Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-08-2008, 07:32 PM
no use for a title

nurvonic is on a distinguished road

im still sticking with my 20 dollar gift certificate from Target idea
Old 01-08-2008, 08:29 PM

tbailey is on a distinguished road

Alizee just has to find a certain niche in the U.S. market and then she can flourish. Alizee is a great role model, has great talent, and can produce some great music. In the U.S. all such elements work towards producing a great performer that can sell millions of albums. She just needs to be given the opportunity to excel in the U.S. that's all.

Last edited by tbailey; 01-14-2008 at 02:11 PM..
Old 01-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post
well we have to remember that female artists with a lot less going for them became extremely successful in this country. Madonna, as far i know, basically left her home and went to NYC by herself and started her career. Jessica Simpson and her family started her career by literally travelling from small town to small town in a bus.

Alizee has something extraordinary: talent, looks, money, connections and already her own great music. People with a lot less means were able to become great acts in this country. I think the only real big issue is whether she has the heart to do so.
Still the language barrier is significant. I'm not saying it should be, I'm just saying in reality it is. Spanish-speaking singers are less handicapped in the US because there is a significant Spanish-speaking community here. I think if you exclude Spanish-speakers from a list of successful non-English-speaking singers in the US, you would find that you would have a very short list indeed.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clique View Post
It might not be impossible, but it's not really everyday non-English artists make it big in the US (the fact that you listed 9 songs for the last 40 years is pretty telling). And if Moi Lolita didn't as much as made a dent in America, what makes us think that Psychedelices will?

Edit: BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of those songs/artists one hit wonders? There's a difference between having one chart topping song and actually establishing yourself as an artist.
First of all, I was only pointing out that it is possible to have a foreign language hit in the USA, not that it happens frequently. Big hits of any kind don't happen everyday.

Second of all, Moi Lolita was not promoted in the USA nor did Alizée ever appear in the USA as an artist for that purpose.

Lastly, not all of those artists were one hit wonders, but many were. Yes there is a difference between one chart topping song and actually establishing yourself as an artist. If you get established, great. If all you get is one big hit, then so be it. That's very common in general in the music business. You take whatever CD sales you can get.

My overall point in my previous post is there are possibilities for her in the USA. I never claimed it to be probable. Speaking of probabilities, how many Alizée's and Moi Lolitas have happened in France? That doesn't happen every day either. In the music business, the odds for success are seldom great, no matter who you are or what you've done before.

These discussions are all academic anyways since she does not seem to be interested.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:24 PM

clique is on a distinguished road

Moi Lolita was barely promoted in countries outside of France, but that still didn't stop it from being a big hit in many European countries. The promotion in other countries (like Spain, Russia, Italy) started after they realized that the people of those countries liked the song. I doubt it was even played on the radio in the US.

My point is that if such a big hit didn't receive any attention, it would be hard for any album of hers to be acknowledged by the mainstream audience, even with promotion.

I agree with you that there certainly are possibilities in the US for her (and for any musician for that matter). But I think the odds of her doing well over there are slim at best. And if she decided to try it out, she would need a major record label backing her up, promoting her as hell. I honestly don't see that happening, considering the really poor promotion she's been getting even in her home country. I'm not sure any record label would want to risk it.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
Still the language barrier is significant. I'm not saying it should be, I'm just saying in reality it is. Spanish-speaking singers are less handicapped in the US because there is a significant Spanish-speaking community here. I think if you exclude Spanish-speakers from a list of successful non-English-speaking singers in the US, you would find that you would have a very short list indeed.
I think you are right that the Spanish songs have an advantage in the US.

Between Rocket’s and my list there are 4 non-Spanish songs listed. (I can’t say how complete this list is to begin with.) Even so, it would have taken a significant part of the non-Spanish speaking population in the US to make these songs #1.

Today, the ever expanding Spanish speaking population in the US may help by being more likely to accept a French language song, just like they are doing in Mexico. Maybe a bit of Alizée's music will find it's way into the US from Mexico.

The other thing is how do we define success? We tend to think in all or nothing terms. There’s a lot of space in between those two extremes where one might feel relatively successful.

By the way, my great-aunt had the record “Sukiyaki” and she loved it. I inherited it from her but I can’t find it anywhere…
Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
The other thing is how do we define success? We tend to think in all or nothing terms. There’s a lot of space in between those two extremes where one might feel relatively successful.
Exactly, which is also the major problem with the "Why do you think Psychedelices became a watershed?" thread: By what standard of success are you supposed to measure? The standard that I use (and personnaly, one I think would suit most fans of Alizée) is Alizée's own happiness and satisfaction with her accomplishment. I really think it is reasonable for Alizée to define her own success. Of course, being a fan, I wish she were fully recognized for the greatness I feel she deserves in both wealth and accolades. But really, if she's happy, I'm happy. I just feel it's more important to know that there are American's that adore her as fans with the same furvor as any of her other fans and hope that that brings her happiness and satisfaction.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:20 PM

rcs is on a distinguished road
Arrow Lili Slipped Through Our Fingers

I agree with CFH about Alizee's happiness. We're fortunate the gal decided to show back up.

Not that I'm a big MTV fan, but why couldn't the US MTV start an "international artist hour?" Can you imagine when ML, Gourmandises, JEAM, etc were released what kind of curious followers she would have had?

Alizee: Wowww!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
Exactly, which is also the major problem with the "Why do you think Psychedelices became a watershed?" thread: By what standard of success are you supposed to measure? The standard that I use (and personnaly, one I think would suit most fans of Alizée) is Alizée's own happiness and satisfaction with her accomplishment. I really think it is reasonable for Alizée to define her own success. Of course, being a fan, I wish she were fully recognized for the greatness I feel she deserves in both wealth and accolades. But really, if she's happy, I'm happy. I just feel it's more important to know that there are American's that adore her as fans with the same furvor as any of her other fans and hope that that brings her happiness and satisfaction.
I couldn't agree with you more, well said.

It's too bad that artists have to worry about sales to keep their careers alive, knowing that if the gatekeepers aren't satisfied they can close the door on you; having to rely on an unpredictable and often unforgiving music buying public. I keep worrying that Alizée is worrying. I just hope going forward that she will have nothing to worry about.

Yeah, RCS. That's what I'm talking about...
Old 01-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Newbie! :)

Freakzaz is on a distinguished road

im from canada and personally (not just cuz im supporting my own country) i think that if she tried she would have been a greater hit in Canada rather than in the US. Although the US music industry and media are much greater (and i stress upon the word much) and also the larger population, she would have a greater edge if she tried arousing the markets in Canada. This is mainly because of one thing: the French language being Canada's second main language. Its not that im saying ppl in the US dont speak french but for example if she had a concert somewhere in the US compared to one in, oh lets say, Quebec? The audience understanding her better being french themselves would definately help overcome the culture barrier that would exist between the english and her french :P well this is just my opinion so dont kill me if it hurts anyones feelings!