Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Apprendre l'anglais

Old 09-21-2012, 02:10 PM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road
Default Beautiful Languages

I was reading a discussion over languages on some other forum and one poster pointed out that Italian is considered as one of the most beautiful language. Why?

I have noticed same with some other languages. Urdu and Telugu are considered more melodic and beautiful than other languages in this part of the world.

German is probably considered anti-beautiful? Germans (read Jenny) please don't kill me for this.

So, what's the reason behind adoring a language more than other? Is it just stereotype? Is it because art and literature flourished more in one language than other ones?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
Is it just stereotype? Is it because art and literature flourished more in one language than other ones?
I don't know if it's because of literature and art, but that sounds like a good reason. I personally like the sound of Portuguese, but I don't know any art or literature in that language, just a song or two, one of which I will link below. Just from hearing people speak it, I like the sound of it. Especially girls It sounds a little bit like Spanish and French put together with an extra something, it's quite nice in my opinon

This is a song from the 70s by Roberto Carlos, a famous Brazilian singer. It's a song about a very loyal friend. I believe it's called Amigo

Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 PM

Karin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
German is probably considered anti-beautiful? Germans (read Jenny) please don't kill me for this.
cause its hard like a swine

Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I hear a lot of people say that French is the most beautiful language. I think this concept of "beautiful language" has a lot to do with the way a language sounds when properly pronounced rather than just the words of the language itself. That's why many English speakers like the sound of a person speaking English with a French accent, or for that matter, with an Italian accent. They can almost make English sound beautiful. Personally, I enjoy hearing English spoken in many different accents.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 PM

awkward Turtle is on a distinguished road

I think a beautiful language is all just up to personal preference. I actually think German can be quite beautiful with the right voice and intonations.

On the other hand, I find Italian to be quite an ugly language. That might be because I speak Spanish and think Italian sounds like Spanish, just with random hard and jarring sounds thrown in which ruins the entire ascetic of the language. Then again, it is all just opinions, and I am sure many people will disagree with mine here.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was reading a discussion over languages on some other forum and one poster pointed out that Italian is considered as one of the most beautiful language. Why?

I have noticed same with some other languages. Urdu and Telugu are considered more melodic and beautiful than other languages in this part of the world.

So, what's the reason behind adoring a language more than other? Is it just stereotype? Is it because art and literature flourished more in one language than other ones?
An anecdote sometimes attributed to King Charles is: "I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men and German to my horse." (noted in Wikipedia)

I think of English as not a very beautiful language. I would love to see Sanskrit become the universal language, but alas, it is not to be.

Spanish, Italian and French are often referred to as romance languages. I am guessing that this is due to the easy flow of pronunciation as well as the ability of these languages to convey emotionality and nuance well.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 AM

Bigdan is on a distinguished road

http://youtu.be/9BDyEB4T84g

Juliette Greco.
The French language at his best.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 AM

awkward Turtle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Spanish, Italian and French are often referred to as romance languages. I am guessing that this is due to the easy flow of pronunciation as well as the ability of these languages to convey emotionality and nuance well.
They are called Romance languages because they all evolved from Latin, the language spoken by the Romans.

In just the same way, English belongs to the Germanic family of languages because it evolved, along with German, Dutch, Norwegian, and others from a theorized proto-Germanic language.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 AM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post

Is it the case with languages having lot of words ending with a vowel?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:05 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is it the case with languages having lot of words ending with a vowel?
I don't know any more. I remember learning all this in high school, but I have long since forgotten the details. Do we have a language major out ther who can answer this (where is Garcon Canadien when you need him)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkward Turtle View Post
They are called Romance languages because they all evolved from Latin, the language spoken by the Romans.

In just the same way, English belongs to the Germanic family of languages because it evolved, along with German, Dutch, Norwegian, and others from a theorized proto-Germanic language.
And those from Indo-European - the common root to western and Indian languages, including Latin and Sanskrit.

By the way, if I remember correctly, Lithuanian is the closest modern day language to the ancient Indo-European.