Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 10-10-2021, 02:18 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road
Default A challenge to our foreign language speakers

I have a theory that English is more flexible than other languages when it comes to the use of single syllable words. (This pertains to songwriting.)

What I propose is a sort of writing contest. Write something-- in your native language-- but whatever you write, it must only consist of one-syllable words. Only one-syllable words.

I'm a native English speaker (American), so let me give you an example:

Quote:
Let me give it a try. Please bear with me, for this is the first time I've tried this.

So, what do I say now? For one thing, I will say that which comes to mind. And to that end, I will say what I want.

What do you think so far? Do you think that this is a tough thing to do? You might think its tough, but its not. All one has to do is try!

I have made up all that you see here; all of the words are off the top of my head. And I can do this all day long, if you like!

I can just go on and on! Would you like me to do that? Try as you might, you can't stop me! I might bore you to death, but I just don't care!!! This is too much fun!

Have I made my point yet? Or have I gone too far? You be the judge--- tell me what you think! I want to hear from you!

I think its time to stop!

I made that up earlier today. It is written entirely with one-syllable words.

The forum has a Finnish member, a Dutch member, as well as several Italian members (and of course, others as well.)

So write some dialog in Finnish, using only one-syllable words.
Write some dialog in Dutch, using only one-syllable words.
Write some dialog in Italian, using only one-syllable words.

Etc.

Post your examples in this thread.

Last edited by Mr Coucou; 10-10-2021 at 02:34 AM..
Old 10-10-2021, 08:36 AM

Elise is on a distinguished road

First attempt.

Quote:
Bon, si tu sais ou pas je parle deux langues plus ou moins. Ce que tu penses de ce texte, je ne sais pas car c’est ton choix.

Je ne marche plus seul dans la rue. Ce n’est pas sage car hier tout d’un coup, j’ai eu un coup de poing dans le nez. “Je ne veux pas me battre. Mais qu’est-ce que tu veux ? Mon sac à dos ? Tiens !” j’ai dit. Le gars a pris ses jambes à son cou et très vite je ne l’ai vu nulle part. Chez moi, une heure plus tard, je me suis dit “tout n’est pas si mal en fait, au moins je suis en vie.” C’est pas ma faute à moi ! Ne t’en fais pas, je me sens mieux (sauf que j’ai mal au dos).

Ça y est, je veux juste te dire prends soin de toi et prends soin de ta mère. Qu’est-ce qui se passe dans ta vie ? Rien de bon hein ? J’ai hâte de te lire, parle de ce que tu veux !

Ce texte peut être plus long bien sûr mais c’est mon choix de mots qui me viennent.
OK?
Old 10-11-2021, 02:34 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
First attempt.
OK?
Interesting... French is quite good with single-syllable words. I appreciate the demonstration, thank you!
Old 10-11-2021, 02:53 PM

Elise is on a distinguished road

You’re welcome! but I didn’t translate the story.

Quote:
Well, if you know or not I speak two languages more or less. What you think of this text, I don't know because it's your choice.

I don't walk alone in the street anymore. It’s not wise because yesterday I suddenly got a punch in the nose. "I don't want to fight. But what do you want? My backpack? Here!" I said. The guy took off and soon I didn't see him anywhere. At home, an hour later, I said to myself "it's not so bad, at least I'm alive." It's not my fault! Don't worry, I'm feeling better (except that my back hurts).

That's it, I just want to say take care of yourself and take care of your mother. What's going on in your life? Nothing good, right? I can't wait to read you, talk about what you want!

This text can be longer of course but it's my choice of words that come to me.
Note: Google translates “pris ses jambes à son cou” as “took his legs around his neck”. Ignore Google, it’s an expression that means to flee, to take to one’s heels.