Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-24-2011, 09:44 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
In one of those interviews I believe that Alizée indicated facination with Edie and the way she lived, but also said that she was not like her.
Yes, I also saw one or two interviews where she says this, but, in at least one other interview, when she explains the concept of the woman that goes to NY and meets ES, she does say that this woman could very well be herself. Whatever that means.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
I don't mean to sound lazy, but could someone please post the interviews here? I'd like to see them, I don't think I've watched any interviews regarding only UEdS.
Here is one interview where she discusses the concept:

She is really beautiful here. She discusses how she came about to make an album about the life of ES and she explains the concept of Les collines. Also, watch near the end when the guy teases her about her Corsican temperament (7:30). So beautiful! Can you understand French, Azhiri? Otherwise this is somewhat useless for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
I've wondered for a while now what exactly sparked this interest in Edie Sedgwick, of all women to do a concept album about/involving. I'm guessing she just saw her in a movie and was struck by her somehow. Has she ever commented on that?
I believe the life and story of ES (and the Factory story) is quite well known in artistic circles. I don’t think it is so surprising that a singer would produce such a concept album. That Alizée did produce such a concept album based on electro music is quite surprising to me, though. I suppose everyone in this thread already knows about this, but just in case, the song Fifty-Sixty was about ES and the Factory. Discussions with the Institube “boss” (“patron”) let to an extension of the concept and the album UEDS.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmith View Post
The movie Factory Girl did come out in 2006. I wonder if Alizée watches American films.
Well, French people do watch plenty of translated American films and I suppose 2006 would have been about the time peolple were working on ideas for Psychédélices (Fifty-Sixty)... So...

Last edited by Corsaire; 01-24-2011 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Alizée's Thug Life

severianb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
Yes, I also saw one or two interviews where she says this, but, in at least one other interview, when she explains the concept of the woman that goes to NY and meets ES, she does say that this woman could very well be herself. Whatever that means.

Edit:

Here is one interview where she discusses the concept:

She is really beautiful here. She discusses how she came about to make an album about the life of ES and she explains the concept of Les collines. Also, watch near the end when the guy teases her about her Corsican temperament (7:30). So beautiful! Can you understand French, Azhiri? Otherwise this is somewhat useless for you. .
Nice. I'd never seen that video before. Thank you for finding it!

Lilly-Mullet & Do-Rag Appreciation Club Member #2 (member #1 Fevier)
Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 AM

Well, it took a while to find where I heard Alizée say that she could herself be that woman who goes to NY. It is here, at 0:30:

But she does say at the very beginning that the album is not autobiographical. I think that in this case she is referring to ES.

While searching for this I also found that Alizée thanks lyricist Jean Fauque (Fifty-Sixty) for introducing the ES/Factory theme. At 2:50, here:

(An ad might launch before the video)

So, maybe it is Jean Fauque who saw the movie Factory Girl...

And isn't Jérémy one of the authors of Fifty-Sixty as well? Hmm...

Edit:
Corrected English, I hope.

Last edited by Corsaire; 01-25-2011 at 07:47 AM..
Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
Well, it took a while to find where I heard Alizée say that she could herself be that woman who goes to NY. It is here, at 0:30:

But she does say at the very beginning that the album is not autobiographical. I think that in this case she is referring to ES.

While searching for this I also found that Alizée thanks lyricist Jean Fauque (Fifty-Sixty) for introducing the ES/Factory theme. At 2:50, here:

(An ad might launch before the video)

So, maybe it is Jean Fauque who saw the movie Factory Girl...

And isn't Jérémy one of the authors of Fifty-Sixty as well? Hmm...

Edit:
Corrected English, I hope.
Check this thread out http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5291. It gives more info on Jean Fauque, as well as Maripol. You can see they were the bridge between Alizée and the ES story. Here's a quote from the interview:

Quote:
Bashung, "La nuit je mens"
"Here's one written by Jean Fauque. He wrote "Fifty Sixty" for me, inspired by the New Yorkers like Sedgwick, or Maripol, her stylist sister who rubbed shoulders with Jean-Michel Basquiat, Blondie, and also Madonna at the time. I met Maripol through Mylène, and she gave me some bracelets that Madonna used to wear. I then met Jean Fauque. It wasn't until much later that I learned that they were brother and sister! They came to dinner one evening at my place, where Jean told us some of his anecdotes, and I understood that "Fifty Sixty" was about these people from New York City. I liked the theme and the lyrics, so we said, why not make an album around Edie Sedgwick, from the Warholian universe? I'm not at all like them, with the drugs and everything, but it's still fascinating, not for their way of living, but for the excitement of that group of people and of New York City."
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Check this thread out http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5291. It gives more info on Jean Fauque, as well as Maripol. You can see they were the bridge between Alizée and the ES story. Here's a quote from the interview:
There goes a detailed answer to your question, Azhiri.
Thanks lefty.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

Muchos gracias to the both of you for digging that up! <3

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 01-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Alizée's Thug Life

severianb is on a distinguished road

I alway get a kick out of reading that interview. Lilly is dropping names like bombs on Berlin. Our girl has met some pretty famous people. She's proud of it and proud of the success she has had, like anybody who grew up a regular person would be.

Lilly-Mullet & Do-Rag Appreciation Club Member #2 (member #1 Fevier)