Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 04-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I believe you can tell a little about one's personality through the way they type and how they react to your words.

I also believe way too many people take the internet way too serious.
I think it really depends on the situation.

Usually, I'm me. But sometimes, I'll be more sarcastic. Whether it be for my beliefs, or sometimes even against my own beliefs.

I find the internet to be an interesting place where you can see any side of any argument depending on how you present yourself, accurate or not.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:21 PM

Brent is on a distinguished road

yeah, true. but as long as you are talking about your beliefs then there is something we have learned. i don't believe how you type determines your personality down to a science or anything.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:37 AM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

I agree with Brent that some take the postings and the internet way too serious. For one thing it is one dementional limiting understanding to the written word only. Also I have known brilliant people that are basically illiterate. I am not impressed by pseudo intellectuals many of which are prime examples of the Peter principle,(educated far beyond their intelligence). In other words formal education is not a good measurement of intelligence. I also know stupid people that can communicate quite eloquently verbally or in the written word. I am a prime example.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:03 AM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

I've read this phrase a couple of times on this forum already ;-) The phrase too serious is normally applied when people are to uptight and not relaxed enough to enjoy themselves in real life. It can be applied to the internet as well, but It's not meant to be used as an excuse to be a moron or an asshole and justify it by saying everyone else is too serious...

Of course you can chose to represent yourself as a total idiot if you want, and who's to know you're serious or not, that said you will be regarded as a total idiot if you portray yourself as one in real life or on the internet. So if you're ever offended by someone who's taking you too serious for acting as an uneducated baboon even though you're not, just don't take them too serious ok

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Old 04-17-2010, 01:21 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a believer in what one says and not how they say it. Some people actually swear a lot, BIG DEAL, if you have a problem with it you're just gonna have to deal with it. Some people don't use punctuation or proper grammar, once again big deal, live with it.

After all no matter how elegantly you say complete bullshit, it's still complete bullshit. Same goes for no matter how lowly you say something that is completely true, it's still gonna be true.

Regards,

Jung

Old 04-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Brent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I've read this phrase a couple of times on this forum already ;-) The phrase too serious is normally applied when people are to uptight and not relaxed enough to enjoy themselves in real life. It can be applied to the internet as well, but It's not meant to be used as an excuse to be a moron or an asshole and justify it by saying everyone else is too serious...

Of course you can chose to represent yourself as a total idiot if you want, and who's to know you're serious or not, that said you will be regarded as a total idiot if you portray yourself as one in real life or on the internet. So if you're ever offended by someone who's taking you too serious for acting as an uneducated baboon even though you're not, just don't take them too serious ok
yeah i guess thats supposed to be a metaphor for you saying 'i dont like anyone who doesnt act like me'. like you said you find many people on here. though we all dont behave the same its fair to point out noones going to outright disrespect anyone unless warranted.

my issue with this is i feel like the older members who dont actually generate much of the activity is kind of trying to bump the mainstream members out. the reason i say this is because i keep hearing of it over and over.

look, there are loud people who say what they feel, and they dont really care if they are misrepresented by a comment but it is in fact their opinion. i dont see the problem with it, because the people who are like this usually dont spend so much time wondering about who they are going to offend, and usually dont offend anyone. ive yet to see it. i cant say it was the same at AF now. that community had no sense of maturity. i just feel as if the minority is making a little noise and its angering the majority.

noone fights here, nothing wrong is going on. it just comes down to the fact that some of the members complaining are forcing themselves to pay more attention to certain comments or fun play than they should.

Last edited by Brent; 04-17-2010 at 09:05 PM..
Old 04-18-2010, 12:32 AM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

@ Jung I am dealing with it, or haven't you noticed, you're slow he he

@ Brent sorry if I offended you with my comments, but to say it's ok for anyone to post whatever and expect no one to be offended and at the same time express how offended you are with my comments on this or any other similar subject is kind of dumb, don't you think
Quote:
look, there are loud people who say what they feel, and they dont really care if they are misrepresented by a comment but it is in fact their opinion. i dont see the problem with it, because the people who are like this usually dont spend so much time wondering about who they are going to offend, and usually dont offend anyone. ive yet to see it.
Well if you don't see a problem with it why are you complaining ?? This is my opinion or should I not express my opinion on this subject. Who's to say what we can and can't post opinions on ?? Shouldn't everyone be allowed to voice their own opinion on any subject ??

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Last edited by Jess; 04-18-2010 at 12:41 AM..
Old 04-18-2010, 02:45 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Smile Lessons in grammar and respect.

Excellently handled, Jesster! Good points!

Brent, I'd like for us to get along, you and I... I really would. Someday, I'd hope we'll be "friends". But let me tell you something, son, you've really got a lot to learn. It's especially obvious every time you insist you don't need to learn anything from anyone.

Since this is a thread about vocabulary and education, I'd have to say you stepped right into this. But first I'd like to answer the points you're trying to make. Then you'll get the grammar lesson.

Quote:
yeah i guess thats supposed to be a metaphor for you saying 'i dont like anyone who doesnt act like me'. like you said you find many people on here. though we all dont behave the same its fair to point out noones going to outright disrespect anyone unless warranted.
Brent, the massive majority of us here have been very respectful to one another for at least as long as I've been around. And most of us do seem to like it that way.

Quote:
my issue with this is i feel like the older members who dont actually generate much of the activity is kind of trying to bump the mainstream members out. the reason i say this is because i keep hearing of it over and over.
Do you mean "older" in terms of AAm seniority, or in terms of age? If you mean "people who have been AAm members for at least two years" then I'd disagree - those seniors (at least the ones that are still fairly active here) are the steadiest and wisest of all of us. (like the moderators, for example, or Barrett or Jung.) They do generate activity, but they're not trying to "bump" anybody out.

If you meant "older" in terms of age, then you're talking about Scruffy, Doc, Edcog, MYGOGT, myself, and maybe two or three others. Are we "oldsters" out to get you? You say you "keep hearing of it over and over" - exactly what are you hearing there?

Quote:
look, there are loud people who say what they feel, and they dont really care if they are misrepresented by a comment but it is in fact their opinion. i dont see the problem with it, because the people who are like this usually dont spend so much time wondering about who they are going to offend, and usually dont offend anyone. ive yet to see it. i cant say it was the same at AF now. that community had no sense of maturity. i just feel as if the minority is making a little noise and its angering the majority.
Once again, I wish you could be a bit more clear as to who you are talking about. Who are the "loud people" to whom you refer? When you say they "usually dont (sic) offend anyone" you mean these people often do offend others, but most of the time they don't, so it's o.k.? When you say you've "yet to see it", does it dawn on you that you've only been a member here for a couple of months? And when you say the AF community "had no sense of maturity" are you trying to tell us you're better than your own admitted roots?

Quote:
noone fights here, nothing wrong is going on. it just comes down to the fact that some of the members complaining are forcing themselves to pay more attention to certain comments or fun play than they should.
Brent, we're not "forcing" ourselves - most of the time I'd just as soon ignore posts that sound like yours. But Jess started this thread, it's his baby. He's got to take it personally it you start stomping all over it. And me, I'd pm'd you in the past telling you to be more respectful of another member here. You replied to me with "why should I? I can say whatever I want!" So today I'm not "forcing myself" to answer you, I'm taking the time to try to tell you why mutual respect is an important thing. You want to be respected, don't you? Well, the best way to get respect is to give it.

And respect for one's own language is important, too. Lest one should appear uneducated. GRAMMAR LESSON TIME...
Quote:
yeah i guess thats supposed to be a metaphor for you saying 'i dont like anyone who doesnt act like me'.
No, that's not a metaphor at all. (Besides, that was not what Jess was saying.) A metaphor would be if I were to say "Wow, Brent, you've really walked into a minefield here, since this is a thread about vocabulary and usage!"

Look, little dude, nobody's trying to get rid of anybody here. But a lot of us here are hoping to see improvement in the overall standards of this site. If you can be more respectful of others, I'm sure we'll get along fine. If, however, that makes you uncomfortable, maybe this isn't the forum for you. A'right?
Old 04-18-2010, 02:50 AM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Just to be fair, Brent's been longer on an Alizée forum than I have.
I'm still just a noob.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:30 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Default Nubie Contest!

Barretty, I feel that you're hinting that I'm pretty new here, too. Well it's true- I'm way more nubile than you!

But the person Brent was dissing (a week-an-a-half ago) has been a dedicated AAm member for over three years, and I just didn't like seeing that. That was when I first tried speaking to Brent. Thus the above passage ("I'd pm'd you in the past telling you to be more respectful of another member here. You replied to me with "why should I? I can say whatever I want!")

Even Brent now complains that AF lacked "maturity". Well, then, he must be ready today to be "mature" here.

Last edited by Chuck; 04-18-2010 at 03:36 AM..