Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Translations

Old 08-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
That's kind of circular. It's assuming the song really is about Mylene and Alizee, which may seem obvious to us but could be a case of interpretation bias. It's based on an assumption. Take that away and the whole meaning changes.

Besides, according to another rumor Alizee doesn't want to sing songs filled with double meanings anymore, so a cigar could just be a cigar and a song about Edie Sedgwick could just be a song about Edie Sedgwick. It wouldn't be the first. As Kozmo on MFI pointed out, "it joins the likes of Velvet Underground, Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, and The Cult with tribute songs about her."

Not that I think you're necessarily wrong, I dunno. It just seems strange to justify a conclusion reached by the interpretation of a song with that same interpretation.
That's very true. I was about to ask if we were assuming a little too much.

PS: I feel like I'm nitpicking, but I just want the lyrics to be as correct as possible. If the line "né en cinquante" is referring to Edie, then "né" should have one more "e" on the end.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Iron and Silk

atra201 is on a distinguished road

well guys wait for it to be releaseed then interpret it as you like
if you wait you will have more info

"Such a shame to believe in escape
A life on every face
And that's a change, till I'm finally left with an eight
Tell me to react, I just stare
Maybe I don't know if I should change
A feeling that we share...
It's a shame
(Such a shame)
Number me with rage, it's a shame
(Such a shame)
Number me in haste, it's a shame
This eagerness to change
It's a shame..."
Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Francophile!:D

Tye is on a distinguished road

If Mylene did neglect Lili then I am pretty pissed off. I don't know if it is true that she did this, but if she did then Mylene will not get any money or respect from me.

Can you imaging how Lili felt? Get to the top, and then your mentor leaves you hanging out to dry. I know how I would feel, and I don't like the idea of Lili going through that.

Do you think this is why Lili took such a long break? Because she was waiting to see if Mylene had anything new for her. When she didn't Lili packed up and left to do her own album with her husband and a new record company. This would have pushed the release back, and could explain why it was 2006 before we got a letter from her discussing the new album.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure I'd agree that this song is anti-Mylène. There's another interpretation. 16 years old was just too young to be propelled to stardom like that. She never got a chance to have a normal adolescence. Her meteoric career made her drop out of school and break up with at least one boyfriend. Whether Mylène dropped the ball on her or not, during that partnership Alizée was completely dependent on her, and not in control of her own career. (But then, at 16-18, who is?)

Edie Sedgwick died before she was 30. She was victimized by Warhol, by Bob Dylan, and by the whole star machine. But mostly by her own immaturity.

Alizée, by dropping out for four years to gain some basic life experience, has made sure she can now resume her career as an adult rather than a child. She won't suffer the fate of Sedgwick, or of Marilyn Monroe or Judy Garland or Janis Joplin. She was always strong, but now I sense that she's stronger than ever.

She dropped out in order to grow up, and perhaps in order to let her contract with Mylène, Laurent, and Polydor expire so that she could legally go in a new musical direction. And maybe because Mylène dropped her, but we don't know that, and even if it's true, it was still the right thing for her to do.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 08-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Good points Deepwaters. Don't get me wrong guys, I definitly see the parallels to Lili's life in the lyrics, I just wonder how much they're supposed to be what the song is all "about". I mean Edie is still the subject, it's a bit of a stretch to say "ah hah, this is exactly what must have happened to Alizée too" just because their stories resonate.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
Good points Deepwaters. Don't get me wrong guys, I definitly see the parallels to Lili's life in the lyrics, I just wonder how much they're supposed to be what the song is all "about". I mean Edie is still the subject, it's a bit of a stretch to say "ah hah, this is exactly what must have happened to Alizée too" just because their stories resonate.
I agree completely and mentioned this to Moe today in seperate conversation. I think parallels between Alizée and Edie are intentional but that doesn't mean we should read too much of Edie's life/experience into Alizée's. As Mylène knows, a certain amount of ambiguity is a key ingredient a lot of good art. By certain parallels being obvious while others being not-so-obvious or even false, the listener is made more curious, more involved, and more intrigued by what layers of meaning may lie containted within. In that way, it also generates a lot of interest and is therefor good marketing as well Anyway, that's my view on the matter.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:53 PM

kdn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
generates a lot of interest and is therefor good marketing as well
Yup, that gives people something to talk about. Things like "she's an adult now and she understands everything", which is mine.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Francophile!:D

Tye is on a distinguished road

I am glad some feel this song isn't Lili talking about her mistreatment by Mylene. It makes me feel better. I will wait until Lili comments on her current relationship with Mylene before I get pissed off at Mylene. I am glad Lili is out on her own now though. It is giving her the ability to develope into her on style.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Un-rêve

There's good points here from everyone but it's only speculation that Mylene Farmer screwed Alizée over like Andy Wahol did to Edie Sedgewick. I agree with Tye though and if it is true I hate the thought of it.

I don't know if anyone here remembers reading this some time ago on Le'Nid d'Alizée. Alizée had phoned in to a TV show to wish some new singer the best of luck and give them some advice. In her words she said " just don't put all your faith in to showbuissness ". Or was it music bussness? I forget, but those words have been haunting me ever since although I've tried to keep an open mind.

Nevertheless whatever has happened in the past is in the past and I'm sure Alizée has the strength and character to put the negativity behind her and concentrate on the positive aspects of her life and career. That's probably why she took so much time out anyway. :wink:

Alizée is grounded, she has a strong personality a good family and friends that love and take care of her. She's also a fighter she's a Leo like a lion.
If this song is anything to do with Mylene and it has double meanings then it's Alizée's way of hitting back. She's showing everyone {artistically mind you} that she's back with attitude so nobody better get in her way!

Last edited by Un-rêve; 08-25-2007 at 12:42 AM..
Old 08-25-2007, 01:18 AM

Matrix is on a distinguished road

Yea don't forget the Corsican philosophy of "Vendetta"....you don't wanna piss off Alizee. I guess Mylene crossed that line and this song is retribution