Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you preordering Une Enfant Du Siècle?
Yes 39 55.71%
No 20 28.57%
Undecided 11 15.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 PM
The Snowboarder

SimonH is on a distinguished road

Because Alizee puts a curse on people tht makes them buy her merchandise. Besides it will be worth something one day.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
At 18 you haven't lived long enough to understand economics of running a business let alone the scale of economics in the music business. (Don't take the previous statement as a put down it is not meant to be.) Your young and naive to what things really cost.

Believe me she isn't making the killing you think she is with this promotion.

How much did the author of the hard cover book get paid for writing it?
How much is the publisher charging per copy of this hard back book including set up costs?

How much did the promotion company charge to design the box and set up the printing of said box?

The promotional /record company that put this together for Alizée they have to get paid for the time they have into the project.

Then there is the poster and CD/vinyl record sleeves there was a set up cost and printing cost to them also. There was a photographer who took the pictures and has to be paid for his or her work.

Then there is the company that is handling the sales of this pre-order set.
They're also are getting a cut out of every sale.

Then everyone that had anything to do with writing, producing, contributing in any way with the music and lyrics is getting a cut of every sale also.

If Alizée ends up making 20€-25€ per box set she would be doing really well.
Lol I'm 18, not 8
I think you may have misunderstood me, Ronald said that "they" (Jive Epic France) might reconsider changing the polaroid deal, and I said that I didn't think they would reconsider because they're making a killing. They may not be making much themselves right now, but they get the biggest cut out of everyone and they get paid first.
Michael Jackson got 2/3ds of a penny for every unit sold back in his really early days, or so I read, somewhere. Labels, record companies suck.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 PM
The Snowboarder

SimonH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
At 18 you haven't lived long enough to understand economics of running a business let alone the scale of economics in the music business. (Don't take the previous statement as a put down it is not meant to be.) Your young and naive to what things really cost.

How much is the publisher charging per copy of this hard back book including set up costs?

How much did the promotion company charge to design the box and set up the printing of said box?

The promotional /record company that put this together for Alizée they have to get paid for the time they have into the project.

Then there is the poster and CD/vinyl record sleeves there was a set up cost and printing cost to them also. There was a photographer who took the pictures and has to be paid for his or her work.

Then everyone that had anything to do with writing, producing, contributing in any way with the music and lyrics is getting a cut of every sale also.

I thought about taking time to prove you wrong but then again it would be a waste of time for many reasons, not considering you think that due to my age I know little to nothing about the economy. Just know you're incorrect in saying she is only getting 20 EUROS.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

lol

I had actually originally thought about ordering two sets (kinda still am)

One to have, one to never open

This is the first Alizée album I've been... how should I say... present for?
I mean I hadn't known about Alizée until long after the release of Psych.

I'm here for the first time for the release, and I'm going crazier than a mad chimp in a cage full of poo.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterski95 View Post
I want to get this but I only have $20 in my wallet...besides, think about it, $140 (in America). Isn't that a LITTLE overpriced?
Well, if you just want the music, and considering you will be able to get a much cheaper alternative in a few months, it is pricey. Too bad shipping eats up so much. I don't think one can claim any practical justification for buying this edition. You simply must decide based on how strong your desire is to have it. Personally, I wanted it bad enough to spend the money, but there's a lot of things I wouldn't spend $140.00 on that others would.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Let's go to France :-)

alswamprat is on a distinguished road

As soon as I saw the notice from Sony I knew I had to have the deluxe package!
It's something to look forward to after a hard winter out here in the boonies....
Old 02-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Lili Loyal

paintballpdh19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
lol

This is the first Alizée album I've been... how should I say... present for?
I mean I hadn't known about Alizée until long after the release of Psych.

I'm here for the first time for the release, and I'm going crazier than a mad chimp in a cage full of poo.
lol... i'm in the same boat
Old 02-06-2010, 01:28 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall06 View Post
I don't think they would reconsider, they're making a killing, so to speak. At least for now, as somebody said before, sales are gonna start slowing down.
Quote:

Well said. I don't think the younger forum members understand how expensive it is to prepare such a complex custom package.

Although we may be paying $140, fully $50 is just going for shipping! That leaves $90. The development and production costs have both fixed and variable amounts. An example of a fixed cost is the cost to make the original that each vinyl is pressed from. A variable cost is the cost of each vinyl. Repeat this through every single item in the box - including the box.

Let's say she sells 2,000 copies (a reasonable number given the price), then they gross $180,000. After working through the development (fixed) costs, and the number of people (some highly paid) involved in developing all the components, Alizée could actually walk away with $0. I don't know how many she has to sell to break even, but 1,800 to 2,000 copies wouldn't surprise me. Once she has recouped her fixed costs, then and only then will she start to see any profits from the sales (minus the variable costs of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
If Alizée has a typical music industry royalty rate coming from her deal with the record company, her cut may be as low as 3 to 4€ per unit. And she may have to share some of that with the writers and performers of the music. It's really hard to say without knowing what her contract looks like, but she hasn't been selling in the millions so I wouldn't imagine she is able to demand too many special concessions from the record company.
In other words, she will likely not make a lot on these packages overall. However, if she does break even (and it looks like she probably will based on sales to date), then the sale of the last 100 units is where she will see the most profit. If you stop to think about how much time she has put into this, I for one would like to see her make a little money on this.

In my analysis above, I factored in that the record companies have a way of back-charging the artists for ALL expenses (fixed costs again), which is why we can think of her as paying the entire tab out-of-pocket. That is why this is the most direct way you can actually contribute DIRECTLY to Alizée (for those who can afford to of course).

Last edited by Rev; 02-06-2010 at 01:38 AM..
Old 02-06-2010, 04:17 AM

Ronald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Well, if you just want the music, and considering you will be able to get a much cheaper alternative in a few months, it is pricey. Too bad shipping eats up so much. I don't think one can claim any practical justification for buying this edition. You simply must decide based on how strong your desire is to have it. Personally, I wanted it bad enough to spend the money, but there's a lot of things I wouldn't spend $140.00 on that others would.

On the other hand: It costs 80 euro to fill my car with petrol, and before you know it, it's empty again
So what I'm trying to say is: drive less, buy this Alizee box IT WILL LAST LONGER

Just my excuse to justify this purchase
Old 02-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

oh hell...

Does this even include a standard CD?

I see "large format CD" and five records...

was this a big woopsy?

----

Do I think it was worth it?
Well, part of the price unofficially included the price of the entry to see whether or not you'd be the first 100.