Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > The AAm Project

Old 07-27-2012, 08:11 PM

awkward Turtle is on a distinguished road
Default Music for my wedding

I am getting married in a few weeks and over the years I have managed to convert my soon to be wife from somebody who despised Alizée as "that French chick he is way too into" into a begrudged Alizée fan. The En Concert DVD helped a lot with that.

I am currently in the process of picking music to play at the reception and I want to know what the community's views are on good Alizée songs to play at a wedding. I think we are going to make sure that there are at least three or four, enough to enjoy them and expose people but not too much so that we overwhelm people or weird them out with all the French music.

Let me know what you think would be the best to play! Remember, they need to be something people can dance to and enjoy.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Оле Оле

alizeefan is on a distinguished road

What an interesting question ! Unfortunately i've found when people don't understand something like a foreign language they fear it and depending on the maturity and their understanding may dislike it without giving it a chance . The old what the %^#$ is this ? Questioning . . . Being a festive get together that is easily overcome . Play your favorite songs as most important is your wife is o k with your selections , be SURE !
It's yall's wedding not ours or your guests besides requests . No matter what you play if you are enjoying it and dancing then others will follow right along with you .

People can dance to anything , especially if you get them into it by dancing .
Again my request is to play your favorite songs and be a dancing fool with your wife alot as well some guests . Congratulations !
Old 07-28-2012, 03:41 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

First of all, congratulations on two fronts. First in getting married, second on converting your wife to your religion (the order of Alizee that is)

Kind of interesting this should come up now. I can't remember if I posted this story here or if I e-mailed it to a freind but I'll relate it again either way.

A couple of weeks ago I recieved an invitation to a wedding for my cousin's daughter. On it they asked the recipient to request a song. Now I've always been close to my cousin's family. He has 2 daughters and a son. About 3 years ago, all of them were in college. I drove up to Canada with the son, and joined the rest of my cousin's family at his father's house for a short vacation.

One day I was playing cards down stairs with the older members of the family. I had my laptop out and I was showing them some Alizee videos. The kids (20s) were upstairs playing a game. They (the three kids and the older girls boyfreind) came down stairs to freshen thier drinks. Well Amelie just happened to be playing on my laptop. They recognized the name Amelie and it turns out, all of them had seen the movie, three of them on different occassions.

Getting back to the invitation and the song request, I wanted to request a song that wouldn't be inappropriate for the wedding. I thought Amelie would be good, because it's in English and it's a good happy story. I thought to e-mail the mother to see what she thought and she e-mailed me back that the movie Amelie was the favorite movie of the sister of the bride to be, so I'm hopeful that it will be played.

Last year I had gone to a family wedding and I had asked that Alizee's version of La Isla Bonita be played and they didn't play her version, but I think either of these songs would be good for a wedding in this country. A French song might seem out of place, but I think both of these songs would fit in very well.

The only problem with La Isla Bonita is it's sung in front of an audience and at times you hear the audience clapping and cheering which might be a drawback.
On the invitation, next to where I wrote in the song I requested, I also said that I could supply a cd 's go with the song on it.

If you were to play a French song, I'd have to choose ACC. It has a great beat and there are a lot of words in it that can be understood by any Enlgish speaking person. As far as it being appropriate that probably depends on whether your relationship goes against the current in any way.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 07-28-2012 at 03:52 AM..
Old 07-28-2012, 09:34 AM

awkward Turtle is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice, I do remember reading your story, Scruffy. I know people might be a little put off by French songs, which is why we are limiting them, but a lot of the music I listen to is French, so at my wedding some will be played. Our first dance is going to be a version of La Vie en Rose by Édith Piaf that has the first verse in French and then the second in English, so I feel that will somewhat warm people up to it by first showing them the French and then showing them how beautiful the lyrics to the song are in English.

As for Alizée songs, we were thinking 50/60 and JEAM so far. We thought about ACC because it is probably my favorite of her songs, but JEAM is a bit more danceable. I think if the French songs are spread throughout the evening, people won't be bothered by them.

Amelie might work too, I will have to think about that one.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

If I remember right, Rictor once said he would like Eden Eden to be played at his wedding I liked the idea (still do), maybe you could play that one as well, obviously as a slow-dance kind of number. As for other songs, Lilly Town is pretty danceable, and I agree that ÀCC is also a great choice.

Also, congrats dude!!!! All the best to you guys
Old 07-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
The only problem with La Isla Bonita is it's sung in front of an audience and at times you hear the audience clapping and cheering which might be a drawback.
Somebody didn't buy Psychédélices Mexican Tour Edition.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I5O-FQ69-cs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://youtu.be/I5O-FQ69-cs
Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Take me to Lilly Town

Taxi Driver Aaron is on a distinguished road

I think that one of the things to be cognizant of when exposing people to foreign music is how it sounds to them for the very first time. People are not going to be able to understand the lyrics or the meaning of the song and you both will, but they will hear and understand the melody, tempo, and feelings that conveyed through the music.

With that said... a happy song with a mellow melody will probably not be a good idea... conversely, you can have a provocative break-up song that sounds happy for your first dance and you might even be able to pull it off! ha ha ha...

Anyway.. with that in mind.. here are my suggestion...

La Javanaise (Monaco 2008 Version) - by Alizée ... This is Alizée doing a cover of a classic French song... however it is the best version, in my eyes of that song! It may also be recognizable to some of the guests. I posted a video of it below but you can find audio with the clapping at the end and everything edited out... you'd have to endure clapping in the beginning but that's no biggie.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WP9LYD_Am4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmith View Post

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I5O-FQ69-cs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Sorry but... live version was better.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zqySOwqRumw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Taxi Driver Aaron; 07-28-2012 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 07-28-2012, 11:38 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmith View Post

I really don't like that version of that song.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 07-28-2012 at 11:52 PM..
Old 07-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Take me to Lilly Town

Taxi Driver Aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Amen Scruff! .... don't get me wrong.. I love her voice and I like the song.. but not that version.. Plus I firmly believe that she was coached to sing a version to make it her own... I like the cover better!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:50 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi Driver Aaron View Post
Amen Scruff! .... don't get me wrong.. I love her voice and I like the song.. but not that version.. Plus I firmly believe that she was coached to sing a version to make it her own... I like the cover better!

Of all the songs she created new versions for, this is the one I like the best - at least this recording of it. Some of the others I often have to turn off - they simply do not do justice to the songs.

Tags
wedding