Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-26-2010, 04:55 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
You make her sound like a serf.

She didn't sing or do anything that both she and her mother didn't think was passable. Was she persuaded to do something - maybe. However, if so, she was persuaded - not coerced.
True, true. But again and again, Mylène was obliged to put her own style on the lyrics she was writing. Mylène's style primarily relied on the old adage "sex sells". So to sell more records, she'd constantly add more sexual references. In most cases, the references are somewhat veiled - enough that radio stations would play the songs - and perhaps veiled enough that a 15-, 16-, or 17-year-old Alizée wouldn't have even known what she was singing about. (And who knows, maybe her mom didn't catch on either.) Yes, as Rev says, she was persuaded, but there's a fine line between persuasion and coercion when there are contracts involved.

I've written in these pages before how I think Alizée is much better off now, without Mylène and Laurent, but I've come around to thinking that Laurent was actually a pretty excellent composer! His music sounds practically "old and stuffy" now, but for those first couple albums, he was the Marvin Hamlisch (or maybe even the Burt Bacharach) of France!

On the other hand, Mylène... She wrote the lyrics, and those are the parts of the songs that so often seem disappointing. {"I'm foamily ecstatic"? WTF is that??? }

So basically, I blame Mylène. "J'mets la flute enchantée" indeed. She was a lazy, sleazy hack. Too bad she's still alive. Alizée deserved better.

Last edited by Chuck; 07-26-2010 at 05:40 AM..
Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Psychédélices era fan.

Marquis<3Alizée is on a distinguished road

How could Mylene write that stuff for her, I'm wondering if Alizée really knew what she was singing about she had to. It would be pretty stupid if Mylene didn't tell her. Now since Alizée is all grown up I know for sure know she knows what Mylene had her sing, I bet that's why Alizée left Mylene I guess.

Merci beaucoup Alizée for everything!

http://www.youtube.com/user/limelight8494
Old 07-26-2010, 11:24 AM
A-Team

edgar93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
- and perhaps veiled enough that a 15-, 16-, or 17-year-old Alizée wouldn't have even known what she was singing about. (And who knows, maybe her mom didn't catch on either.) Yes, as Rev says, she was persuaded, but there's a fine line between persuasion and coercion when there are contracts involved.
I like to believe that Alizee was smart enough to catch on, or at least not that stupid to be "fooled" by MF/LB. She was old enough to understand all those terms. Now, was she happy with that? Touring all around the world is nice, so is having a song in the top of many charts, but did she really like to perform that Lolita character? I can't tell, despite everything She's said about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I've written in these pages before how I think Alizée is much better off now, without Mylène and Laurent, but I've come around to thinking that Laurent was actually a pretty excellent composer! His music sounds practically "old and stuffy" now, but for those first couple albums, he was the Marvin Hamlisch (or maybe even the Burt Bacharach) of France!

So basically, I blame Mylène.
Im my opinion, What they did with Moi...Lolita (and Alizee) was genius. Everything, starting with the selection proccess they had to go through in order to find their right Lolita, and the way they continued the lolita character with PTB (which is another genius production). Yes even the first videoclips are a masterpiece of art (except for L'alize IMO, after all it wasn't produced by Laurent Boutonnat). Mylene and Laurent created that Alizee that caught my eye, and which I'm a fan of. So I thank Mylene and Laurent for doing that.

Last edited by edgar93; 07-26-2010 at 11:28 AM..
Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Psychédélices era fan.

Marquis<3Alizée is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar93 View Post
I like to believe that Alizee was smart enough to catch on, or at least not that stupid to be "fooled" by MF/LB. She was old enough to understand all those terms. Now, was she happy with that? Touring all around the world is nice, so is having a song in the top of many charts, but did she really like to perform that Lolita character? I can't tell, despite everything She's said about it.

Im my opinion, What they did with Moi...Lolita (and Alizee) was genius. Everything, starting with the selection proccess they had to go through in order to find their right Lolita, and the way they continued the lolita character with PTB (which is another genius production). Yes even the first videoclips are a masterpiece of art (except for L'alize IMO, after all it wasn't produced by Laurent Boutonnat). Mylene and Laurent created that Alizee that caught my eye, and which I'm a fan of. So I thank Mylene and Laurent for doing that.
I thank Mylene and Laurent as well, because if it wasn't for them there would be no Alizée. To be honest Psychédélices is what set my eyes on Alizée even though I discovered her through J'en ai marre. I'm not saying Gour and MCE didn't catch my eye of course it did.

I just think Psychédélices is more for me and Une enfant du siècle because Alizée took the time to make her own music and do things her own way. I think that's pretty cool and brave at the sametime because she has to think of what people think about the music she made her own. That's somone to look up to in my eyes.

Merci beaucoup Alizée for everything!

http://www.youtube.com/user/limelight8494
Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Speaking of controversiality, there is something about that big red shoe that was on stage during En Concert. If you check the credits at the end of the concert, you'll see it was designed by Mylene Farmer. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

I can't say that I have any sort of ill will or blame towards Mylene.

I've already confessed that I wouldn't mind if Alizée hadn't left Mylene and Laurent. I'd love to see how they(the trio of them) would've made the mature lolita image to be. But moving beyond just the lolita stuff, I really enjoyed they music they made. My top Alizée songs are mostly from the Mylene and Luarent days.

Besides, you can't become successful by doing only what you want. Did Alizée enjoy the lolita image? Seems to me like she did. But we can see that she grew tired of it and moved on. I wish she would've stayed with it a bit, but seeing as how she's now in her mid-20s, lolita wouldn't be so fitting anymore.

Musically on her own now, she made two very very different albums. I personally prefer Psychedelices over UEDS. Lots of people say that UEDS is even more her than Psychedelices, though I don't really see any significance in that. If this 180 degree in difference in music style is simply due to it being "more" her.. then something's amiss.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 AM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Et quand je donne ma langue aux chats, je vois les autres
and when I give my tongue to the cats, I see the others
Tout prets a se jeter sur moi
All ready to jump on me.

Again this is supposed to be a girl that's sexually active,
When I give my tongue to the cats I think means that when she is having oral sex with other girls, probably other Lolitas, she sees these men coming around, ready to jump on her.

The rest of the song is relatively easy to interp.
I always thought that by "give my tongue to the cats" she meant keeping quiet about what she was doing ("cat's got your tongue."), maybe keeping it a secret from her parents or something.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
I always thought that by "give my tongue to the cats" she meant keeping quiet about what she was doing ("cat's got your tongue."), maybe keeping it a secret from her parents or something.
Yes, oh yes, oh yes, oh yes! That makes perfect sense! Good job, A-girl!

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Speaking of controversiality, there is something about that big red shoe that was on stage during En Concert. If you check the credits at the end of the concert, you'll see it was designed by Mylene Farmer. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
Please, Scruffy, can't you say a little more? What about the really big shoe?

Last edited by Chuck; 07-27-2010 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 07-27-2010, 01:32 AM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Yes, oh yes, oh yes, oh yes! That makes perfect sense! Good job, A-girl!

Edit:

Please, Scruffy, can't you say a little more? What about the really big shoe?
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not so I'll just type a cute smiley face:

I am also curious about the shoe thing! Please please please, Scruffy?

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 07-27-2010, 02:14 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Definitely NOT sarcasm. Just overenthusiasm! Hooray!

Tags
alizee, songs meaning