Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 01-22-2012, 08:52 AM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
You childerkin are devolving to such a state that "How are you?" is too complex a thought.
It's like you read my mind... Are you a mind reader?

What really bothers me with text speech is it implies the sender is far too busy to even bother to type out the full word.

If I have to text (I prefer phone calls, it's what the phone is for...) I will type in proper English with proper punctuation.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM
euuuhhhhh

Fish is on a distinguished road

Never getting in the habit of using text speak/shorthand online or on phones has made me a better writer than my peers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
Believe it or not here in the UK the Government are talking about allowing Text Speak in school examinations.
...is your government full of morons?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
If I have to text (I prefer phone calls, it's what the phone is for...) I will type in proper English with proper punctuation.
Same here.

I don't give a crap if it takes me 600 characters to answer your seven character-long question, I'm going to answer in English because I'm not an animal.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

Meh. I just dislike it when people turn using proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, etc. into some kind of elitism. "You're not good enough for me to read your texts because you don't type perfectly and I do".. really? You're typing a casual conversational text to a friend, not a speech for the president. Especially people who constantly correct others on their grammar and such over text, it kind of gives off an air of snobbery and pretentiousness.

The english we all use and consider to be proper today is actually a simplified version of the original language our forefathers spoke. I'm not saying using lobotomized sentences such as "go 2 the store 4 me nd get sum milk" will or should be the norm fifty years from now, but it's essentially the same concept. The difference is that now we communicate more through sending and reading text, therefore rather than verbal differences we see differences in spelling and such.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée

Last edited by Azhiri; 01-22-2012 at 09:08 PM..
Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Take me to Lilly Town

Taxi Driver Aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
Meh. I just dislike it when people turn using proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, etc. into some kind of elitism. "You're not good enough for me to read your texts because you don't type perfectly and I do".. really? You're typing a casual conversational text to a friend, not a speech for the president. Especially people who constantly correct others on their grammar and such over text, it kind of gives off an air of snobbery and pretentiousness.

The english we all use and consider to be proper today is actually a simplified version of the original language our forefathers spoke. I'm not saying using lobotomized sentences such as "go 2 the store 4 me nd get sum milk" will or should be the norm fifty years from now, but it's essentially the same concept. The difference is that now we communicate more through sending and reading text, therefore rather than verbal differences we see differences in spelling and such.
you go girl!.. errr, wait! was that proper?

I am typing from my phone right now so I can't dive into too much detail or it'll hurt my thumbs! but... the American Psychology Association (APA) Manual, which is a guide that is followed by credited schools for scholars in the united states, also recognizes the shifting paradigm change with texting and short hand.

It changed the rules of grammar in the 5th eddition to one space after a period to allow for fewer characters. At the time, reserving character length had been popular with the text messaging length restraints, hence the short hand and use of numbers. Now, the text messaging character restraints are virtually gone so the 6th edition of the APA manual went back to two spaces after each period.

However, short hand is still recognized and is deemed acceptable in the world for popular use. Mainly because of the desire to keep text conversations pithy but also because of popular use of tools that still have character restraints such as twitter.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Recline yourself

It's not elitism, it's expected as an educated human.

I've seen examples to such a degree of my point that it's obvious that it actually took more time and effort to purposely type something incorrectly. Then it shifts from an issue of lethargy to one of a cultural meme which in my opinion is much more severe.

If anyone objects, spend half an hour reading comments on YouTube, and come back to me completely calm.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
It's not elitism, it's expected as an educated human.
My dad uses shorthand through text and he's a rocket scientist, Vanderbilt graduate. WHAT NOW JALEN.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi Driver Aaron View Post
you go girl!.. errr, wait! was that proper?

I am typing from my phone right now so I can't dive into too much detail or it'll hurt my thumbs! but... the American Psychology Association (APA) Manual, which is a guide that is followed by credited schools for scholars in the united states, also recognizes the shifting paradigm change with texting and short hand.

It changed the rules of grammar in the 5th eddition to one space after a period to allow for fewer characters. At the time, reserving character length had been popular with the text messaging length restraints, hence the short hand and use of numbers. Now, the text messaging character restraints are virtually gone so the 6th edition of the APA manual went back to two spaces after each period.

However, short hand is still recognized and is deemed acceptable in the world for popular use. Mainly because of the desire to keep text conversations pithy but also because of popular use of tools that still have character restraints such as twitter.
Thank you for that contribution Taxi Man. Even the APA backs us up

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée

Last edited by Azhiri; 01-22-2012 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 01-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Recline yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
My dad uses shorthand through text and he's a rocket scientist, Vanderbilt graduate. WHAT NOW JALEN.
If he had graduated from a real college maybe he'd write like a respectable person.

If it's in a case where shorthand is being used amongst a select few who also use the shorthand (rocket scientists, Panda Express workers, etc), then I don't see too much of an issue.

However, if I get a message on Facebook from someone with an avatar of their abs in a spotty mirror reading "heyyy u r the newspaper guy rigt??" I'm going to stew angrily on the foot of my bed until I convince myself that his apathy will get him killed in a wild boar accident before he can do any real harm to society.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
If he had graduated from a real college maybe he'd write like a respectable person.

If it's in a case where shorthand is being used amongst a select few who also use the shorthand (rocket scientists, Panda Express workers, etc), then I don't see too much of an issue.

However, if I get a message on Facebook from someone with an avatar of their abs in a spotty mirror reading "heyyy u r the newspaper guy rigt??" I'm going to stew angrily on the foot of my bed until I convince myself that his apathy will get him killed in a wild boar accident before he can do any real harm to society.
Vanderbilt is a great college!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Take me to Lilly Town

Taxi Driver Aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I also happen to be a rocket engineer... I am currently working on a PhD and I am in my second year.

What people need to realize is that learning English at a high school level is like pistol school. They spend all this time telling you the proper way to remain safe and to keep the ammo in a separate room from the gun because you are learning the basics... but when you advance, you find out that you have to unlearn some of the basics as it defeats the purpose of having a gun readily available for your safety... well... assay writing defeats the purpose of pithy communication across chat forums and in the real world.

Another thing that is going obsolete is resumés... employers are starting to higher applicants based on their ability to perform (demonstrated in interviews and other testing processes). Experience is considered to be the best education. Nobody cares to read about your experience anymore, even if it is only a page long. They are more interested on your experience and if you can demonstrate what you, and other people, say you can do. That is why probation periods are 90 days in most starting jobs. Where I began my career, the probation period was a year.

Last edited by Taxi Driver Aaron; 01-23-2012 at 12:22 AM..