Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Francophile!:D

Tye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I think that estimate of a few centuries is extremely optimistic. It will take years to get the oil flowing and it will not come just to the US. It will go up for sale on the world market and it wouldn't surprise me if much of it went elsewhere.

We really need to get serious about alternatives to oil. There is so much opportunity for entrepreneurship, new businesses and jobs. We should be at the forefront of this. There are no good short term solutions that I can see other than conserving where we can. I think this situation is a wakeup call and it’s time for us to wake up. In the meantime, the oil companies could always drill on the 68 million acres in the US that they already have leases and permits for, but haven't drilled yet.
I agree alternative fuels are something we need to research, however we can't do that with a staggering economy. It takes money. Now if we drilled, we could sell some, and put the profits in the economy and boost it. Look at Dubai for a good example of what happens when you discover oil and sell it. However, we also don't have to sell the oil to other countries. Either, way it would help us. So we need to stop letting what nature gave us go to waste.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Languishing Without Lili

NarutoSoul is on a distinguished road

Maybe if our(only speaking for the US) government would stop sucking the dick of Big Oil, we would be able to make some progress in alternative fuels. The oil companies are constantly buying up various inventions used to stretch out our limited resources and restricting alternative fuel research. Of course, I don't think that will happen as long as we are a Democratic Republic. The people we vote in to represent us are already in someone else's pocket and they endeavor to keep the system a positive structure to maintain such conduct.

Last edited by NarutoSoul; 07-31-2008 at 12:00 AM..
Old 07-31-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoSoul View Post
Maybe if our(only speaking for the US) government would stop sucking the dick of Big Oil, we would be able to make some progress in alternative fuels. Of course, I don't think that will happen as long as we are a Democratic Republic. The people we vote in to represent us are already in someone else's pocket and they to keep the system a positive structure to maintain such conduct.
This is another thing I'm for which is to create another party that can throw the democrats and republicans in Washington out on their asses. But American's are so set in there ways, and it costs so much to compete that I doubt this is gonna happen. The machine up there is too well oiled and the wheel is turning too fast to stop it. It's gonna take one major wrench on both democrats and republicans parts to stop it now. I wish I had the money because I would go for it.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:09 AM
Languishing Without Lili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye View Post
This is another thing I'm for which is to create another party that can throw the democrats and republicans in Washington out on their asses. But American's are so set in there ways, and it costs so much to compete that I doubt this is gonna happen. The machine up there is too well oiled and the wheel is turning too fast to stop it. It's gonna take one major wrench on both democrats and republicans parts to stop it now. I wish I had the money because I would go for it.
It won't work. Like I said, the Democratic Republic system of government is an outdated, and in our usage of it, corrupted institution. Sadly, the majority of Americans are too stupid and lazy to try and change it. Hell, even a pure Democracy would probably work better than this.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 AM

tbailey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It won't work. Like I said, the Democratic Republic system of government is an outdated, and in our usage of it, corrupted institution. Sadly, the majority of Americans are too stupid and lazy to try and change it. Hell, even a pure Democracy would probably work better than this.
if you're interested - check out these thinkers
Habermas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BCrgen_Habermas

coincidentally passed away today - RIP
and Mosca

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaetano_Mosca

if you're interested in categorical critiques of modern liberal democracies (especially the latter)
very interesting stuff
Habermas does more of a sociological analysis though
some wild thinking is also expounded by Kalyvas - really interesting way of looking at society

http://www.newschool.edu/lang/faculty.aspx?id=1638

Last edited by tbailey; 07-31-2008 at 12:20 AM..
Old 07-31-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post
if you're interested - check out these thinkers

Habermas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BCrgen_Habermas

coincidentally passed away today - RIP

and Mosca

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaetano_Mosca

if you're interested in categorical critiques of modern liberal democracies (especially the latter)
very interesting stuff

Habermas does more of a sociological analysis though

Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Yeah, I've thought about a pure democracy. I don't think the American public today realizes how much power we have. We don't have to vote in either of those men into office in November. If everyone stayed home it wouldn't happen. However, then congress would stick someone in office, which would just piss the average American off then you would have a conflict which would lead to revolution LOL! On a serious note though, we really don't have to put up with the system, but people get comfortable, and then they let these idiots in Washington spoon feed them a bunch of bullshit.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Languishing Without Lili

To be honest, things would be better if I was Dictator... I'm open enough to take suggestions. If anyone would like to hear my plans, you know how to contact me. Lol. That'll never happen, but it's nice to dream.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:19 AM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

We were doing really well keeping this a non-political thread guys and gals, lets keep that up! Politics is one of those no-noes around here.

Back to the OP, out here in WA state gas at the nearest station to my place is $4.10 for regular. I put mid-grade in my car, which was $4.39 last I checked, down from $4.44 at the beginning of the month. There's a gas station near my work where it's about 20 cents more per gallon on everything, but considering I work at the airport and airport areas always have high prices, that's not representative. The cheapest place in the city is, I believe, $3.99 for regular, but only if you pay cash.

I take the bus to work and back every day, driving just to the park and ride where I can board it. Parking cost at the airport is the real cause of my bus use ($26 a day), but gas would run me $10 a day by itself if I did the full 50 mile commute. With the buses, I can generally make a tank last two weeks, though just barely. A fill-up from as close to empty as I'll let it get broke $60 for the first time in my life at the beginning of the month. /grumble. Just 3 years ago, it was $25.

Last edited by Cooney; 08-01-2008 at 04:22 AM..
Old 08-01-2008, 05:25 PM
euuuhhhhh

Fish is on a distinguished road

Things are getting better around here. I saw it the cheapest its been in months yesterday at a local station, for 3.48. Still expensive, but its part of a trend. Prices are going down a few cents every couple of days around here- they were ~3.80 at the lowest a week and a half ago.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:14 PM

tbailey is on a distinguished road

did you guys hear that Exxon made 11 billion last quarter

that is a record - no other free enterprise entity has ever made that much money in 3 months

i heard that comes out to 11 thousand dollars per second (or something like that)

wow! do think their board of directors are rich?