Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 08-23-2009, 06:50 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default learning about music

I thought this was an interesting example of the effort and precision that can go even into singing. It's an instrument that requires skill and practice like any other.
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cNips01HI0E&hl=fr&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Merci Fanny
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Logical Progression

Tomtentp is on a distinguished road

I liked the sucky way =)

... I see avatar people...

L´Ordre D'Alizée!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtentp View Post
I liked the sucky way =)
haha, well, to each his own, but I think it still makes a point.

Merci Fanny
Old 08-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Interesting. I understand his point about stress. The only thing that kinda bothers me is that it's not just an issue of emphasis, but it actually changes the rhythm of the phrase (the relative durations of "to," "your," and "fall" were actually changed). That might be well and good, but I wonder what would happen if another verse had a more important word in the same position as the word "to." Would you end up with two different versions of the rhythm of that phrase in the song and would that sound good or not?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Along the same line, here's a guy named Joe I've become acquainted with who owns a studio and produces other artists. This video gives you a peek into a recording session and how the producer and artist work together on a vocal part.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vMpM-oxoYX8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vMpM-oxoYX8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
Interesting. I understand his point about stress. The only thing that kinda bothers me is that it's not just an issue of emphasis, but it actually changes the rhythm of the phrase (the relative durations of "to," "your," and "fall" were actually changed). That might be well and good, but I wonder what would happen if another verse had a more important word in the same position as the word "to." Would you end up with two different versions of the rhythm of that phrase in the song and would that sound good or not?
Well, that is a good point, further pointing out why not everyone is a song writer or singer. Thinking about this also reminded me that it's not just the singing of the song, but figuring out how. I wonder what role Alizée has played in the composition of the vocals of "her" songs. She has spoken little about it and we saw that one little bit of video of her recording l'Effet.

And thanks Lefty. That was a good example. That reminds me of the movie La Bamba. There's a scene where they record one song like 60 times in one day because the producer keeps thinking it's not quite there. And after all that, I think it was Richie or his brother or something says: they all sounded the same to me. Indeed, little things do matter and they add up. There are just so many things to consider even aside from style that affect the quality. Particularly everything that goes into making a successful "pop" artist. As Alizée acknowledged one time, it's about half the music and half style and persona. Like in other walks of life that demand high degrees of engagement and devotion to quality, not only does not everyone figure out a way to hit upon the right formula and figure out what work must be done, ultimately not all find the effort worth while.

So, I think if we consider such things and the obviousness of how music moves us, it's easy to understand why musicians whom we can connect with (of which maybe singers are the most natural since they "speak" to us) are so revered.

Anyway, this Joe guy also makes me think of Boutonnat. He supposedly wrote Mylène's first successful song, Maman a tort, and "cast" her in his little film which was a music video for it (if I remember correctly). I suppose I should try to learn more about him since he was sort of the genesis of all of this.

Sorry, getting a bit beyond the topic here.

Merci Fanny

Tags
learn, music, rhythm, sing