Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Alizée's FireFighter

Youpidou1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
The US is very large and has 300 million people. We really only have Mexico as a non-English speaking neighbor (except for some French speakers in Canada). We honestly don't need to be multilingual in our daily lives in most of the country, which is a shame, really. And as Ogre pointed out in another thread, the US puts out such a large volume of entertainment that we are less likely to import it.

If you read Alizée's interviews, including the more recent ones, you'll see she actually seems to like a lot about the US. She loves New York, she loves Disney and Tinkerbell, she loves US TV shows, she got married here, and she likes much of the music. She recently said the American market scares her and this may be the key factor as to why she won't come here as a performer. I think some of what she believes about the US market is mistaken, but it is her choice and I respect that. Breaking into the US market would be difficult, especially singing in French. I had hoped she would be the first in a very long time to do it, but that's just a silly dream of mine, I guess.

I just hope North America makes a respectable contribution to her CD sales, but that might also be hoping for too much.
Something that really stinks. Most of the population on this website couldn't wait for an American release so we all went and bought it on Amazon.com/fr and waited to get it from there. So unless we all will buy duplicates I don't think that CD sales will be up. I mean if she counted how many were SENT to America after buying I think that is a pretty high number.

Bah merge these 2 posts please.

All you need is 1 Truck.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 AM

kdc300z is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately , without Alizee or her managment attempting a North American tour, we will never know how well she would come off here. Marketing and promotion changes everything. If that wasn't true, half of the musicians here in the states wouldn't make it. It is true the language barrier, but how many of us on this forum were drawn to her anyways? Or how many have been learning the French language and discovered her, or now will try to learn the language because of Alizee!? Here in the States, a star has much to do with their appearance as it does anything else, and we all know that there isn't a singer here in the states that can compete with her beauty, which I know sounds shallow, but its true. If her songs and image were put into rotation here, I thnk she would be "successful". If we're not starting trends, we are defintely following them, especially in mainstream music.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Woof !

Just a Guest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc300z View Post
Unfortunately , without Alizee or her managment attempting a North American tour, we will never know how well she would come off here. Marketing and promotion changes everything. If that wasn't true, half of the musicians here in the states wouldn't make it.
She/they never did in Mexico, and still she's a big hit over there... Why?
Old 02-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Guest View Post

I'm not sure. There is a lot of competition here in the States I guess. How big of a hit though? There are many of us here in the states that love her too, I just do not know how many. Maybe its her "style" or "flavor" you know? The culture... "You gotta get the train running before anyone jumps on", at least over here it does.

Last edited by kdc300z; 02-17-2008 at 01:26 PM..
Old 02-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That’s a good question, and I don’t know that any of us have enough information or insight to answer it with any authority. I would note a few points to consider, though.

Mexico is probably both an importer and exporter of music, whereas the US is mostly an exporter.

Some Mexicans have posted in the past that when they first saw the Alizée “La Isla Bonita” video they thought she might be Spanish.

The French and Spanish languages have a common root which is different than English. Mexicans are probably more likely to be multilingual than Americans, and therefore more accepting of music in a different language, even if they don’t understand French that well.

Add this all up and I think it may be relatively easy for Mexicans to be attracted to and feel a connection and kinship to Alizée. Her popularity seems to be greater in countries that have common linguistic roots, which is no surprise. It wouldn’t be fair to say there is something wrong with the countries where she is less popular.

Though one must wonder why she isn’t big in all of Latin America. This whole popularity thing in Mexico could be somewhat of a fluke, albeit a wonderful fluke for Alizée. One must not underestimate the role that flukes play in success in the music business. I think any foothold Alizée establishes in the Americas is a good thing. The Mexicans may very well end up exporting Alizée into the US to some extent.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:10 PM

Thumbs up

That makes sense.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Woof !

Quote:
Some Mexicans have posted in the past that when they first saw the Alizée “La Isla Bonita” video they thought she might be Spanish.
Very well possible. Not really important, but I thought the big hype started with the JEAM appearance?
And it became quickly clear for them she wasn't Spanish after all.
Quote:
Mexico is probably both an importer and exporter of music, whereas the US is mostly an exporter.
Very true I guess, wich makes Mexicans more open to foreign music.
Quote:
The French and Spanish languages have a common root which is different than English. Mexicans are probably more likely to be multilingual than Americans, and therefore more accepting of music in a different language, even if they don’t understand French that well.
Also true. But speaking for myself; I don't give a sh#t about the language the music is sung in. If I like the sound, it's just fine by me. I can always find out in some way what the lyrics are about if I want to know...
I like Italian and Hungarian a lot for instance but I don't understand a lick of it
Quote:
Though one must wonder why she isn’t big in all of Latin America.
Yes, never thought about that... Good question.
Quote:
I think any foothold Alizée establishes in the Americas is a good thing. The Mexicans may very well end up exporting Alizée into the US to some extent.
I really hope so for you American fans. It must be somekind of frustrating, and I understand that. Keep fingers crossed, you never know what happens.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:54 PM

SpanishAlizee is on a distinguished road

Maybe in the states only success explosive female singers. Obviously blondes, blondes, blondes, and more blondes with obvious attributes. Not with the delicate beauty of Alizée. Maddona, Aguilera, etc.... for me, are light years away from Alizée beauty and awesome voice.
As we say in Spain "belleza femenina"
Old 02-17-2008, 03:03 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Also true. But speaking for myself; I don't give a sh#t about the language the music is sung in. If I like the sound, it's just fine by me. I can always find out in some way what the lyrics are about if I want to know...
I like Italian and Hungarian a lot for instance but I don't understand a lick of it
Off topic: what kind of Hungarian music do you like? Do you like Szandi? Bonanza Banzai?
Old 02-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Woof !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquared View Post
Off topic: what kind of Hungarian music do you like? Do you like Szandi? Bonanza Banzai?
Szandi from the later period I like. The early years is a bit too girly bubblegum pop. (although some very catchy)
But t.b.h I don't really know much more Hungarian artists. I had a Hungarian workmate a year ago, and he always listened to Hungarian internet radio, so I heard a lot but never asked him about it.
I meant in my previous reply more the language in general, but I guess that I have to look up some more Hungarian pop. Any more suggestions du jour?

Last edited by Just a Guest; 02-17-2008 at 03:23 PM..