Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 02-08-2022, 06:54 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Fun fact -

Greece, despite being the country where the first Olympics were held, never won any Winter Olympics medals.

Unfortunately, nothing should change this year, and they will go home empty-handed again. But at least they keep trying!

So as of right now, Russia is leading the medal count, which is no great surprise. The Netherlands were leading yesterday, which was a nice surprise, but they have dropped off the top five.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:45 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

AlizéeSuperFanFIN is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

However, all the exotic countries participating in the Winter Olympics are a nice addition! (Okay, Greece isn't that exotic, but...)

Today was e.g. an interesting cross-country skiing sprint competition in the program! By the way, the bronze was won by the American Jessie Diggins and the Finnish Joni Mäki was not far from the bronze either [was a super surprise]! Finns are still better in classic skiing style, although e.g. in biathlon and Nordic combined competitions, only free style is used anymore!

Edit: Two notable and historical highlights include:

Matthias Mayer [AUT] in alpine skiing and Natalie Geisenberger [GER] in luge won their third personal championship!

Sledding is an interesting thing, it is popular in Central Europe, Russia, Latvia and North America, there are even Jamaicans involved, etc., but then many other traditional winter sports countries are completely out of the races!

It’s really great that the medal table for these games is really steady!

Ps. In America, I guess it is customary to look first at the total number of medals in medal stats?

Alizée 💜

Last edited by AlizéeSuperFanFIN; 02-08-2022 at 04:54 PM..
Old 02-09-2022, 08:27 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeSuperFanFIN View Post
Ps. In America, I guess it is customary to look first at the total number of medals in medal stats?
I think to some extent that might still hold true, but for the last few decades the world has gotten much smaller due to the Internet and frequent international travel, so not so much anymore.

For Americans old enough to have watched the Olympics pre-1990 during the Cold War years, the US had an arch rival, which was the Soviet Union. The US was mostly dominating the medal count, but the Soviet Union was right there breathing down our necks. So in this regard, there was a lot of medal count watching going on.

There were some epic match-ups during those years, including the US vs Soviet Union hockey match in 1980, nicknamed the Miracle on Ice because the US won, being big underdogs. They even made a movie about it!

Even though there was a lot of mystery with the Soviet Union and the other Iron Curtain countries, there was some fascination as well. For example, America fell in love with a little Romanian gymnast named Nadia Comaneci who scored the first perfect 10 in the Olympics. That was back in 1974 I believe. Then there were the Cuban boxers in the 1976 summer games. Cuba was supposed to be our "enemy" and the US was supposedly the best boxing country, but they put together a fantastic boxing team that won many boxing medals. I still remember those epic US vs Cuba matches very well.

So there was a keen sense of patriotism that went along with the Olympics back then. There still is, but not as fervent anymore. Sure, I would like to see the US team do well and win the medal count, but it doesn't bother me in the least bit if they don't. I just want to see the best athletes win, wherever they are from.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:54 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
I think to some extent that might still hold true, but for the last few decades the world has gotten much smaller due to the Internet and frequent international travel, so not so much anymore.

For Americans old enough to have watched the Olympics pre-1990 during the Cold War years, the US had an arch rival, which was the Soviet Union. The US was mostly dominating the medal count, but the Soviet Union was right there breathing down our necks. So in this regard, there was a lot of medal count watching going on.

There were some epic match-ups during those years, including the US vs Soviet Union hockey match in 1980, nicknamed the Miracle on Ice because the US won, being big underdogs. They even made a movie about it!

Even though there was a lot of mystery with the Soviet Union and the other Iron Curtain countries, there was some fascination as well. For example, America fell in love with a little Romanian gymnast named Nadia Comaneci who scored the first perfect 10 in the Olympics. That was back in 1974 I believe. Then there were the Cuban boxers in the 1976 summer games. Cuba was supposed to be our "enemy" and the US was supposedly the best boxing country, but they put together a fantastic boxing team that won many boxing medals. I still remember those epic US vs Cuba matches very well.

So there was a keen sense of patriotism that went along with the Olympics back then. There still is, but not as fervent anymore. Sure, I would like to see the US team do well and win the medal count, but it doesn't bother me in the least bit if they don't. I just want to see the best athletes win, wherever they are from.
Well said!

I remember the previous Beijing Games, ie the Summer Games 2008 [Beijing has now hosted both games historically], when China won most gold, but the US had the most medals.

It became, of course, a "controversy", at least in the media, about who was number one now!

In fact, I’m always excited about medal stats, except that my own favorites quite rarely win overall stats...

Men's ice hockey tournament has now started in the games, and when the NHL is not involved, Finland is a big favorite thanks to Jukka Jalonen's coaching skills... Well, Russia is (always) a favorite... It will be exciting!

Alizée 💜
Old 02-10-2022, 04:34 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Thumbs up

Well... Now Finland also started to succeed when Finnish women won silver and bronze in 10km classic style cross-country skiing! Led by iivo's sister Kerttu!!

These medals were also pretty big surprises compared to the general level...

The most annoying thing was that the winner was norwegian, just 0.4 seconds apart and previously convicted of doping!

Well, on the other hand, the Finn won the bronze in just 0.1 second difference to the Russian! One would not believe that such small time differences are possible after 10 kilometers of skiing!

In luge, Germany won all four gold! Today’s last race, the team race, was so tight that Austria almost beat Germany -- a little annoying it didn’t happen!

Excessive control of one country in one sport is no longer nice... Well, Holland does the same in speed skating, but luckily the shorter skating distances are smoother and they are still coming!

And... Gold for Finland tomorrow! 🇫🇮 or what does Bolshunov say?

Alizée 💜
Old 02-11-2022, 04:54 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Talking

Well, that's where the gold medal came from! But it was partly a surprise that Iivo Niskanen was historically superior, incomprehensible!

Well, because skiing styles vary from race to race, Iivo had been waiting for this trip for 8 years, so he also had time to prepare!

In general, it is strange and of course great that Finns are now more successful in skiing than in recent years...

Is it due to China's very difficult circumstances and successful preparations?

Alizée 💜
Old 02-12-2022, 03:06 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Medal distribution seems fairly even so far with maybe the exception of Norway which I guess should be expected. I wonder if the Jamaican bob sled team made it this year?
Old 02-12-2022, 04:59 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I wonder if the Jamaican bob sled team made it this year?
They actually have a “full gang” i.e. four-man, two-man and a monobob team involved in the races!

Personally, I do not support the athletes of that neighboring country, because its success is questionable, but no more about it here...

So more success for Germany and other countries! :

In addition, the games have now seen one judging mistake that actually took the gold from the host country...

https://whitelines.com/snowboard-cul...le-finals.html

This means that Canada has only one gold [rare thing], and thus that gold is also questionable...

Alizée 💜

Last edited by AlizéeSuperFanFIN; 02-12-2022 at 05:15 PM..
Old 02-13-2022, 02:14 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Cool

Russia won the men's cross-country skiing relay with a superior show, I had specifically wished Russia a victory... That norway would not win!

Huh, Sweden led Finland 3-1 in the men's hockey shortly before the end of the match, but Finland finally won 4-3, Jukka Jalonen is a sports wizard [at first I didn't even like him because his style of play can be boring at times, but it's really winning! ]

The 500 metres speed skating victory came to the US, it could be called a "return" because USA has been in a couple of previous games almost without medals!

The case of Kamila Valieva, I hope for an exemption from CAS, there's something strange about who would use a substance that doesn't even improve performance - and if you need one, get a special permit for use from WADA!

Alizée 💜
Old 02-15-2022, 04:59 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Talking

Well, bench sports is a pretty hard job!

Especially when many events went completely wrong than I would have liked!

One has to wonder again about the Germany superiority in sledding, now also in bobsleigh, the first triple victory of the games in the two-man!

I wish Lochner had won, but of course Friedrich took it...

And...

Tomorrow the Finns will have big medal seams in both cross-country skiing team sprint competitions - But let's see!?

Alizée 💜

Tags
2022, beijing, ioc, olympics