Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

The record industry is run by multinational corporations, so as far as I'm concerned, all the things Alizée was concerned about are worldwide. I'm not a big fan of Courtney Love, but I think what she said about the record industry was spot on. The link was posted here by someone a while back, but here it is again.
http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/

It's from the year 2000, I believe, but still relevant. It's about 6 pages long and it covers many, many issues, but it really gives you some insight into what a typical artist faces, and in regards to Alizée, some issues may sound familiar.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:17 AM

Quantum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
The record industry is run by multinational corporations, so as far as I'm concerned, all the things Alizée was concerned about are worldwide.
It is a business, like any other. Big labels can do big things for their clients, small labels can do small things. Labels are also pretty good at sniffing out whether a performer's trajectory is up or down. Obviously Alizée can still do well in the industry singing under a lessor known label, but the money available for things like promotion becomes more scarce. Singing under a small label would require more effort and cleverness on her part. This would be a big but not impossible challenge, given she is still in transition.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:38 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
The record industry is run by multinational corporations, so as far as I'm concerned, all the things Alizée was concerned about are worldwide. I'm not a big fan of Courtney Love, but I think what she said about the record industry was spot on. The link was posted here by someone a while back, but here it is again.
http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/

It's from the year 2000, I believe, but still relevant. It's about 6 pages long and it covers many, many issues, but it really gives you some insight into what a typical artist faces, and in regards to Alizée, some issues may sound familiar.
Thanks very much. I hadn't seen that article before. She really does a great job of painting a very bleak picture for artists.

Whew! A lot of what she talks about probably happened (or is happening) to Alizée.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 AM
I *am* okey dokey

YesterdaysAirRace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar93 View Post
What does she means with "sharks"?
Sharks == "Unscrupulous business people" (In this context...I play poker and it means something different there )

In any case, I believe that interview was also from long ago, early in her career. I think that was the same interview where she talked about how US pop stars travel to Germany one day, Paris the next, NY the next; the US being "too big," and so forth--the idea being it was all too much. Managing a career focused on the francophone population of continental Europe was probably enough work for her, especially as a teenager.

I don't think she has a problem with the US itself. She carries a NYC subway ticket for good luck from a visit she had there. I'd say that means she likes the US just fine -- although we could start a nice argument whether NYC is really America
Old 11-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I think it would be nice to get a visit from Amina about now
Old 11-02-2008, 12:48 PM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road

I think Alizée or something in her life is pretty messed up right now. Her behaviour certainly is messed up by my standards. But what do I care, I didn't lose any money and I'm not a real hardcore fan anyway. I hope the old Alizée from the Gourmandises/MCE era is not completely gone (would be a shame since she still makes good music) but if she has become a spoiled brat who doesn't care and thinks her fans will put up with anything or that everything will always turn out allright for her in the end then I won't cling to the illusion that she is still a nice person. Time will tell.

Last edited by Ben; 11-02-2008 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Removed personal discussion
Old 11-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
I think Alizée or something in her life is pretty messed up right now.
As I've said, I'm quite certain of this. The good news is that such things never last forever. She'll recover and be back.

One good piece of information on whether Alizée has morphed into a "spoiled brat": A group of fans started a MySpace page designed to deliver a "WTF is going on?" message to her and her staff. You can find that page here:

http://www.myspace.com/onafaitquoipourmeriterca

Scroll down to the friend list. Look who the first friend is. I have also heard (but not verified) that she requested the friend connection, the site did not.

This is not the behavior of a spoiled brat. It's the behavior of someone who hears, understands, and accepts the criticism -- but for some reason or other, can't respond in detail.

Edit: Regarding obsession -- I understand that, it's Alizée's magic. Me, for example. There are a lot of artists and musicians whose work I like, but there are none others that I would even consider participating in fan activities for. I listen to their music, buy their albums, recommend them to friends, and that's it. My connection with Alizée isn't just fan-to-artist, it's also personal. I'm her friend. And the effect that's had on my life has been strong and positive. I'm writing today, and things are looking good at the moment for my potential to get published and be a successful author, because of my emotional connection with Alizée. That's a huge benefit.

But when these good feelings generate bad ones, when we have needy expectations from her that she can't possibly meet, and shouldn't be expected to meet even if she could, then it's crossed the line and become septic. That's when you need to take a deep breath and a hard look at yourself, and consider where you're going. If it's not acceptable to you that your feelings for her are all gift, from you to her, with no expectation of return, then you need to face that fact and think about putting some distance between you, for the sake of your own mental health.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716

Last edited by Deepwaters; 11-02-2008 at 01:52 PM..
Old 11-02-2008, 01:45 PM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

In the 1950's, Elivis was leaving the studio and went to his limo waiting for him at the back of the building. The record staff hired a new driver. As the driver pulled out he noticed a large group of fans at the end of the alley. He quickly went into reverse and left in a different direction. Elvis asked him why he did that. The driver said to avoid the fans. Elvis told him, 'Never do that again! Those fans are the reason I am where I am.'
Old 11-02-2008, 08:50 PM

Quantum is on a distinguished road

"Alizée's career is dead?" It is much too soon to make that declaration. "Spoiled brat who doesn't care about her fans?" Also implausible. Entertainers who do not care about their fans do not rise to stardom, and I think it fair to say Alizée is a star. As to her career prospects, my feeling is that she is in transition searching for her identity as a performer. Her identity had to change from its very youthful beginnings, but Alizée and her people don't seem to have an idea into 'what.' Also lest we also forget, performers are people. And who among us is perfect? Something in her life, be it professional or private (or maybe both) interceded and she decided to cancel her concert. We may never know the reason why. And perhaps we shouldn't. If the cancellation was for professional reasons (e.g., low ticket sales) what performer wants to air that to the world? On the other hand, if it was due to personal reasons, then those reasons must remain personal. It really is no one else's business. So while Alizée searches for the right mix as a performer we wait, frustrated perhaps, but certainly no more frustrated than she.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
Alizée never had to to do a thing for the stardom. She was picked by Mylène Farmer who did everything for her and told what she was supposed to do. That's the one and the only thing why she was ever known. That is the one and the only thing why she is still known.
So . . . Mylène could have picked anyone about that age and done exactly the same thing? Alizée was molded like clay, there was nothing to her at any time except Mylène's puppet mastery?

"Never had to do a thing" is not true. What is true is that she never had to run her own show, deal with crazy fans without a filtering layer of protection, likewise with record companies, likewise with organizing the sets or the band or the production. So she's having to learn all that now, and is making mistakes. What's also true is that in those days she didn't have a husband or family to balance off against her career.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716

Last edited by Ben; 11-02-2008 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Removed personal discussion