Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 PM
I AM BOXXY, YOU-YOU-YOU-YOU SEE?

DopeBoy is on a distinguished road
Default Alizee-America Guitarists

Hi guys, I thought it'd be great if we had a thread where we could share lessons, articles, videos and just general tips on playing guitar. Judging by older threads I'm guessing we have quite a few capable musicians who could share their hard-earned wealth of knowledge with those like myself who are just starting to learn. I figure we can dump all kinds of information here and then I can edit this first post and organize it all into various topics such as: Technique, Practice(tips on practicing most effectively and how much to practice, what to practice), Tabs/Sheet Music, Tone/Equipment, Theory etc.

To start off, I'm posting some chord diagrams and scale diagrams.

This is the 'E Major Scale'.

This is a 'E Minor Pentatonic' scale.

So, who's on board?

Last edited by DopeBoy; 06-09-2012 at 02:31 AM..
Old 06-09-2012, 01:38 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeBoy View Post
Exactly what kind of guitar are you playing, mister?

-----------------------

For those who prefer the traditional six strings, I guess the easiest Alizée song to learn is JEAM

C - D - G - E

Repeat forever.

The real guitarists use different chords, but if you throw a capo on the first fret it sounds identical, and is a helluva lot easier.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
Exactly what kind of guitar are you playing, mister?

-----------------------

For those who prefer the traditional six strings, I guess the easiest Alizée song to learn is JEAM

C - D - G - E

Repeat forever.

The real guitarists use different chords, but if you throw a capo on the first fret it sounds identical, and is a helluva lot easier.
I'm playing a black 50th anniversary Japanese Stratocaster with EMG's DG20 pre-wired pickguard, exactly. On a more serious note, I play rock; Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, Eric Clapton, etc. By tabs/sheet music, I didn't mean specifically Alizee songs, I saw a thread on that already. Alizee's music is welcome but I meant tabs for all sorts of music. I have pdf files, if I could figure out how to turn em into .jpgs or something they could be posted. Right now I'm working on the solo to 'Beat It' by Michael Jackson(solo played by Eddie Van Halen) as well as the solo to 'Crazy Train' by Ozzy Osbourne(solo played by Randy Rhoads) and 'The Zoo' by the Scorpions. I have TAB books for Ozzy and the Scorpions but I don't think it'd be legal to just scan 'em in. Here
is a link to a lesson on the 'Beat It' solo, I'm using that guys TAB.
Anyway, I'd like to talk about all types of guitar, not just Rock, not just Roll
Jazz, Blues, Metal, Rock, Country, Flamenco, Folk.... it's all good!

EDIT: lol, just noticed that chord chart isn't for guitar..... dunno wtf it's for but it's not right.... fixing.

Last edited by DopeBoy; 06-09-2012 at 02:31 AM..
Old 06-09-2012, 03:29 AM

texasguy is on a distinguished road

How long have you guys been playing? I'm a big fan of folk singer Leonard Cohen and the way he does this flamenco-style tremolo that I always wanted to know how to play, love the way it sounds. So I bought a nylon string and started learning the tremolo and some other finger style stuff about 8 months ago. I'm garbage with a regular guitar and a pick though. Anyway, here's what I'm talking about.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RLq7Aqd_H7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Looks like you got a ukelele chart there.

Anyways, on acoustic guitar, I like to use different tunings as well as one or more capos at the same time. For those who don't know, besides the standard capo which spans the whole neck, there are also capos that leave the low E string open and there is a capo that only frets 3 strings. Using these capos in combination with alternate tunings opens up a lot of room for creativity. David Wilcox comes to mind as someone who is well versed at doing this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yKvwsdSotf0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have found that working on my acoustic guitar playing has also benefited my electric guitar playing. I play guitar, bass and keyboards, and a little mandolin, bouzouki, zither and percussion. I have a number of instruments, but my favorites are my 1974 Stratocaster and 1965 Hofner 500/1 "Beatle Bass".
Old 06-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy View Post
How long have you guys been playing? I'm a big fan of folk singer Leonard Cohen and the way he does this flamenco-style tremolo that I always wanted to know how to play, love the way it sounds. So I bought a nylon string and started learning the tremolo and some other finger style stuff about 8 months ago. I'm garbage with a regular guitar and a pick though. Anyway, here's what I'm talking about.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RLq7Aqd_H7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Around 3 or 4 years, though I just started playing again after not touching a guitar for atleast a year. I'd say I'm about as good as I ever was(that's not saying much lol) and more knowledgeable. Cool video and very nice song.

For reference, this is the solo to Micheal Jackson's "Beat It". It's my FAVORITE!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6DoYf964TU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeBoy View Post
EDIT: lol, just noticed that chord chart isn't for guitar..... dunno wtf it's for but it's not right.... fixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Looks like you got a ukelele chart there.
That's what I thought too, but then I thought "What kind of instrument needs different strings to play each different chord?" Followed up immediately with "Unless those are the notes being played, in which case I've never seen that done before"

-----------

If anyone wants to teach me how to play Michael Chapdelaine's arrangement of More Than Words, I'd be more than appreciative.

(For those of you who haven't heard this eargasm)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CrDdt3fHTco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>