Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Media Section

Old 05-20-2010, 01:10 PM

babyblue558 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Människöpesten View Post
idk, for someone that's a fan of UEDS and a HUGE fan of psych, i liked that version. it's different, but it doesn't exactly make me sad. it shocked me, that's for sure
I think it was more to do with the timing of me seeing it on Youtube, and that I'd recently fallen in love with the original, only to find that she didn't perform it like that at all any more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who denies the existence of Psych and UEDS- I love them both! I just kinda wish she hadn't changed JEAM... but I guess it was inevitable seeing as she'd gone through a huge change of style by that time.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Människöpesten View Post
idk, for someone that's a fan of UEDS and a HUGE fan of psych, i liked that version. it's different, but it doesn't exactly make me sad. it shocked me, that's for sure
I agree with Manni. While it is definitely different, I like this version, very funky
Old 05-21-2010, 12:24 AM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire View Post
well, dude, thats the power of music: different people interpret it differently... some may recall an old love, another a happy time, while to some its just a tune. However that whole Acoustic performance seemed so subdued in a way that so un-Alizee.. especially the time previously that we had seen her.. jumping around in En Concert, double-jointed waves and all!

One person saw the A contre Courant song in En Concert as sad and they made me think the same way of the song after I re-interpreted it myself that way: I saw it where she was saying goodbye to her fans for the next four years, unbeknownst to her or her fans. She was down in the audience pit holding hand hands and so forth.. in hindsight now one can reinterpret. I think the same is going on for you. Now I take your interpretation and build on it with the fact that the music industry is struggling, Alize knows it and even has said that it concerns her.. and I see how thats even affected her business and profession. And how those MCE era videos were from a happier time before the recession and the recent pitfalls of the music industry...

I also interpret it as how there's "no going back".. kinda like a loss of innocence... Alizee is now a mom, married, changed forever, in so much of her words.. its kinda how I felt about Parler Tout Bas: I interpret it as Alizee saying goodbye to the Gourmandises days of her youth and becoming a young lady from a girl. Keep in mind I discovered all of Alizee's music this past summer.. so its all hindsight... even Psychadelicies.

We are so used to stars maintaining a continuity.. even the chameleon Madonna.. yeah her music styles change but its still madonna... that artist like Alizée seem like such an oddity... and by some a "failure" because there isn't this overly marketed and commercialized artist or overexposure. I let Psychadelicies grow on me partly because I've come to respect the artist and her conviction. I'll get her next album pretty much sight unseen... well as possible as that is with the availability in the states, because I'm willing to let this artist take me on this journey that she's on. Granted, I do miss the MCE and GM era, but much of that is due to Laurant and Mylene as architects, as much as it has to do with Alizée's raw talent and dedication. But thats the past now.. As much as I'd like to relive that, I'd hate to see Alizée go back to that just to sell some records. So maybe that helps your feelings Wasabi...

Just a point of how the music industry is hurting, check out this youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/alizeemp3?blend=1&ob=4#p/u
look at the psychedelices playlist.. Omitting the songs that her her singles (MJ/50-60), people listen to the remainder cuts of the album almost 48,000 times on average. MJ/50-60 are almost at 100K views. The MJ video on this user's page is close to 350K views. Dunno how the youtube counter works, if it can distinguish multiple views from unique. Thae channel has over half a million views BTW.

My point is that to my knowledge, other than exposure, there is really no profit to the publisher or artist for this conduit, where previously it was radio or purchased album, i.e. means for them to profit. And this is from an unadvertised, unofficial online source. Its come to the point that there's a sense of entitlement to free music now.. from shitheads who think that because its out there, like an unlocked door or a wallet left unattended, that its now theirs. And yes, its the same thing: theft. In fact I know people who take pride in all of the ripped off intellectual property they have. Thats sad.

I just bought two Moby CD's sight unseen.. from a record store.. remember those? I support that artist because he too has taken me on journey's with his music that if I went by first listen only, I wouldn't have liked. I think thats whats been lost in the music industry where tastes are acquired and not strictly marketed to in pursuit of profit. I'd hate to think that I've cheated Moby out of his earned pay by stealing his music.. even if its just passive as listening to it via a user upload on youtube. I think there is a part of that in what you might be feeling as "goodbye" to an era of music sales that made it ownership tangible, i.e. a purchase, rather than what we have today, which is a glib, almost indifferent listening to streams on illegal conduits like Youtube.
A very insightful post wildfire. I agree with everything you stated. I can't improve on this, but I want to point out that even if Alizee wanted to copy the original classics it would be next to impossible. From DJ pop with Psych to electronica Ueds just doesn't jive with the LB sound, instrumentation or arrangements. I know of very few remakes of classics by another artist that matched and even fewer that were better than the original. I know of no remakes by the original artist that matched or improved the original version. The early commercial success of Alizee and the Lolita image is a bit of a curse for her due to the difficulty of losing that image and developing a style that pleases Alizee. I don't think she has found her niche style yet as evidenced and chronicled extensively by fans here and elsewhere, hence the last two albums. I have no illusions that Alizee will ever go back and I also enjoy Alizee's odyssey and will continue to support her no matter what genre or style of music she shares with us. I will be pleased as long as she can remain relevant enough to continue to make music. It is a struggle I believe for her to reinvent herself and has shown tenacity, courage and artistic integrity with grace against difficult odds. This rare gem we know as Alizee must continue to shine.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:38 AM
i'm...PSYCHODELICIOUS.

Människöpesten is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue558 View Post
I think it was more to do with the timing of me seeing it on Youtube, and that I'd recently fallen in love with the original, only to find that she didn't perform it like that at all any more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who denies the existence of Psych and UEDS- I love them both! I just kinda wish she hadn't changed JEAM... but I guess it was inevitable seeing as she'd gone through a huge change of style by that time.
ah see this i understand, i'd agree if the timing was the same.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall06 View Post
I agree with Manni. While it is definitely different, I like this version, very funky
I agree, it's a good version. And if I heard it before I heard the original then I would probably love it as much as I love the original now. I feel similar towards the Moi... Lolita performance at M6 Live in 2008; it's good, but its so damn different from the original I can't like it.
Aha Alizée has straange powers
Old 05-22-2010, 01:46 PM
i'm...PSYCHODELICIOUS.

Quote:
I agree, it's a good version. And if I heard it before I heard the original then I would probably love it as much as I love the original now. I feel similar towards the Moi... Lolita performance at M6 Live in 2008; it's good, but its so damn different from the original I can't like it.
Aha Alizée has straange powers
perhaps you'll grow to like it. that's what happened to me
Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 PM

Although I must say as regards to the 2008 Moi... Lolita, she sings the bits in between choruses in the sexiest voice ever even for her!
Old 05-22-2010, 05:56 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire View Post
By coincidence, I just looked up the review of Moby's latest album that I got, "wait for me". I found in the product description an excellent reinforcement of my original post, and perhaps a parallel to Alizée's mindset. Granted I believe one is Moby's epiphany and the other is a Coriscan independence streak, but the end result is the same:
Just to comment on Moby... Sure, we'd all like to think that music can be made that way and that we all just happen to like exactly what the artists involved like, but I think the reality is that creating a pop sensation and pleasing the crowds must be done the way it must be done. Moby is a prolific and established musician. Maybe he can only say that stuff because he's now in a point in his career where he can get away with it. I.e., yeah, it's fine for you to say that now...

For concerts music is usually enhanced to stretch it out and bring a higher energy for the occasion. They did a good job of that for Alizée's concerts in Mexico, as well did she bring a lot of energy and actually a certain affectation to it that you've never seen before. Alizée gives the impression that when she really needs to "turn it on" she can do so.
Quote:
... Like most people, I discovered Alizée by watching a Gourmandises/MCE era youtube clip, and for a while I went along assuming that she was still the same present-day as she was back in those days....
Yeah, I think when you are a new fan, if you quickly get hooked on some early videos and that image, even when you find out it was a long time ago and intellectually know she's not really going to be the same, it's hard to really feel that until you see the newer stuff. When I came around the last time she had performed JEAM had been almost three years earlier. When I figured that out and that she was not current, married with a child, and no longer with M&L I knew things would be different, but we didn't know in what way. I will agree though, her Gourmandises through MCE era persona is so distinctive that it's a bit of a shock to see her otherwise. A lot of people felt that even after seeing her in those performances from 2004 where she has the different hair (coupe de fée - the fairy cut) and is looking distinctively different. Still, over time I have come to have a feeling for all of her looks and find her Alizée beautiful in them all, though some times she has been just knock out stunning.

Merci Fanny
Old 05-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Still, over time I have come to have a feeling for all of her looks and find her Alizée beautiful in them all, though some times she has been just knock out stunning.
Exactly, whatever Alizée does, she will always be beautiful and amazing, and we will love her, it's just that some things will take a little bit of getting used to. My Alizée will forever be the MCE Alizée, and came as quite a shock to discover quite how much she'd changed in the time between the JPVA video being filmed and my discovering it by chance in 2008. Two years later, I have listened to and loved all 4 of her albums and can enjoy the change in style that initially had shocked me back in my early fan days.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:59 PM
i'm...PSYCHODELICIOUS.

Quote:
Exactly, whatever Alizée does, she will always be beautiful and amazing, and we will love her, it's just that some things will take a little bit of getting used to. My Alizée will forever be the MCE Alizée, and came as quite a shock to discover quite how much she'd changed in the time between the JPVA video being filmed and my discovering it by chance in 2008. Two years later, I have listened to and loved all 4 of her albums and can enjoy the change in style that initially had shocked me back in my early fan days.
i gotta say just because she's doing what she wants, UEDS and pysch are my favorite albums