Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News

Old 10-16-2014, 11:33 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

It's obvious why she did the song - it's for the kids. In her mind, the kids were as much a part of the song as her (not all performers would think that way). The show probably proposed the song to her, and when she heard the concept she said yes. I think that the song not being a perfect fit for her voice did not even dawn on her at the time (although maybe it should have). Also, as said above, any exposure is good exposure.

Watch the song again, this time with the awareness that her consciousness is very much with the kids, and let me know if the performance looks different to you.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:55 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Well I've mentioned before that I think it's hard for a singer to be able to listen to their own voice when they're singing a song like this and tell how good it sounds and getting back to that management subject, I think she doesn't have anyone around her either in an official or unofficial capacity who will tell her that her voice isn't a good fit for a particular song.

Never the less, I didn't think her voice sounded that bad in this song and I don't think it was a mistake for her to sing it.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:10 AM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised at the virility of criticism for this appearance. I didn't see it as all that horrible. Like Scruffydog, I thought Alizee was beautiful. To be honest, I am charmed by her French accent when she does English. The first time I saw the video, I was surprised at her choice of clothes, but thought it appropriate for the setting with all those kids. One of the other entertainers also wore a pair of torn jeans. I didn't think her voice was great, but I didn't think it was all that bad either. I am more disturbed by the criticism of the TV show for billing her than I am by the criticism of Alizee herself. I don't want producers to get the idea that booking Alizee will get them in hot water.

If you compare Alizee's voice in the three videos below, you can see a significant slippage in the strength and depth of her voice from when she was 15 to this latest appearance. I first noticed a change in her voice during her tour in Mexico. At that time her voice was atrocious, and I wondered if she had the flu or if it was just a lousy sound system. Even her movements seemed affected. I wondered if she had been drinking before she came out on stage. It was during this Mexican tour that Alizee had a serious fallout with her husband and the band he hired to accompany her so she wasn't in a good emotional state, and possibly hadn't slept well the night before. That tour was extremely stressful for her. The guy that played the Mad Hatter on stage with Alizee was extremely annoying.

Last edited by Shepherd; 10-17-2014 at 02:43 AM..
Old 10-17-2014, 01:16 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

I agree. I said the song was not a perfect fit. I was not implying that it was a bad performance, just that another song would have fit her better.

And yes, Englishzée is always good. Her accent is great.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
I'm surprised at the virility of criticism for this appearance. I too thought she was beautiful. To be honest, I am charmed by her French accent when she does English. The first time I saw the video, I was surprised at her choice of clothes, but thought it appropriate for the setting with all those kids. I didn't think her voice was great, but I didn't think it was terrible either. I am more disturbed by the criticism of the TV show for billing her than I am by the criticism of Alizee herself. I don't want producers to get the idea that booking Alizee is a bad idea.
Very well said!

Edit:

I may be way off base, but I think this will be one of her most remembered songs. It is a huge part of the Alizée story!

When you add in how she has helped out charities in Ajaccio, when you add in her incredible devotion to home and family, it adds so much to the song, to be surrounded by these kids.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 10-17-2014 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 10-17-2014, 05:24 AM

Lucas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
I first noticed a change in her voice during her tour in Mexico. At that time her voice was atrocious, and I wondered if she had the flu or if it was just a lousy sound system. Even her movements seemed affected. I wondered if she had been drinking before she came out on stage. It was during this Mexican tour that Alizee had a serious fallout with her husband and the band he hired to accompany her so she wasn't in a good emotional state, and possibly hadn't slept well the night before. That tour was extremely stressful for her. The guy that played the Mad Hatter on stage with Alizee was extremely annoying.
Well... hard to compare her voice from Psyché Tour with the other events/show, when we have no good quality video/audio as from TV perfomances or DVDs. I found many videos from mexican Psyché Tour, where her voice was ok. I must agree by some songs it wasn't so great, but still nothing horrible.

Did you ever heard other records of her concerts from 2003/2004, except the dvd/cd? In most of the records she sounds horrible - most like stressed. But cause before concerts, most time she sang on playback, for me it's ok.

On the world, there is no singer who would be able to sing each song perfectly. That's why there are so many styles and types of songs. Everyone has its own. Not everyone was born as English speaking person, so then to make a "sensation", that FRENCH girl sang bad ENGLISH song is weird for me. Most when 90% of french public can't speak English.

Last edited by Lucas; 10-17-2014 at 05:27 AM..
Old 10-17-2014, 03:13 PM

Well the video has been blocked. Anyone have a download link?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

For my part, I want it to be understood that I didn't think this performance was horrible. I just don't think it is as good as it could or should be. As far as Alizée's English singing, I have always adored her accent. It always bothers me when people criticize her for singing in English.

As far as her En Concert DVD, one should know that many concerts like this are recorded in the concert hall when there is no audience present. As many takes as are needed will be done to get a good one for each song. The performer can sit or stand in one place which helps to do a better vocal performance. Often times they will even get some of their closeup shots at this time. At the real concert with the audience present, they will record everything again. That's when they will get a lot of the audience footage and sounds, along with the shots. When they make the final video for the DVD, they lay whatever audio tracks work best on top of the video to provide the best sound and footage. In some cases they may use the live recording, and in some cases they will fly in the audio recorded earlier. Sometimes they will even sweeten up the audio in a studio afterward by overdubbing something. Anyway, this is why you will sometimes find a recording of another live concert that doesn't sound as good as the official DVD. How En Concert was recorded, I can't say for sure. But it wouldn't surprise me if that's how it was done. If I remember right, Ben had confirmed this long ago on this site. There are certain songs on the DVD though that I believe came from the live performance.

Finally, I would point out that the Lillytown video posted above sounds like it has had the audio from the album laid on top of it.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:00 AM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

I've followed this thread and just for the record I don't believe anyone has said anything bad, no one needs to explain themselves.. we all love her.

Anyway this one's for our girl.

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur
Old 10-18-2014, 12:38 AM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately they took Alizee's version of the cups song off the Internet. I wanted to show a comparison of Alizee's vs Anna Kendrick's version. Anna made the cups version famous. If you compare the Anna's with Alizee's, I think it is evident that Alizee's version is not only as good as Anna's but a little bit better. Anna's voice is not that great, and no one is complaining, so what's the deal with all the dirt being thrown at Alizee? On Anna's video, she doesn't start singing until 1:27, so you might want to skip ahead a bit.

I found another copy of Alizee's version on Alizee Hungry.

http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=...type=2&theater

Last edited by Shepherd; 10-18-2014 at 06:43 PM..