Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-23-2010, 05:17 AM
J'ai pas vingt ans

Jurre is on a distinguished road

Bwoah, Eurovision sucks (except for Sieneke )
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 AM

Criss_pl is on a distinguished road

No.

When you look through last years participants, you won't find any popular singers/bands from Western Europe. Eurovision, as you stated, is rather a place to launch a career, not to promote a musician. This year's Eurovision was much better than the previous ones, but it is still a bad place for a popular artist.

France, itself has a lot of successes in this contest, 5 times winner, a lot of high places.

Eurovision is definitely not a good place for Alizée
Old 07-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss_pl View Post
No.

When you look through last years participants, you won't find any popular singers/bands from Western Europe. Eurovision, as you stated, is rather a place to launch a career, not to promote a musician. This year's Eurovision was much better than the previous ones, but it is still a bad place for a popular artist.

France, itself has a lot of successes in this contest, 5 times winner, a lot of high places.

Eurovision is definitely not a good place for Alizée
Totally agreed. So yah I think it's safe to say that Alizee won't do Eurovision '11 and that not a lot of people want her to.

Eurovision is a joke
Old 07-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Psychédélices Era Fan

Zeerre is on a distinguished road

I'm not familiar with Eurovision, so I'm wondering, why does it get such bad rep?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Alizée Always And Forever

RobandSandy is on a distinguished road

The last person I was showing Alizée is a fairly good friend of mine. And when I was describing her to him, and this just happened last night, he was the one who brought up how ABBA hit through Eurovision and how that would be perfect for Alizée. I think you guys are really on to something here.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:59 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss_pl View Post
No.

How's that popularity going right now?

Beside I believe the group to score highest ever in Eurovision had been established for 10 years prior to participating.

Regards,

Jung

Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeerre View Post
I'm not familiar with Eurovision, so I'm wondering, why does it get such bad rep?
It used to be a fair competition but not any more.
All that happens now is that the Countries that are 'friends' or that are geographically close vote for each other regardless of the quality of the song. Makes it a farce.
It's not always that way but the practice of voting for your neighbour has become widespread in Eurovision.
ABBA would probably not have won if the competition then was the way it is now?
They could only have depended on votes from the likes of Norway, Finland, Iceland etc.

Last edited by Junkmale; 07-23-2010 at 09:11 PM..
Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 PM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
It used to be a fair competition but not any more.
All that happens now is that the Countries that are 'friends' or that are geographically close vote for each other regardless of the quality of the song. Makes it a farce.
It's not always that way but the practice of voting for your neighbour has become widespread in Eurovision.
ABBA would probably not have won if the competition then was the way it is now?
They could only have depended on votes from the likes of Norway, Finland, Iceland etc.
That's not true. They conducted an investigation about that, especially with Cyprus and Greece. These two countries almost always give each other twelve points (max). They found out that the real reason why this happens is due to cultural similarities between the two countries. Most songs that are popular in Cyprus are also popular in Greece, and vice-versa.
Another thing to consider is next to English songs, the most popular songs that won the award in the past were French. I believe Alizee didn't participate in the past because she had more to lose. It would have been an embarrassment if she lose at the height of her popularity. But now, that is no longer the case. Just like what I said, it's like being give a free commercial slot during a Superbowl to promote or sell your product. I say that's much, much better than performing at small clubs or malls, or even introducing her music to other people one person at a time.

Edit:

You can also add Celine Dion as among the most popular singers who won in Eurovision.

Last edited by Jake04; 07-23-2010 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 07-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

Well let's just say Eurovision has gone downhill haha. Although it is fun to see the crazy outfits people come on stage with. I don't get why people buy tickets to see it....
Old 07-24-2010, 05:11 AM

clique is on a distinguished road

People who believe this to be a good idea isn't from Europe, I presume? The Eurovision Song Contest is one big joke, and has been for many years. It is not the same as when, for example, ABBA had their big breakthrough.

Most of the artists competing aren't well known (at least not outside their home countries), and the competition is more of a launch platform for new and upcoming artists than anything else. Most of the winners don't last very long either; they release a single and perhaps a full length album and then fade away into obscurity most of the time.

If Alizée wants to establish herself as a serious artist -- which her newest album seems to indicate -- then Eurovision is not for her. It's more like career suicide than anything else, in my opinion.