Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Support

Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
he eats the fish

i_luv_alizee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbeam View Post
I'm glad you had no problems playing En Concert, as mentioned already it seems like the cheap players do the best. I've got an old Phillips DVD player that plays almost anything but my Blu-Ray player is very picky.

Have you seen En Concert before? You've brought back memories of my first time. I liked Alizée and her music before I watched it but I can actually pin point the exact moment of En Concert when she broke me During a close up of her face during J'en ai marre! (yes, her face ) I was crushed by her beauty and I have yet to recover.
So far I've only watched some of it. Mainly I just wanted to make sure it played. So I don't really have an opinion yet. And no, I hadn't seen any of it yet. But I've seen plenty of performances courtesy of the Internet. So I kind of knew what to expect. Having said that though, the first one I watched was JEAM. I've always liked that performance. And I love how the DVD has more close-ups (yes, of her face) and you can tell that she's really enjoying herself.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
but I can actually pin point the exact moment of En Concert when she broke me During a close up of her face during J'en ai marre! (yes, her face )
There are some really great closeups on "Hey! Amigo!" too.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_luv_alizee View Post
I just got En Concert today - and it plays! I have two DVD players and have maybe twenty PAL DVD's. Out of those I would say that seventeen play flawlessly while two others have minor "issues". But one just won't play at all... And unfortunately the last one I got (before Alizée) was the one that refused to play at all. That was about a year ago and I've been really hesitant to get anymore PAL stuff. But around Christmas when I saw that Amazon (US) had En Concert, I just had to get it. So I'm just thrilled that it plays correctly.
congratulations and welcome to the club. I need Alizée friends to come over and watch it with me. I'll make popcorn.

Merci Fanny
Old 01-03-2009, 08:33 AM

lowbeam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
There are some really great closeups on "Hey! Amigo!" too.
Yes there are, and I must admit it may have been cumulative. Maybe her smile in J'en ai marre! just happened to be all my heart could take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
congratulations and welcome to the club. I need Alizée friends to come over and watch it with me. I'll make popcorn.
I would love to watch En Concert with others who enjoy it as much as I do, it's an experience I've never had. If we get together again I'd like to see about renting a place with a screen and enough room for us all, even if we're there for a live concert seeing En Concert together would be nice. RMJ was kind enough to share his place with us but he's not really set up for a crowd.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes there are, and I must admit it may have been cumulative. Maybe her smile in J'en ai marre! just happened to be all my heart could take.

I would love to watch En Concert with others who enjoy it as much as I do, it's an experience I've never had. If we get together again I'd like to see about renting a place with a screen and enough room for us all, even if we're there for a live concert seeing En Concert together would be nice. RMJ was kind enough to share his place with us but he's not really set up for a crowd.
Dude. You know you should have been there at the virtual concert in Washington. It will never be quite the same as that one, the day before Alizée's leak announced her return (everyone was so exstatic before figuring out that it was a leak and that was a bad thing. But you'll never again see such a huge crowd of people in such a joyous uproar, or at least I won't in a way that I can relate to. See, people may not get being an Alizée fan, but they may never have that experience in their life. I was yelling when I walked through the door going in to work the day after that. (everyone knew I was Alizée crazy by then.) That was a time when these forums really lit up.)

Merci Fanny
Old 01-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Schwazzy, baby !

The Cap is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Guest View Post
Keep in mind that standards conversion (especially these "Toys R Us" types in those DVD players)
will degrade the quality enormous, because of time stretching and resolution scaling.
The result would be disappointing.
Not always true, actually. Any name-brand DVD player capable of (1) playing PAL video, and (2) sending that video signal through it's NTSC outputs after conversion should produce acceptable (at worst) image and sound quality. However, there are caveats to observe : (1) "Name-brand" DVD hardware is important - cheap players from lower-quality manufacturers can produce inferior video output after conversion, and (2) even quality players can handle aspect ratios and cropping incorrectly, such that you may not be seeing the entire video frame on your NTSC display.

I'm using good quality NTSC equipment from Sony and Panasonic, but both brands are painfully strict about NOT being at all compatible with PAL in any shape or form. So, after my French "En Concert" DVD arrived from amazon.fr back in 2006, I spent a some time learning how to re-master the disc to NTSC standards. I even re-authored the menus into English, except for the song selection menus, which I left in French but added better menu highlighting. The overall result has some nearly unnoticeable color noise (due to some small compression required during format conversion), but I'm quite satisfied with how it all turned out.

It was a lot of learning and hard work, but I can enjoy "En Concert" and the extras on NTSC equipment with little quality loss.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:14 AM
2bz

Dark Engine is on a distinguished road

If it works on pc, couldn't you just rip it, convert to a movie file, then reburn it to another dvd?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Quote:
I would love to watch En Concert with others who enjoy it as much as I do, it's an experience I've never had.
Y'know, while it wouldn't be quite the same, we could co-ordinate a day for a bunch of us to get together on the Vent server, then cue it up and watch it "together" from the comfort of our own homes...sharing observations and pointing out some of the little things like editing gaffes.

It might even be interesting to record it for others to listen to later...sort of an "AAm commentary track" for the DVD.

Could be fun?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:01 PM

lowbeam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
Y'know, while it wouldn't be quite the same, we could co-ordinate a day for a bunch of us to get together on the Vent server, then cue it up and watch it "together" from the comfort of our own homes...sharing observations and pointing out some of the little things like editing gaffes.

It might even be interesting to record it for others to listen to later...sort of an "AAm commentary track" for the DVD.

Could be fun?
I think that's a great idea even if I don't understand how it works Could you explain, PM, email or link. We're already over the curb on this thread and heading for an open field
Old 01-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Looking through a glass onion.

Amigo! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
we could co-ordinate a day for a bunch of us to get together on the Vent server, then cue it up and watch it "together" from the comfort of our own homes...sharing observations and pointing out some of the little things like editing gaffes.
What about the popcorn?