Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 05:36 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Great stuff! I see plenty of veal and lamb entrees. I love veal, and the last few years I have been taking more chances with lamb, which earlier in my life I did not like the taste, but when it's done properly it can be pretty fantastic.

I got a kick out of TRIPES A LA MODE CORSE i.e. "Guts in sauce". I think I would have to have a few stiff drinks before ordering this.

Speaking of drinks, you mentioned local liquor. Was it like a whisky, or an after meal liqueur?

The wines they serve are mainly French wines, or do they have their own vineyards?

Sorry for so many questions!
Old 02-24-2018, 07:01 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

That;s a good question about the vineyards. I'm sure there are. I have pictures from the different markets I visited that I remember sold Corsican wines. I will post them tomorrow.

I received an answer to the question from Jean Baptiste about the drank he gave me. It was Myrthe, keep in mind it has different spellings in different areas and this is what Wikipedia says about it....

Mirto (licòre/-i de murta in Sardinian, licòr di mortula in Corsican) is a popular liqueur in the islands of Sardinia, Corsica and Capraia.[1]

"It is obtained from the myrtle plant through the alcoholic maceration of the berries or a compound of berries and leaves. Myrtle grows freely in Sardinia, where the liqueur was consumed as part of a local niche market, in two varieties: the one with black berries and the other one with the white ones; legend has it that, long ago, Sardinian bandits introduced this particular usage of the plant to the nearby island of Corsica, where the liqueur has also been considered a traditional drink since then."

I will tell you about another Alizée related restaurant tomorrow.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 02-24-2018 at 07:05 PM..
Old 02-25-2018, 10:52 AM

kulli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
The wines they serve are mainly French wines, or do they have their own vineyards?
https://www.corsica.co.uk/blog/disco...corsican-wines
Old 02-25-2018, 11:37 AM

I did have some pictures and it turns out I took a couple of close ups of wines that are made right in the Ajaccio area. One is 'Domaine Comte (Count) Peraldi, which dates back to the 17th century and another is 'Clos D'Alzeto' which is about 8 miles north.

Attachment 1886

Attachment 1888

Attachment 1889

Attachment 1890

ajaccio.vineyard.jpg

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 12-30-2019 at 02:52 AM..
Old 02-25-2018, 08:14 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
One of the reviewers at Chez Paulo took a picture of their pizza. Every part of the world seems to have their own take on pizza. This one... I don't know... it is not very visually appealing. Looks like there is ham on it. At first I thought the black ovals were olives, but they are too large for that. Maybe figs? The cheese is interesting, as it looks like drops.

The reviewer gave it a 5/5, so it must have been delicious!

Looks like a very traditional Italian pizza. Since Corsica takes a lot from Italian culture (such as the liqueur Scruffy mentioned above) I'll assume that it is traditional Corsican pizza.

In south eastern France, they have signs all over the place that advertise "Pizza feu de bois" (Pizza smoked with wood) referencing a traditional pizza oven with burning wood providing the heat. This looks like it could have come from the same type of oven.

Last edited by Rev; 02-25-2018 at 08:20 PM..
Old 02-26-2018, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I did have some pictures and it turns out I took a couple of close ups of wines that are made right in the Ajaccio area. One is 'Domaine Comte (Count) Peraldi, which dates back to the 17th century and another is 'Clos D'Alzeto' which is about 8 miles north.
I'm not a big wine drinker, but I do open maybe a bottle or two of red wine a month. I do like bordeaux wine very much. I did some searches of Domaine Comte Peraldi wines and their availability in the U.S. Wine.com does list their wines, but they are all currently unavailable. It looks like it will be a challenge to try a Corsica wine... unless... I go visit Corsica (light bulb moment) !

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Looks like a very traditional Italian pizza. Since Corsica takes a lot from Italian culture (such as the liqueur Scruffy mentioned above) I'll assume that it is traditional Corsican pizza.
I'm definitely not knocking it. I just find the construction of it interesting. Mozzarella cheese tends to spread out evenly from it's original shape when heated. The cheese in this pizza melted into round shapes, so it's like the Mozz was crumbled and not shredded like you see on American pizza.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 02-26-2018 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 02-26-2018, 05:48 PM

There's one other restaurant in Ajaccio that is owned by a cousin of someone in Alizee's family that is called the Forum. Years ago I would not have revealed this, but now I doubt if anyone is going to go flocking to Ajaccio just to see this restaurant.

It's one of several restaurants right at the harbor. I ate there a couple of time during this visit which was the occasion of the autograph session.

On my first visit there, I was served by a very pretty, very pleasant young girl. She spoke English well enough that I could tell her where I was from and I was a fan of Alizee and said I heard the restaurant belonged to a relative of the family and she confirmed that (but she wasn't a relative). With her too I was treated very well and with a beautiful smile and she answered all my questions.

On my last night there, I wanted to try some of the local seafood and I ordered a deep fried plate of sea food. I didn't realize my dinner would be staring back at me and I thought at the time, is this something I should be eating when I'm flying out the next day and despite the fact it was an enjoyable meal, my stomach wasn't used to that and it did cause me some problems but I didn't lose it if you know what I mean.

Attachment 1895

Attachment 1896

DSCF5142.jpg

Ajaccio waitress.jpg

Attachment 1899

Edit:

a few more pictures...

Attachment 1900

Attachment 1901

Attachment 1902

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 12-10-2019 at 04:27 PM..
Old 02-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Holy cow! I wasn't ready for that last picture. I am assuming that was your meal that you speak of? It looks like they casted a net out in the sea outside the restaurant window and fried up what they came back with.

I'm sure it was delicious, but I didn't expect to see a plate full like that!

Oh, and interesting sauces. One looks like regular yellow mustard. I am not sure what the others are, but one of them looks a lot like mayo. Do you remember?
Old 02-26-2018, 08:56 PM

Well the menu said small fish, but I was thinking sardine size at the smallest. I wasn't expecting minnows. Still with the different sauces it was a good meal and I did put a pretty good dent in it. I don't remember what type of sauces, but I remember making good use of them.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I wasn't expecting minnows.
I refrained from using the word "bait"!