Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 02-28-2011, 03:10 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
Rev, I am not quite sure what you are implying here, but just so you know, the original TECHNIKART article does not refer to a “big change” but rather to a “grand écart” that should be understood as a “wide range”, meaning, Alizée is claiming that les Enfoirés is something completely different from Institubes and she wants to make this stretch and cover a wide range of musical styles. So, if you are implying that she wants to make a big change in her musical style, she might, but I don’t think this is what she intended to say with that particular comment.
And further, what she meant about it being "compliqué" en France is that it's difficult to be known for one kind of music and then be accepted for another, something she has said many times while talking about trying to change from her Lolita days style to something else (to what exactly I don't think anyone knows?). That's not really what she's talking about here, but it's the same issue.

Of course, it's difficult everywhere and I'm still not sure that's even what the problem is. To be brutally honest, without the right image and "angle" and promoting it well, I don't think she has the singing/performing talent to become a pop-star ever again. It's simply amazing that people still hold on to that. Is it ever too late? I'm under the impression that it would take exciting promotions and millions of euros to pull that off. Obviously, Alizée needs to take a different method and has needed that perhaps ever since she left M&L. The idea was to be a big hit in 2007 and solidify her position as a pop-star. That didn't happen for all the many reasons we know. And frankly, I think she has lost credibility to the point where I'm not sure what angle could be taken to promote her even with millions of euros. It's not even that the album wasn't good. It wasn't life altering, but it was good enough. It's just the lack of follow through with all that she talked about and all that her fans hoped for that has caused her to lose credibility as a commercial/popular entity and again, when she went to Israel for example, I'm sorry but that Skaat guy was really good and he sounded better in French than she did. It's that kind of thing that I'm talking about when I say that she needed the practice as well as the packaging. Tough love here. Either that or I'm just no longer a fan and don't hear what others hear. Though, she is so easy to fall for in general and I even like hearing her talk because of that cute voice she has. She has adorable and admirable qualities, but hardcore fan generating qualities anymore?

I'd like to see her directing events of the sort of Les Enfoirés and of course performing there. But how, when, where? I think Alizée has enough talent that she could have offered the world more to love and enjoy and still could, but there's a big difference between having the skill (and even willingness) to do something and getting the opportunity to be the person doing it. I know that too well.

"C'est le club du showbiz français, de la variété [français]. Le grand écart avec Institubes. Je veux faire ce grand écart, même si en France, c'est compliqué. C'est pourtant bien de s'intéresser à tout."
My take is that she is saying that there is a wide difference between Les Enfoirés "variété français" and what is put out by Institubes and she wants to be able to, in any case, perform the kind of music done by Institubes. But, in France it's difficult to be into different stuff, have more than one clear image/persona to put forth to the public. (something she has said with regard to changing from her Lolita image and music to a different style) But still, it's good to take an interest in everything.
So, she was trying to promote her new album and her relationship with Institubes at the time in spite of being on shaky ground. Frankly, I think it had more to do with that than anything else.

Merci Fanny
Old 02-28-2011, 04:40 AM
Cheesy

Naft is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake04 View Post
I hope she could revive her career the way Kylie Minouge did. Although it was easier for KM since she's Australian and sings in English, I think Alizee can take a page or two from her. Maybe a little less provocative than KM. It wouldn't be a shock for her fans since she started it with Moi..Lolita. It's more like going back to her roots like you said.
I like Alizee do more cover songs as well. She proved that she could do them very well with LIB, Il Jouait Du Piano Debout and others. (Speaking of Il Joouait...I can't believe I just found out about this video a couple of days ago. It's now one of my favorite Alizee performances and have been watching it like a hundred times a day trying to make up for the lost time).
I suggested a tv show as well as this would give her steady income, a platform to keep her on public's minds as well as an audience to promote her new singles/albums in the future. She is telegenic and has a pleasing personality for a tv host. This is something that, IMO she really has to take into consideration. I know a couple of tv hosts from a so-called "third world country" that make millions of dollars (That's right. US dollars!) a year. And France is definitely not a third world country.
Same here, found out about the video about a week ago, now I hum it subconsciously.

As for her career I'll agree with Scruffy, she has the potential to actually become a pop-star again although in any direction which she may choose, I'll gladly support her and I'm sure it (from a "strangers" point of view, not somebody that's done everything she has) can reach out to an audience that might be smaller, or bigger depending in which direction she chooses to go.

I also doubt she would ever go into a "Lady Gaga" type of style as mentioend earlier, as I saw a cover of some French magazine where it said something along the lines with "I'm not Britney Spears" and I might be far off but it seems as she's distancing herself from the lolita image as it is, I doubt she'd get into a new one.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Bigdan is on a distinguished road

Suggestion !

Could it be possible to to sum up this thread to 6 or 8 points, in order to create a poll and see what are the most recommended carreer choices by AA members ?

This way it will be easy to consult by anyone (preferably a dark-haired Tinker Bell ) without reading the 22 pages....

Old 02-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
.............. when she went to Israel for example, I'm sorry but that Skaat guy was really good and he sounded better in French than she did. It's that kind of thing that I'm talking about when I say that she needed the practice as well as the packaging. Tough love here. Either that or I'm just no longer a fan and don't hear what others hear.

I think you're right about that song and I also think her singing of Dis lui toi que je t'aime wasn't that good. I like her version, mainly because it's her singing it, but I think Vanessa Paradis's version is truely a beautiful version. But after all it was a song that was written for Vanessa Paradis and not Alizee. She was just singing it because it was one of Serge Gainsbourg songs and this was a concert to pay tribute to him.

I've heard many people here say before that Alizee has a wide vocal range. I don't think she does. I'm not saying it's a small range, I'm just saying it has it's limitations. Within her range, she has a very, very beautiful voice and I think it's very hard for a singer to listen to one of her own songs and tell how good it is, that is why I keep stressing having a manager who will tell her things straight up, no sugercoating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdan View Post
Suggestion !

Could it be possible to to sum up this thread to 6 or 8 points, in order to create a poll and see what are the most recommended carreer choices by AA members ?

I think that might be a good idea, but if we're going to suggest to her choices to be made concerning her career, should we not first have a poll as to why two Psych concerts were cancelled in Paris? Was it just lack of promotion and why was UEDS labeled a flop? Was it her switch to Electronic music? I think it was just a poor choice of what band she worked with.

But I think we should not as AAm make recommendations to her concerning her career, if we can't all agree as a group as to what went wrong.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 02-28-2011 at 12:51 PM..
Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
However, Google gives two different definitions (and of course we all know they are the expert with regards to the "windy one"). One is "wide gap" and the other is "splits."
Sure, this is because, in French, "faire le grand écart" also (mainly) means to do the split.

Last edited by Corsaire; 02-28-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Old 02-28-2011, 01:23 PM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Awhen she went to Israel for example, I'm sorry but that Skaat guy was really good and he sounded better in French than she did.
I agree. Skaat did sound better. At first I thought maybe it was a Hebrew or Jewish song that's why Alizee did not sound that good. However, I still enjoy it because it's our Alizee. I look at the whole package (the smile, gestures dance, etc.), not just the voice. Susan Boyle might have sounded better but I would still prefer Alizee. I also prefer her rendition of Dis-lui toi que je t'aime better than Vanessa's.
As I was watching the Academy awards last night, I couldn't help but think of Alizee. I saw my favorite actress and she was wearing something that I didn't really like. I thought she looked "okay" but not great. But that didn't bother me a bit because I knew given the right dress, no one would have looked better (Well, except Alizee, of course!) Same thing with Alizee, given the right song, NO ONE would have sounded better. JEAM (En Concert), Tempete (En Concert) and Il Jouait Du Piano Debout IMO, prove that.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
when she went to Israel for example, I'm sorry but that Skaat guy was really good and he sounded better in French than she did.
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I think you're right about that song and I also think her singing of Dis lui toi que je t'aime wasn't that good. I like her version, mainly because it's her singing it
Well I'd say Alizée's voice was pretty much up there with her performances Il Jouait Du Piano Debout, La Isla Bonita and Ella Elle L'a. Offcourse they will always be some of her most classic and beautiful renditions/performances.. but what made Dis lui toi que je t'aime so amazing for me was the fact she was singing it live without it being polished up and tweaked in the studio.

Alizée sang her heart out here and this is one of most amazing renditions I've ever heard and I'm not just saying that cause it's Alizée.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VuYkEPyDquw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:
I think Vanessa Paradis's version is truely a beautiful version.
Well one could argue that they're both beautiful versions.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UuwIOb3zRSs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur
Old 02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Cheesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un-rêve View Post
Well one could argue that they're both beautiful versions.
Both are beautiful in their own way.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

This is my favorite video of Vanessa Paradis singing Dis lui toi que je t'aime .

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G5aGwkKP6HQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Of course it must have been done in a sound studio. I'l love to hear an Alizee rendition of it that had that benefit.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Cheesy

Quote:
This is my favorite video of Vanessa Paradis singing Dis lui toi que je t'aime .

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G5aGwkKP6HQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Of course it must have been done in a sound studio. I'l love to hear an Alizee rendition of it that had that benefit.
I noticed that on Youtube when you favorited it, it's good but it's missing "it".

Now, to actually add something to the topic:

I just watched several live versions of Moi...Lolita, one particular caught my attention, the Saturday Night Show one. The reason I bring it up is because it's sung live and when she goes into chorus the entire crowd starts cheering, and she just brightens up like a spark. Deep down she loves singing and performing and she reflects it very well, I doubt she would end her music career anytime soon because of that simple reason.