Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 10-09-2007, 01:51 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyamigo View Post
my guess as to why MJ won out over 50/60 would be because while 50/60 was a good song, it was not a radical departure from the type of songs alizée did in the past. also, it might have been a bit too cutesy and not mature enough for people looking towards the new "grown up" alizée. for someone who is making a comeback after 3 1/2 years trying to reinvent her self w/o her former mentor(s), they probably decided that they need a song that's totally unlike what she's done in the past. a bit of shock factor to get people talking about it is good for publicity, too.

i even thought maybe they didn't have time to finish up 50/60 to make it presentable to the public. we know how the song started off good but took a dive towards the end. to me, the 2nd half of the song was very rough and almost unlistenable. perhaps they just couldn't get it together to complete the song for september and maybe they decided to take their time on it in time for the album and release a "short and to the point" song that was pretty much completed.
I don't think I'd characterize the second half of 50/60 that way, but what I've heard does sound rough. Anyway, it is interesting how they got rid of the music at the beginning of MJ and shortened the middle. I actually like the longer version better except that I wish they'd used a different instrument instead of that weird midi sounding electronica at the begining. I kind of like the weird sounds they used at the beginning for the short version, too, though. It seems like they just couldn't decide what they thought people were going to like and made an already normal length song rather short. This must be very difficult for them (and for us). It's like when a director has to cut a movie down to size and decide what must go. It reminds me of the issues that Ridley Scott had to go through when making Legend, which was forever slighted by budget, the set burning down, second-guessing the music, and just bad cuts in the script.

Fifty/Sixty has a similar movement and electronic sounds as MJ. It seems like they put a particular effect on her voice too. I hope in other songs they have what sounds like a more natural sound of her voice, or a recording style that accentuates the beauty of her voice anyway, like in most older recordings. 50/60 in particular seems to put an effect on her voice (obviously in the second half, but even in the first). That may be part of what makes it sound rough, though the other I think is just file compression. I hope that's what made the mix of sounds in the second part (with the yells) slightly muddy or that they fixed that anyway. I was pleased with some of the nuances in the final version of MJ. Hopefully I'll have a similar experience with 50/60.

Merci Fanny
Old 10-09-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
Who said there aren't going to be any more singles from Psychédélices? They don't release all of the singles at the same time or necessarily before the album. I was expecting 3 or 4 singles from the album eventually. Who knows, Fifty Sixty may end up as a single after all.
Oh, yes, well, I meant before the album comes out. As much as I would like to get a hold of it, in a more ideal world, they would have drawn out the marketing of it more. Maybe I'm wrong?

How many months before Gourmandises came out after ML? 4,5,6? I know, that's a totally different situation. One must just ask what is wrong with a world who's axis is not closer to Corse, if you know what I mean.

Merci Fanny
Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
How many months before Gourmandises came out after ML? 4,5,6? I know, that's a totally different situation. One must just ask what is wrong with a world who's axis is not closer to Corse, if you know what I mean.
Four and a half months between the release of Moi... Lolita and the Gourmandises album, though the situation was somewhat different, in that the Gourmandises album had not yet been fully recorded when Moi... Lolita came out (I'd have to check, but I'm not sure anything else had been recorded at all, actually).

They released L'Alizé the week after the album came out, and popped out 5 and 9 months after that. Dates were as follows:

Moi... Lolita single: July 4 2000
Gourmandises album: November 21 2000
L'Alizé single: November 28 2000
Parler tout bas single: April 18th 2001
Gourmandises single: August 14 2001

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see a second single releasing around the same time as the album, by way of promotion.

(Note: Those are the dates the discs released in stores, all the singles had air play prior to those times. For example, Moi... Lolita hit the radio waves May 18th 2000, and the video came out July 19th, only 2 weeks after the disc)

Last edited by Cooney; 10-09-2007 at 02:22 AM..
Old 10-09-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
Four and a half months between the release of Moi... Lolita and the Gourmandises album, though the situation was somewhat different, in that the Gourmandises album had not yet been fully recorded when Moi... Lolita came out (I'd have to check, but I'm not sure anything else had been recorded at all, actually).

They released L'Alizé the week after the album came out, and popped out 5 and 9 months after that. Dates were as follows:

Moi... Lolita single: July 4 2000
Gourmandises album: November 21 2000
L'Alizé single: November 28 2000
Parler tout bas single: April 18th 2001
Gourmandises single: August 14 2001

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see a second single releasing around the same time as the album, by way of promotion.

(Note: Those are the dates the discs released in stores, all the singles had air play prior to those times. For example, Moi... Lolita hit the radio waves May 18th 2000, and the video came out July 19th, only 2 weeks after the disc)
Thanks that was helpful. I actually didn't even know that ML hit air 18 May. One can say that is the real start date, just as 27 Sept is for ML/Psychédélices.
As was said it does seem a little bit pointless to release a song as a single after the album has come around, unless you really think that people may just buy the single and not shell out for the album (a little incomprehensible for us). However, releasing a single CD with remixes and in particular a video is a whole other matter. In my opinion, video of Alizée has been at least as important as video of any other artist in the past, for obvious reason.

Merci Fanny
Old 10-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Fidèle Toujours

No prob :-) While I might be off on one or two dates, here's a fairly accurate release schedule of all her things, if you're interested. Note that "disc" refers to the proper disc in stores, it does not include promos. For example, the disc for Mademoiselle Juliette hasn't come out yet (and we don't know if it will), but there are already 5 promo's for it. They don't count!

Moi... Lolita
Radio: May 18th 2000
Disc: July 4th 2000
Video: July 19th 2000

Gourmandises Album
Disc: November 21st 2000

L'Alizé
Radio: October 19th 2000
Disc: November 28th 2000
Video: December 6th 2000

Parler tout bas
Radio: March 8th 2001
Disc: April 18th 2001
Video: April 25th 2001

Gourmandises single
Radio: June 28th 2001
Video: July 25th 2001
Disc: August 14th 2001

J'en Ai Marre !
Radio: January 8th 2003
Video: February 19th 2003
Disc: February 25th 2003

Mes Courants Electriques
Disc: March 18th 2003

J'ai Pas Vingt Ans
Radio: April 28th 2003
Video: May 21st 2003
Disc: June 3rd 2003

A Contre-Courant
Radio: around August 26th 2003
Video: around October 4th 2003
Disc: October 7th 2003

Amelie m'a dit
Radio: August 26th 2004

En Concert
Disc: October 18th 2004
DVD: October 18th 2004

Mademoiselle Juliette
Radio: September 27th 2007
Download: September 30th 2007
Video: October ?? 2007

Psychédélices
Disc: November 26th 2007
Old 10-09-2007, 05:58 AM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Cool, thanks for the breakdown Cooney. That's a useful reference. I'll be real disapointed if there isn't an MJ disc. So what are the 5 MJ promos you speak of?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:28 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Thanks that was helpful. I actually didn't even know that ML hit air 18 May. One can say that is the real start date, just as 27 Sept is for ML/Psychédélices.
As was said it does seem a little bit pointless to release a song as a single after the album has come around, unless you really think that people may just buy the single and not shell out for the album (a little incomprehensible for us). However, releasing a single CD with remixes and in particular a video is a whole other matter. In my opinion, video of Alizée has been at least as important as video of any other artist in the past, for obvious reason.
Cooney: Wow, I didn't realize there was a 2 month gap between ML hitting the airwaves and the video coming out! That seems like a while.

Roman: I'm not sure what you're getting at, but unless the way singles/albums work has really changed recently, then your statement seems very odd. If you think back to any album at all that's been released, in almost all cases, most (or all) of the singles are released after the album is put out for sale. I remember Def Leppard's Hysteria, where they ended up putting like 7 singles out because it was so popular...

Of course, with the advent of iTunes and electronic purchase and etc., some things really have changed a lot recently

I mean, are you talking about singles for individual sale as opposed to singles for airplay?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Fidèle Toujours

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
So what are the 5 MJ promos you speak of?
There are 5 promo monotitre discs. They're matching, except each is a different color: Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Pink. They don't have writing on them - they're plain discs of the color in question, with a blank colored jacket of the same color. They come with a 69cm x 4cm roll-out mini-banner thing advertising the single and the album.

Hit the nidalizee discography for a picture - I've bought all 5, but they are in the mail, and haven't arrived yet :-)
Old 10-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
There are 5 promo monotitre discs. They're matching, except each is a different color: Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Pink. They don't have writing on them - they're plain discs of the color in question, with a blank colored jacket of the same color. They come with a 69cm x 4cm roll-out mini-banner thing advertising the single and the album.

Hit the nidalizee discography for a picture - I've bought all 5, but they are in the mail, and haven't arrived yet :-)
Awesome. Who was the intedended recipient of these promos?... radio stations, perhaps?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:42 PM

Calisto is on a distinguished road

That's a pretty cool little banner.