Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Alizée Fan Since Day 1

Señor Villa is on a distinguished road
Default Alizée 5 Reviews

I got my copy yesterday of the new album and I truly enjoyed it. The album is a different direction from her previous works.

1. A Cause DeL'Automne: 10/10 What is not to like. Put your sunglasses and jump off buildings like James Bond.
2. 10 Ans: 9/10 Get your dancing shoes this is French Rockabilly.
3. Je Veux Bien: 9/10 A song with attitude this could be a soundtrack song for a movie.
4. Mon Chevalier: 8/10 I picture running through a field of flowers with this song.
5. Le Dernier Souffle: 10/10 This is an anthem like Lillytown.
6. Boxing Club: 9/10 A feel good song you will be shaking to this. A knock-out track.
7. Jeune Fille: 6/10 Alizée missed on this song not that good.
8. La Guerre en Dentelles: 5/10 Boring Song
9. Si Tu Es Un Homme: 7/10 Promising but could have been better.
10. Happy End: 10/10 Love the beat and song to play after a long day at work
11. Dans Mon Sac: 10/10 A song to listen to with a glass of wine thinking what life will bring to you.

Overall a great album, Alizée has a more mature sound and themes is to get the fans who have followed her since the beginning and have grown themselves. The younger generation will not be into the album.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

This is my first review of Alizée’s new album “5”. This is a review of the music only, since I haven’t had enough time to really explore the lyrics.

1. A Cause De L'Automne: 8/10 A good, solid song to start off the album.
2. 10 Ans: 6/10 I find nothing wrong with this song, but it has less appeal to my personal tastes.

3. Je Veux Bien: 10/10 This song is solid and has a strong appeal to my tastes. I think it’s a good candidate for a second single.

4. Mon Chevalier: 10/10 I really like Alizée’s voice with the acoustic guitar. A nice melody, nicely arranged with just the right additional instrumentation.

5. Le Dernier Souffle: 7/10 Not much comment on this one, a good album song, better than just an album filler song.

6. Boxing Club: 7/10 This song is musically very predictable for me, but it is still a positive addition to the album.

7. Jeune Fille: 7/10 I find this song has a nice melody and is quite pleasing to my taste.

8. La Guerre en Dentelles: 7/10 I really like the chord changes and acoustic guitar work in this song. The melody could have been stronger, but a decent song nonetheless.

9. Si Tu Es Un Homme: 7/10 The verses are a tad weak but the chorus has a nice melody.

10. Happy End: 10/10 This song is another candidate for a second single. It’s currently my favorite song on the album and it seems permanently stuck in my mind. It’s so damn catchy!

11. Dans Mon Sac: 10/10 This song demonstrates how there can be beauty in simplicity, especially when sung and performed well.

I don’t know if I’m prepared to say it’s Alizée’s best to date, but it very well might be. I need a little more time with it before I will say that. I listened to it on my studio monitors, boom box, headphones and car stereo. The sound is great in all cases; it’s punchy and warm where it should be, warm and delicate where it should be. The musical performances are done very well and the arrangements are very good as well. Production values throughout seem to be high. The arrangements and instrumentation mix well with Alizée’s vocal timbre, which hasn’t been the case since the MF/LB era. Psyche was a bit cold in places, and UEDS did not compliment her voice the way this album does. Alizée’s vocal performances are solid for her style of singing, and I can’t help but think she has been working on that in the past year. He recent live performances have been stronger as well. I also think the songs were recorded in the appropriate key to utilize the best part of Alizée's vocal range. I am so happy that they didn't over-process her voice or Autotune the hell out of it. There are places where she's a bit off, sometimes a tad flat. But these issues are very minor and just go to prove that this is Alizée singing without the aid of studio tricks. I much prefer it that way because it is real and it is honest.

At first listen, I wasn’t too sure about the “rapid fire” delivery of the lyrics on some songs. Of course that is the way the songs are written. But after a few more listens I grew accustomed to it and now I see it as a non-issue. In conclusion, I feel this is overall a great album. And as I said before, it might just be her best to date. I guess time will tell.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.

I'm looking foward to the feel good songs more than anything right now but I'm sure I will appreciate the others depending on what mood I'm in.

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur
Old 03-25-2013, 04:14 AM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Here's my two cents:

1. A Cause De L'Automne: 8/10 I really like this song. May be one of the best songs in the album (Which may be the reason why it's the first and only song that they've released so far as a single). However, it feels like a toy that you got from Christmas when you're a kid. You liked it a lot, played with it a lot. But, now it's your birthday and you just received tons of toys to play with. So, you kind of don't want to play with it at this time. May be after I get tired of my "new toys," I'd get back and play with it again.

2. 10 Ans: 9/10 I didn't like it that much at first but now I find myself listening to it more and more. Usually, it takes me a couple of times listening to a song before I start to like it.

3. Je Veux Bien: 9/10 This is another song that should be released as a single, aside from ACDLA. It sounds like it has a mainstream appeal to me.

4. Mon Chevalier: 8/10 This song highlights Alizée’s voice. I don't like the melody that much but I still like listening to her voice on this song.

5. Le Dernier Souffle: 8/10 A good addition the album. A good transition from Mon Chevalier to Boxing club.

6. Boxing Club: 9/10 Just like 10 Ans, I didn't like it that much at first but it has started to grow on me. I think this one can be released as a single as well.

7. Jeune Fille: 8/10 Again, another decent song and a good transition song. The "calm before the storm" if you will or the lull before the "climax" in a movie.

8. La Guerre en Dentelles: 8/10 May be my least favorite song so far. It's a decent song and wouldn't call it a filler. May be it the placement of this song. Perhaps because it's played right after Jeune Fille and it's so close to "Happy End" that's why I couldn't wait to get this song over with.

9. Si Tu Es Un Homme: 8/10 I'm starting to like this one as well. It's like it's starting to build up your anticipation again after a couple of "slow songs." Give it a couple more plays and I might give it a 9 or even a 10.

10. Happy End: 10/10 I LOVE THIS SONG! This is what makes Alizee's voice so unique! Whenever I listen to it, I know only Alizee could sound this beautiful! Unlike her other songs, it only took me once to like this song - and that was just the teaser - not even the entire song. This was the song that I was anticipating the most. Needless to say, this is my FAVORITE SONG of the album. I think it's the BEST SONG of the album and should have been released as a single either immediately after or even before ACDLA! This is one of the songs that Alizee should be singing to promote her album. This is also the song that they should be playing on the tv or radio shows when Alizee's a guest. I can't get this song out of my mind as well!

11. Dans Mon Sac: 9/10 This song highlights Alizee's voice, although not as much as "Il Ya" did. This is the kind of song you'd like to listen to after a long day at work. So relaxing. You just want to close your eyes and appreciate the beauty of Alizee's voice. The perfect song to finish the album.

In conclusion: If you consider the TOTALITY of the album, I think it's one of the best, if not the best album of Alizee. It's very different from her other albums. I didn't find any similarity from her previous albums - except for the "uniqueness" of Alizee's voice. I'm sure I'm going to like her other songs more as I listen to them more often and once I listen to them in my home entertainment system, instead of my laptop, (cheap) headphone or even car stereo.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Hypebeast

Plaz is on a distinguished road

Dans Mon Sac shits on the entire rest of the album. The other songs really weren't my cup of tea. I like a few of them, but the final track sticks out the most to me.

---------------------------------------------------

Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 PM

DannyMac524 is on a distinguished road

I got mine today, and just finished my first listen through all the songs. I like the album. All the songs are good. It was worth the wait. It sounds like a new direction for her. Bravo Alizée bien fait!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:33 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

So far:

Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 AM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

La Guerre en Dentelles is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I really like the rhyming for some reason. I just wish there were some translations for all the songs, it factors in with how much I like a song.

I'm not going to write out my full review yet but I will note a couple things.

La Dernier Soufle is probably my least favorite on the album. It's a decent song, but she's slightly off-key and it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. The music also sounds off to me, like there are some places where it wasn't mixed correctly. It was probably intentional, but I just don't like the way it sounds.

10 Ans is growing on me. Not really a fan of rockabilly but her vocals are so good, it's making me love the song. Especially on the chorus. It's some of her best singing on the album, imo. I also like it because it's a bit more melodic than some of the other songs on the album. Like I said before, I really hate the whole talking-singing thing.

Si Tu Es Un Homme sounds really cool to me. I imagine her doing a little jig to it. The vocals are really underwhelming, though, and she is off-key again.

I will refine this later and add to it tomorrow. I am on pain pills atm, so I probably don't sound too coherent.

Last edited by Euphoria; 03-26-2013 at 01:20 AM..
Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 AM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
I will refine this later and add to it tomorrow. I am on pain pills atm, so I probably don't sound too coherent.
You actually sound a lot more coherent when you're in "happy pills"

SOOORRYYY!!! JUST KIDDING!!! Not trying to pick a fight with you! I just couldn't help it!