Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road
Default 33rd America's Cup

The first race of the America's Cup was raced this morning off Valencia, Spain.

For those who are wondering what this topic is doing in an Alizée forum, keep in mind how much their family is into sailing. You can bet that they were all glued to their TVs this morning - if one or more did not actually journey to Valencia to watch it in person. So, if you are a true Alizée fan, you probably should have at least a vague sense of what the America's Cup is about - hence this thread.

The America's Cup is probably the oldest trophy in sports. The original race was in 1851 when an American, using a yacht called the America (hence the name of the Cup) decided to enter an English race, and proceeded to beat them all by a wide margin.

in 1887, the Cup was donated to the NY Yacht Club "upon the conditions that it shall be preserved as a perpetual Challenge Cup for friendly competition between foreign countries."

The link to the offiicial site is:
http://www.americascup.com/en/index.html
From this site:

Deed of Gift

The Deed of Gift is the original document that created the America's Cup. In the years after America won the 100 Guinea Cup in 1851, the ownership syndicate donated the trophy to the New York Yacht Club under a Deed of Gift, which stated that the Cup was to be "a perpetual challenge cup for friendly competition between nations."

"Thus was born the America's Cup, named after the winning yacht America. The Deed of Gift, with a few subsequent amendments, is the basic document governing the event to this day."

The Cup has been offered up ever few years since then. The races were at Newport, Rhode Island, USA. Until 1983, it was always won by the Americans. In 1983, the Australians won for the first time, and the home base for the cup went there. Since then, the Cup has been won by several countries, and the competition has hopped around the world.

Now it is being raced off Valencia. The defenders are the Swiss (Alinghi) and the Challengers are the Americans (BMW Oracle Racing). This has turned into a war on the water, as the two sides could not agree on anything, and so the default rules specified in the Deed of Gift kicked in. The race is a best of 3 series, raced today, on Sunday, and (if needded) on Tuesday.

The boats are incredibly high tech, with each team probably spending well over 100 million dollars on development.

If you get a chance, go to the above web site and have a look. You will get a sense of how big the boats are when you see the size of the people standing on the hull.

May the best sailors win.

Last edited by Rev; 02-12-2010 at 02:00 PM..
Old 02-13-2010, 07:10 PM

Race 1 saw a huge number of visitors on www.americascup.com. 346,604 unique visitors or computers logged on to the website during Friday. In terms of countries the USA accounted for 123,225, Italy second highest with 92,811, Switzerland with 80,889, France 65,951.

Next race is on Sunday, starting at Noon Valencia time.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:54 PM

Criss_pl is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I find interest in everything, sport, history, science, so America's Cup isn't a mystery for me, but now I'm concentrating more on Winter Olympics in Vancouver, 9 time zones difference doesn't make problem for me, cause now I have winter holidays for next 2 weeks, exactly during competitions.

One of my friend is veery big fan of sailing, she sails herself, and she went Valencia for this Cup So when she come back I will get full relation from America's Cup.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss_pl View Post
Yeah, I find interest in everything, sport, history, science, so America's Cup isn't a mystery for me, but now I'm concentrating more on Winter Olympics in Vancouver, 9 time zones difference doesn't make problem for me, cause now I have winter holidays for next 2 weeks, exactly during competitions.

One of my friend is veery big fan of sailing, she sails herself, and she went Valencia for this Cup So when she come back I will get full relation from America's Cup.

I'm watching the Olympics as well - especially Luge, and anything on 2 skis. I have been a skier all my life.

I've also been an avid sailer and racer, so the America's Cup is a bigger deal to me than the World Cup (although not by too much as I also played soccer (futbol) for years).

Anyway, the America's Cup is over. USA beal Alinghi 2-0.

I was at a prior America's Cup and it was an amazing time. I would be very interested in what your friend thought of the entire experience.

Tags
alizee, america's cup, americas cup, racing, yachting