Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Translations

Old 11-08-2006, 02:09 AM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
In Canada we have something called common law marriage, basically if you live together long enough as a couple you can qualify for whatever benefits you would have if you were officially married without any of the hassles of actually getting married.
We have that in the States, too.

Quote:
You don't need a piece of paper, that's just something lawyers started to make more money...
Not exactly. It's also important for things like durable power of attorney for health care (a.k.a., you're in a coma and your spouse has the right to decide whether doctors pull the plug or not).

It's philosophically fine to say "marriage is just a piece of paper," but there are certain legal rights conveyed by that paper, as well. In the coma example, a boyfriend/girlfriend cannot make health care decisions for you, should you be incapable of doing so. A husband/wife can. That's important.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Greg View Post
Not exactly. It's also important for things like durable power of attorney for health care (a.k.a., you're in a coma and your spouse has the right to decide whether doctors pull the plug or not).
Not an option. Killing is illegal here.

And such option shouldn't be spouse's choice anyways. He/she surely does not have the medical knowledge to decide if it's ok to let someone go. And even if he/she had the required knowledge, he/she wouldn't be in condition to do the choice.

It's doctor's choice if anyones.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:22 PM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
Not an option. Killing is illegal here.

And such option shouldn't be spouse's choice anyways. He/she surely does not have the medical knowledge to decide if it's ok to let someone go. And even if he/she had the required knowledge, he/she wouldn't be in condition to do the choice.

It's doctor's choice if anyones.
Again, a perfectly fine position to hold, but it's not the law. In certain situations it is not the doctor's choice (DNR, for example), regardless of whether you or I or anyone else thinks it should be.

(Also, you assume I meant "letting someone go." My argument also applies to "keeping someone alive." DPA for health care can come into play in both cases).

Regardless, we're getting off the issue. My point is simply that marriage carries legal rights that affect one's life in the real world. It isn't simply a piece of paper. It isn't simply about "commitment." It is a legally binding agreement, recognized by the state and the society as legitimate and worthy of certain rights and obligations.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Corsican beauty

Ange is on a distinguished road
Default Happy Anniversary

It was Alizee and Jeremy's third wedding anniversary on November 6! Congrats to them!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Congrats to Alizée and Jeremy!

Incidently, people sometimes ask what her middle name is, and it's usually replied that it's unknown. Take a peek at their marriage certificate (available online), and one can see that she doesn't have one. I'm not a Nevada lawyer or anything, but I believe it is required on a marriage document (and we can see Jeremy's is there).
Old 11-08-2006, 08:15 PM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
Take a peek at their marriage certificate (available online), and one can see that she doesn't have one. I'm not a Nevada lawyer or anything, but I believe it is required on a marriage document (and we can see Jeremy's is there).
In France, you actually have a secondary and a third name. But they never appear anywhere else than on your civil papers. You won't ever see an initial specified between the first name and the last name here (like in George W. Bush for example).
As for Alizée, I'm pretty sure I've seen her 2nd and 3rd names somewhere on the net (and of course she necessarily has those extra names like any other French).
Old 11-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie View Post
As for Alizée, I'm pretty sure I've seen her 2nd and 3rd names somewhere on the net (and of course she necessarily has those extra names like any other French).
You have seen wrong then. Because it does not appear anywhere. No-one knows it. If it exists... There was false information about her middle name in the past but fortunately people has forgotten it already (she was mixed with Jenifer).

But you are saying that French people typically has middle name ? Because you see, we were just having conversation about it:
http://www.alizee-forum.com/ptopic,706246.html#706246

Which way it is ? Do most French has it or not ? Even if it's not used often.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:30 PM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
You have seen wrong then. Because it does not appear anywhere. No-one knows it.
Woot, maybe I'm gonna learn you something about her then! If I retrieve them of course .

Quote:
But you are saying that French people typically has middle name ?
Two middle names actually. But they never appear anywhere else than on official paperwork. And generally, you don't even say them because there's that forename fashion in France and you almost always have old grandma/grandpa middle names that you're not very tempted to reveal (maybe Alizée's case if I'm mistaken and actually never saw her middle names on the net)

Quote:
Which way it is ? Do most French has it or not ? Even if it's not used often.
I never ever heard of someone who had none. In fact, I'm sure they're (both middle names) mandatory at birth (and Corsica is no exception, as well as more exotic French islands like Martinique, Guadeloupe or Guyane)

Last edited by aFrenchie; 11-08-2006 at 08:36 PM..
Old 11-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
Congrats to Alizée and Jeremy!

Incidently, people sometimes ask what her middle name is, and it's usually replied that it's unknown. Take a peek at their marriage certificate (available online), and one can see that she doesn't have one. I'm not a Nevada lawyer or anything, but I believe it is required on a marriage document (and we can see Jeremy's is there).
Been reading AF lately ?

But yea, congrats Lili et Jermy.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Corsican beauty

Ange is on a distinguished road

very interesting