Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-07-2020, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road
Default Underrated Songs

Alizée has done a number of songs that, because they are not her most well known, are not as appreciated as much as I believe they should be. L'E-mail A Des Ailes is an example.

Old 11-08-2020, 02:31 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

I think when discussing underrated songs we need to look at her latter 4 albums.

First ones that come to mind for myself are Lilly Town, Factory Girl, a cause de l'automne, and a lot of others really.

I find it a bit disappointing that the latter 4 albums don't get much discussion. Of course Gourmandises and MCE are her most popular albums and in that respect warrant the most attention, but the focus on that era still feels a bit too much.

Almost every song from the latter 4 albums could be considered 'underrated' in that respect at least compared to the attention the first 2 albums get. Other good ones off the top of my head include Eden Eden, La Candida, 10 ans, Happy End, these songs I feel don't get enough attention.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:40 AM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
Alizée has done a number of songs that, because they are not her most well known, are not as appreciated as much as I believe they should be. L'E-mail A Des Ailes is an example.
L'E-mail A Des Ailes is splendid, especially the En concert version.

One of my favourite song is Lilly town, but I don't know if it can be considered underrated, because Psychédélices itself isn't as famous as the first two albums...
I also like Mon maquis, but I guess it's that kind of song that just can't be mainstream.
So I'll pick this one:

Old 11-08-2020, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
L'E-mail A Des Ailes is splendid, especially the En concert version.

One of my favourite song is Lilly town, but I don't know if it can be considered underrated, because Psychédélices itself isn't as famous as the first two albums...
I also like Mon maquis, but I guess it's that kind of song that just can't be mainstream.
So I'll pick this one:

Agreed, Lilly town and Mon Planeur are my #1 favourites of their respective albums.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:40 AM

godpaks is on a distinguished road

I think I got addicted to the songs "Par Les Paupieres" and "Lily Town" recently. I listen to them all the time. These are the best songs with less popularity for me.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:18 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post

L'E-mail A Des Alles is a great song. It's one of her many songs I listen to all the time.

Alcaline is another great song imo that is underrated or maybe under achieving is a better word for it. I think this would have made for a great video. Of course it's about her apparently unhappy in the world she lives in, then puts her headphones on and gets lost in the music. In a video I could see her working in some dark, dingy office. She's got her hair tied up in a bun, thick glasses and a frumpy coat, then she puts her headphones on, turns up the music, the hair comes down, glasses off. The coat comes off to reveal a beautiful outfit underneath. She closes her eyes and get's carried a away to a world of paradise created by the music.

It's easy to picture how this could have been and how perfect she would have been for the role. A great opportunity lost.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
L'E-mail A Des Alles is a great song. It's one of her many songs I listen to all the time.

Alcaline is another great song imo that is underrated or maybe under achieving is a better word for it. I think this would have made for a great video. Of course it's about her apparently unhappy in the world she lives in, then puts her headphones on and gets lost in the music. In a video I could see her working in some dark, dingy office. She's got her hair tied up in a bun, thick glasses and a frumpy coat, then she puts her headphones on, turns up the music, the hair comes down, glasses off. The coat comes off to reveal a beautiful outfit underneath. She closes her eyes and get's carried a away to a world of paradise created by the music.

It's easy to picture how this could have been and how perfect she would have been for the role. A great opportunity lost.

There was a lot of untapped potential for music videos in just about all of her albums, though of course no major artist can make a video for every song. I think we were discussing in the past which songs we each wish had got a music video.

Kajue and I both mentioned Hey Amigo. Gourmadises had 4 standout singles with Music Videos (Moi Lolita, Parler tout bas, L'alize, gourmandise) but MCE only had 3 (JEAM, ACC, JPVA) and Hey Amigo could've been great as a 4th to continue that pattern, though to be fair MCE is packed with great songs so you could make a case for most of the others as well in that album.

Sometimes I wonder if the songs they chose to make Music Videos for in the later albums were the right ones.

Fifty Sixty is good enough, I would've preferred Lilly Town to have the Music Video but 5060 is still a decent choice.

Not sure Les Colines was best for UEDS personally, but the album as a whole isn't the sort of music that demands to be accompanied by a Music Video. Still though, there are some cool concepts to play around with there, LimeLight had a teaser and I'd be fascinated to know what a Factory Girl or Eden Eden music video could've looked like.

A cause de l'automne I think was likely the best choice for 5 so not much else to be said there.

And of course Blonde is just Blonde, but I agree an Alcaline Music Video probably would've been more interesting, other songs like K.O would be good candidates too.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:54 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
Fifty Sixty is good enough, I would've preferred Lilly Town to have the Music Video but 5060 is still a decent choice.
I'm going to go out on a limb here. I think a big miss was not making a video for Décollage. Here was a stunning Alizee at 23/24 years of age. She needed to connect to the 20-something audience, and hip-hop was on the rise in that demographic. It could have bridged the teen Alizee with the adult Alizee, drawing back the fans in her age group that might have moved on when she split with Mylene.

Fifty-Sixty was a fun song and the video was playful, so it would be a good candidate for the first song on the album. Décollage second, then Lilly Town third. Par les paupières is my favorite Alizee song of any album. It is a world class song and the first time I listened to it, it really stood out.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here. I think a big miss was not making a video for Décollage. Here was a stunning Alizee at 23/24 years of age. She needed to connect to the 20-something audience, and hip-hop was on the rise in that demographic. It could have bridged the teen Alizee with the adult Alizee, drawing back the fans in her age group that might have moved on when she split with Mylene.

Fifty-Sixty was a fun song and the video was playful, so it would be a good candidate for the first song on the album. Décollage second, then Lilly Town third. Par les paupières is my favorite Alizee song of any album. It is a world class song and the first time I listened to it, it really stood out.
That's interesting. It's clear how much a Music Video can turn one of Alizée's songs from good to really great, not to say Decollage would become as revered as her more famous songs if it had a music video, but it could no doubt at least provide a new way of perceiving the track.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:01 AM
MMA Teen who was thunderstruck by Alizée

Kajue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post

L'e-mail a des ailes has actually grown to become one of my favorite songs from her during the past couple months, it very soft and solemn feel to it.
I actually prefer her Concert version instead of the studio.

Lui ou Toi gives off similar but heavier vibes, and I think it's relatively underrated.