crowd and see what happens.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:19 PM
In pursuit...

mavsluver41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
Her music is honestly pretty decent...Lady Gaga herself I find kind of ridiculous, though, and it's hard for me to separate the two.

I have the same problem with Amy Winehouse--great music, totally reprehensible person. It's a shame.
Okay, I just watched the video, and I must say I agree with the above sentiment. The song itself is actually alright (the chorus especially), but the singer comes across as kind of wacky. Maybe that's what she is going for in all her videos, but the over-the-top white-blond hair and random facial stickers are overkill in my opinion .
Old 05-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Heh, see the video's exactly what I do like (wacky). Yeah she's definitely overplayed, but I don't know if I'd categorize her with the likes of Britney, etc. I mean, she used to be one of the people writing those songs behind the scenes, so there is a musical similarity, but... If this video's anything to go by, Gaga seems much darker. As I mentioned in the first post, it almost reminds me of avant-garde artist Matthew Barney. Certainly her persona - false, annoying, and pretentious as it may be - strikes of Bowie, Manson, Warhol, etc. (all people I dig). And I know she pretty much does everything from music to image herself. Wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a fan, there's too much (including an aforementioned single) I actively dislike. But she's definitely... intriguing. Maybe it's easier for me because I don't play the radio or watch tv much, so can choose when to see/hear her.