Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 01-31-2016, 06:44 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I edited my long speech about this, just suffice to say I don't recognize it and there seems to be little to go on in the picture itself, especially for a big city.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 02-01-2016 at 08:44 AM..
Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 PM

Now this is something that interests me because I work in aviation and I'm a ww2 history buff. If nobody else is interested, so be it. It's something I want to find out myself. A few days ago, Jo Jacotey posted a picture of a good looking young woman in front of an old radial aircraft engine. At the time I asked where it was from. I found my answer very soon when I scrolled down and saw he had posted a few other recent pictures.
I asked Jo about the pictures as I have done with other pictures he's posted, but was surprised by the fact that this time he actually answered me. He said this was an engine from a B17 engine and it turns out it had been retreived from the sea and it was at a Corsican air museum. After not being able to find it the museum on line, I asked where it was and he said it was closed. I don't know if he meant closed for the season or more likely permanently closed.
So the main thing I'm wondering is was this picture of the enging taken inside or outside. I think it was outside and I'd like to find it. I think this should be simple, but I'm not sure.

Edit:

I found this info on the wreck;

The wreck of the B17 plane is one of the legendary wrecks along the Corsican shores. A.k.a. 'The Flying Fortress', this 32m wingspan over 22m length American Bomber had 4 engines and 13 machine-guns; it could cover up to 3200 km on a single trip. This very one, skippered by Lieutenant Charplik, is one of 4750 lost during WWII... On the 14th of February 1944, it takes off with 10 men aboard en route to bomb out the railway system in Verona, Italy; a squadron of German Messerschmitt 109 planes engages combat on the way. Serioulsy damaged by the fight, it lost 3 machine guns and changed its course for Calvi, with only 2 engines running. Eventually it is forced to a sealanding and only 6 members of crew are rescued.
Today the wreck rests 27 meters down, on a sandy bottom, at the foot of the old city of Calvi. As you descend onto the plane, a clear picture of its massive size emerges: it lies flat with the two wings and the 4 engines still attached, in good conditions. The tail has disappeared, providing a way to look at the inside of the cabin, along with the cockpit, still intact with the instruments and the pilot seats! Check out the engines, though a few parts and blades have been removed by metal scrappers, or just damaged and lost on impact... Some conger and moray eels have settled down in the wreck, and a few groupers and wrasses swim around!

http://www.tribloo.com/en/dive-sites...ane-wreck.html

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 02-08-2016 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 02-09-2016, 12:17 PM

I found a youtube video from 2013 that shows the wreck of the B17 mentioned above and in it, it looks like all 4 engines are there. They say this site is a memorial and people aren't supposed to remove parts of it, but they say they still have problems with people taking pieces of it, so even though it's possible an engine has since been removed, I think the engine in the first picture is from another B17 or could have even been a spare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xg5Nc04Uzw#t=252

Edit:

Going back to the first 3 pictures I posted; one was of what looked to be a small plane that you typically find in civil aviation. It had 3 models surrounding it wearing nomex uniforms such as the one when I was with a Dustoff unit. The nomex of course is fireproof. They obviously borrowed them for the shoot. I tried to look at the uniform patches to try and get a unit id off them but the pictures weren't detailed enough.

It then hit me like a ton of bricks. On a trip to Ajaccio where I flew in, I saw some twin engine planes on the other side of the field that were painted I know in mostly yellow. I'm not sure if they had red. They looked to me like either water bombers for fire fighting or crop dusting or something. I'll have to look through my pictures to see if I might have taken one.

EDIT: Found the picture; So it was in Ajaccio. These planes were on the opposite side of the runway and to the left.

Found close up pictures of these planes and they look like they are seaplanes. It must be maybe like a civil air patrol for ships in trouble or a coast guard?

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 02-09-2016 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 03-26-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comjoz View Post
Puzzle 25

The image below shows the ground floor, and the upper image shows the upper floors. Keep in mind that this is the current image of that location on Google. But in the past it looked somewhat different, and that can be also seen on Google if you select that option.

Where is this?
How it was related to Alizée?
As I've said before, I don't believe I've seen this picture before this thread or at least never paid any attention to it. But just last night, I watched this Youtube video and it reminded me of this thread. If it is the right place, it's gone through quite a bit of change. I still don't exactly know the significance of this picture, but after watching another video by the same poster, that showed the area where Alizée used to live in Corsica, I think I have a pretty good guess.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 03-26-2016 at 07:53 AM..
Old 07-27-2016, 11:44 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
...It then hit me like a ton of bricks. On a trip to Ajaccio where I flew in, I saw some twin engine planes on the other side of the field that were painted I know in mostly yellow. I'm not sure if they had red. They looked to me like either water bombers for fire fighting or crop dusting or something. I'll have to look through my pictures to see if I might have taken one.

EDIT: Found the picture; So it was in Ajaccio. These planes were on the opposite side of the runway and to the left.

Found close up pictures of these planes and they look like they are seaplanes. It must be maybe like a civil air patrol for ships in trouble or a coast guard?

Yes, and they get a lot of use during the summer.

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 07-27-2016 at 11:46 PM..