Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 08:25 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road
Default How do I introduce friends to Alizée?

Been thinking a lot about this so thought I'd talk about it here.

Simply based on chance it's unlikely anyone I know at school is familiar with Alizée, and if they are I'd like to know who if so, maybe that's a bit strange but it'd be a great thing to bond over.
Anyway, I've been considering different ways of sharing her music or letting people know about her, but it's very difficult trying to think of how to go about doing so. How can I get people genuinely interested without it coming off as unnecessarily forced, or me being overly obsessed (which might be true but they don't need to know that yet )

Messaging people about her may be the most direct way to do it, but then in that case it should come up naturally in conversation and I'm not exactly being flooded with DMs.
I could mention it in person but who knows if they'll care to remember, which is understandable as it's a very random thing to bring up.
If I indirectly made in known, maybe someone sees her as my wallpaper and asks "who's that?", I kinda have to awkwardly explain it in the middle of class
The last thing I need is for it to become something people tease me about. Even if it's just friendly banter which it likely would be (my school's pretty laid back and people generally get along well), people might not take it seriously if I asked they actually listen to her music, or watch a certain video etc.

I wanna see if there's anyone who actually has the same reaction to her stuff, who shows genuine interest, but maybe that's impossible no matter how I go about it. There's obviously a 'wow' factor about her that only some people will find, we've all been lucky enough here to pick up on it, but not everyone will, it's just kinda random who does get it.
Maybe I should just own it, wallpapers, stickers, merch, make it a whole thing, at least people will know her name, but then I may have to explain it to my parents or family members and that's a whole other can of worms

Perhaps it's best if I keep it to myself, but that wouldn't feel right. If just one person I know has the same reaction to her stuff I did, I know how significant that is and don't want to take that away from anyone

So, what do I do?
Old 06-06-2020, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post

Simply based on chance it's unlikely anyone I know at school is familiar with Alizée, and if they are I'd like to know who if so, maybe that's a bit strange but it'd be a great thing to bond over.
Anyway, I've been considering different ways of sharing her music or letting people know about her, but it's very difficult trying to think of how to go about doing so. How can I get people genuinely interested without it coming off as unnecessarily forced, or me being overly obsessed (which might be true but they don't need to know that yet )

Messaging people about her may be the most direct way to do it, but then in that case it should come up naturally in conversation and I'm not exactly being flooded with DMs.
I could mention it in person but who knows if they'll care to remember, which is understandable as it's a very random thing to bring up.
If I indirectly made in known, maybe someone sees her as my wallpaper and asks "who's that?", I kinda have to awkwardly explain it in the middle of class
The last thing I need is for it to become something people tease me about. Even if it's just friendly banter which it likely would be (my school's pretty laid back and people generally get along well), people might not take it seriously if I asked they actually listen to her music, or watch a certain video etc.

I wanna see if there's anyone who actually has the same reaction to her stuff, who shows genuine interest, but maybe that's impossible no matter how I go about it. There's obviously a 'wow' factor about her that only some people will find, we've all been lucky enough here to pick up on it, but not everyone will, it's just kinda random who does get it.
Maybe I should just own it, wallpapers, stickers, merch, make it a whole thing, at least people will know her name, but then I may have to explain it to my parents or family members and that's a whole other can of worms

Perhaps it's best if I keep it to myself, but that wouldn't feel right. If just one person I know has the same reaction to her stuff I did, I know how significant that is and don't want to take that away from anyone

So, what do I do?

I’ve been thinking about your question and it’s a really good one.

I think how a person would introduce Alizée to others depends on each person’s particular life and social circumstances.

One thing it depends on is who you are talking about. You mention your family, for example. In that case, I’d suggest you simply play her music whenever you get the opportunity when you are around them. For example, if you are in a car with a family member, ask if they mind if you put on a cd or stream through Bluetooth (or however you do it). I’d be casual about it. Rather than saying “Oh, you must listen to this!” I’d just play it. Most people I have seen mention it, say they found Alizée by accident—they heard her music and loved it.

When it comes to your friends (male friends—sorry, but I do believe there is a difference in how girls see things!) you could be more direct. Again, you could just play her music when you are together (outside of school, that is!) and tell them “hey, you should listen to this!” You could also just show them her videos. You don’t have to go into a lot of detail—just say you’ve found this really good singer you want them to hear. And of course you can add that she’s very pretty/hot/sexy—whatever term you like to use. If you have parties, I’d be sure her music was well represented—but not exclusively. Of course, if you are still social distancing this might have to wait till life gets back to normal!

For female friends, I have to say that most teenage girls, no matter how pretty or cool they seem to be, probably have a bit of insecurity. Enough, at least, that I’d advise being circumspect with any glowing descriptions about how attractive you think Alizée is! Alizée is truly lovely, and her poise and talent could make young girls feel a bit threatened—perhaps subtly, and maybe even subconsciously. So, for young women I’d suggest telling them you found this great singer you’d like them to hear, and just focus on talking about the songs.

If it’s a girl you are interested in dating, you might explain that Alizée’s romantic songs make you think of her! If that’s stretching the truth too much, though, I don’t think it is too much of a stretch to tell her you like “romantic music” like the French songs by this one singer—and tell her you’d like to listen to them with her. You can show her translations of the lyrics and find ways they seem to pertain to her, you and her, or just life. Just be prepared to reassure her that she is every bit as attractive to you as Alizée!

As far as sharing on social media, you could post links to her music and videos, but honestly I’m not sure how many people would actually make the effort to play them unless they were especially motivated to for some reason. The same goes for mentioning her in person, as you point out. People probably wouldn’t often remember or bother to look her up.

What would be great is if somehow you could incorporate her music into some kind of school/class project. Not one that necessarily highlights her, particularly. But say as the background music for a slide presentation or as a translation exercise in French language class.

Again, I think the trick in avoiding being teased or thought of as “obsessed” is to be casual, and not inundate people with all kinds of Alizée-related material or have a whole lot of pictures and things around you that they can see, but to find ways to have them hear her music.

Anyway, these are just my opinions. But I think my thoughts on this would apply, in many ways, to anything one particularly enjoys which one would like to share with others. I think when we are really, really into something we worry people will say we are “obsessed.” I think that’s such an unfortunate thing. It’s like we are being discouraged from being passionate about something. The flip side of that is just to have a superficial interest in everything and a deep love of nothing, and I don’t think humans are made to be that way. We like to get immersed in our interests, and there is nothing more natural than wanting to share our passions with others!

I’d love to hear how it goes for you and what ends up working out best for you. I think your instincts are quite right that keeping to yourself something that matters deeply to you is not the best way to go. It’s just all in the presentation. Good luck!

Last edited by Bamagirl; 06-06-2020 at 12:43 PM..
Old 06-06-2020, 12:45 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Tough subject!
A lot of people in this country don't speak French and a lot of times when they hear the words of a song and don't understand it, they are put off, so you'd kind of like to play one "her" English songs and that's not going to work, because MF did a poor job of writing the lyrics for them. The last thing you'd want to do is to have them hear the line "I'm foamely ecstatic".
"Her" one great English song is Amelie, but that's not going to grab them like a song like J'en ai marre will

If I could get them to watch one video, I'd probably play one I put together callled "A Sixpack of Alizee" which has segments from 6 of her songs. If who ever you get to watch it is getting a little tired of one song, then in short order, another song comes along. It has so many great looks of her.

I'll relate how I introduced my coworkers to her over 10 years ago. I was an aircraft mechanic (just retired). I would work the night shift and our shift would last until 2 hours after day shift showed up. Duing those last couple of hours is when all the overnight work is done and we just sit around waiting in case any of the early departures would break.

Well Saturday mornings when we were waiting for planes to break, was designated as "Music video Saturday", where we'd watch the music video channels. Well one morning when day shift showed up and the music videos came on, I walked up to the dvd player and amid a lot of grumbling, put in a dvd without telling anyone what it was. These guys were mesmerized for the next hour. It was time for me to go home so I left the dvd for them to watch and I got a lot of complaints because someone else had taken the dvd.

The first song on that dvd was "La Isla Bonita". Before I emphasized "her" songs because this one isn't one of her songs, but of course it's a great song. This would probably be the best video you to play first, before you played something like "A Six pack of Alizee". This way someone who sees it and is attracted to her beauty, voice or dancing will want to know more. Where as if you play a video like Moi Lolita Amsterdam if they don't like her, they'll think you're into young girls and similar thoughts would form if they didn't like JEAM. La Isla Bonita is safe. Again, if someone likes it, then, you break out the heavy artillery.

If someone is interested in her, I think I'd also let them know right away that these songs from back in 2003. That might be a disappointment to them, but it's better they find out from you rather than someone in the background saying that's almost 20 years ago!

As far as your family. I'll tell you another story about a young man who joined this forum when he was still in high school. On one of my first trips to Paris, I picked up some Alizee memorabilia and I believe I got an autographed cd for him. I mailed them to him when I got back. He had very strict parents and he kept watching for the mailman, hoping to get the package before his parents but they got to it first and they asked him "Who is this guy in Boston and what did he send you?", o he showed his dad a video and to his surprise he was okay with it.

As far as wallpaper, maybe this patch might be a good thing to have. It's from an AWACS squadron in Europe. Someone might ask you about it, then voila. But in a case like that where a few seconds mean a lot, I'd have a custom made video ready to play. If you just started playing J'en ai marre pour Laurette. It takes her several seconds to walk out on stage, then she stands there for several seconds and though she looks incredible, the first part of the music and the dance are kind of awkward with the music seeming to include kazoo type sounds to it. So you have to be ready with that heavy artillery right away, such as this here https://youtu.be/Rbw_c7THPhg?t=91, except I wouldn't have it as link, I'd have the custom made video on my desktop just a click away.

E3A squadron patch.jpg

If they saw that and wanted to see more, that would probably be a good time to play the Six pack of Alizee video. They get to see parts of 6 of her performances in the time it would usually take to watch one.

EDIT:

I just saw Bamagirl's posted just shortly before me and I think the thing about being in the car is a great idea if they have a cd player or some other way of inputting music into their system. I'd start off the playlist with La Isla Bonita. It's safe. Most people like it. Then I'd play Amelie (English version). After that it's hard to say. I wouldn't play Moi Lolita so if it's going to be a French song, I think I'd pick Hey Amigo or J'en ai marre. Though Jeam has kind of a corny beginning music wise, I love the music in the rest of the song. Youpidou English version might be another good one to have on there. Though there's problems with the lyrics, I love her voice and the beat of the song.

If you
Old 06-06-2020, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

One more thought (if you can stand it!). I am considerably older than you, female, and from a different country. Pretty many demographic differences between us! And yet, I am a fan of Alizée. My point is that there are many different reasons people like and admire her, and many different perspectives they are coming from. I am old enough that I am not threatened by her looks or her dancing ability; I can admire beauty and grace in her just as sincerely as I admire any great artist or work of art. I am experienced enough that I can appreciate her uniqueness and her talent. I enjoy her music and I can watch her videos with the appreciation and enjoyment one has for anything creative and compelling and well done. Not everyone will be watching/listening to Alizée for the same reasons, or taking away the same things from the experience. So, don't be disappointed if you find a variety of reactions from the people in your life to whom you introduce her. Your mother, father, siblings, peers, teachers, girlfriends and grandparents might all truly appreciate her. But, most likely, in different ways and for multiple and different reasons.

P.S. I just read Scruffydog's response and it is very good. He also gives excellent advice about the specific songs to choose from, and I love the patch idea. It looks classy and not like the kind of thing that would encourage people to tease or make fun.
Another possibility, which his post made me think of: You could give CDs of her music as gifts to certain people and just say you thought they might appreciate this music. The danger, of course, is that they would never listen to it, so I'd only do that for people you are pretty sure will make the effort to play it. That might be a good thing for your parents, for example.

Last edited by Bamagirl; 06-06-2020 at 08:42 PM..
Old 06-06-2020, 04:21 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post

So, what do I do?
Wot Bamagirl and Scruffydog said…

Their posts are both wonderfully “eloquent”, and “insightful”, and I’m going to say “absolutely” to every point and assertion that they have made…

Hmm, I sense that the “Lili Bug”, is very “strong” in this one…

So, I will however, caution you, to just “chill out”, and enjoy your very own, personal “ride”…

The thing is, what you are experiencing currently, is, very, very “subjective”, and very very “personal”, and any attempt to "proselytize" the “unenlightened masses”, is most likely going to be met with “ridicule” and possibly “disbelief”. They are most likely not going to “get” it, for they really do not, and can not, feel the same way that you do, about this.. subject…

Just “chill out”, “do your thing”, and enjoy “your Alizeé”, and if any of your “friends” or “associates” “pick up on” anything that you are “listening to”, or “looking at”, then very “gently”, “tentatively”, “enlighten” them, gauge their reactions, and then, continue “appropriately”, if appropriate…

But please, whatever you do, DO NOT “blurt out” to “everyone”, to “all and sundry”, “that you have just discovered this totally amazin’ young French singer, and she is just, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, and, is sooo, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, and you think, this, and that, etc etc etc, for, they really, most likely, probably will not get “it/you”, AT ALL

Actually, that, is a very good way to commit absolutesocial suicide”, in about 30 seconds, flat…

Just, “do your thing”, and they will “come” to you, if they are “meant” to…

From my own personal “standpoint”, it was never ever appropriate, to even remotely think about “spreading” the “Cult of Alizeé”. I was an Army Officer, with considerable rank, attached to the RN, I was old enough to be Alizeé’s father, and it was actually quite “risky”, from both a “social” and “career” viewpoint, to indicate any sort of interest, at all…

You see, if you indicated any kind of “positive regard”, you were obviously some kind of “pervert”, or a “pedo”, or “something”, for she was “obviously a child”, and if you didn’t show some kind of “reaction” to her, then you were obviously “gay”, or “something”. You just couldn’t win…

The merest “hints” of “either”, in my “service days”, were “career breakers”. The “wrong word”, “in the wrong ear”, “at the wrong time”, and it was a case of “don’t let the door hit you on the ass, on the way out”…

It was simply “safer”, and more, “prudent”, to simply “shut the hell up”, and “do my own thing”, “on my own time”, and if anyone showed any kind of interest, then, maybe, “we would see”, what “we would see”…

Just… "enjoy", "play it by ear" and “see what happens”…
Old 06-06-2020, 06:40 PM

Here's an image of another patch you could post alongside the other patch.

alize-002.jpg
Old 06-06-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
I think how a person would introduce Alizée to others depends on each person’s particular life and social circumstances.

I’d love to hear how it goes for you and what ends up working out best for you. I think your instincts are quite right that keeping to yourself something that matters deeply to you is not the best way to go. It’s just all in the presentation. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
The first song on that dvd was "La Isla Bonita". Before I emphasized "her" songs because this one isn't one of her songs, but of course it's a great song. This would probably be the best video you to play first, before you played something like "A Six pack of Alizee". This way someone who sees it and is attracted to her beauty, voice or dancing will want to know more. Where as if you play a video like Moi Lolita Amsterdam if they don't like her, they'll think you're into young girls and similar thoughts would form if they didn't like JEAM. La Isla Bonita is safe. Again, if someone likes it, then, you break out the heavy artillery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRafe View Post
Just… "enjoy", "play it by ear" and “see what happens”…
Thanks everyone for the input I've read through all your replies and you've all suggested some interesting ideas or made some good insights.

La Isla Bonita as a first song to introduce seems like the safest option, good idea Scruffy

As for now it's unlikely I'd hit up any girls about it, I'm not really in a position to do that So it'd just be guy friends for now, but who knows, maybe in the near future I will get lucky with some girl, in which case thanks for the insight Bamagirl!

In terms of my parents I'm honestly not sure how I would go about it. They're quite conservative and also fairly old considering my age as their son (I'm the youngest of 5 kids) so I'm not sure how they'd feel about my following of some French singer that's most well known for her younger lolita persona, even if that was a long time ago. My parents are usually very accepting of hobbies or interests I take up which is great, though I don't want them telling everyone they know about this new found obsession of mine

Ultimately though I think I'll follow RedRafes idea of it happening completely naturally, at least for right now. I've still got most of my life ahead of me (though with all the crazy stuff happening this year who knows for sure ). I'll refrain from messaging people about it for the time being, keep a low profile and as you said RedRafe, just see what happens.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:50 PM

Nothing ventured.....nothing gained.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Nothing ventured.....nothing gained.
I haven't given up completely, rather just decided to wait longer until I figure out the best way to go about it. I'll keep you guys updated if/when I do make any progress.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:58 AM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

I agree with others: keep a low profile and try to let everything happen "naturally". First impressions count a lot and they may be difficult to change.

The idea of playing her music in the car is great: this is the way I made one of my friend know about her. You also have to choose well whom you want to introduce to her: try to choose someone that you know may have the potential to understand this kind of things. But obviously don't start talking about your "obsession" too early. It would sound weird, so I think at the beginning it would be ok to be, let's say, "superficial".

So just be natural and "socially" discreet (I know it's difficult, indeed this thread is helpful for me too lol).
I think the best thing is to treat her as a normal singer and then, once you find someone that can go beyond the external aspect, you can start to talk about other things and to test the waters before going into deeper discussions.

Tags
family, friends, music, people, school