Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 04-24-2020, 10:37 AM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Alizee is YouTube's best kept secret. There are well over 3000 fan made videos of Alizee in addition to the large number of videos of performances, interviews, biographies, etc. Unless you are specifically looking for her, most people will never know who she is, especially in the US.
Few years ago Justin Bieber wrote some tweets about a new song that he liked. Suddenly Carly Rae Jepsen, who I think was rather unknown outside of Canada, became extremely famous and now her song Call me maybe has more than one billion views on YouTube.

I wonder what would happen if a famous singer or influencer made people know about Alizée. How would people react?
If I recall correctly, CleverCowboy found out about her thanks to World of Warcraft. What if the same thing happened now with Fortnite (which has millions and millions of players)?
Unlike Carly Rae Jepsen, Alizée has already a large number of videos, performances, interviews and fanpages of all kinds. Also, there is this forum where people would find everything about her.
And last but not least, Alizée is and has always been talented.
It won't be the first time that people find out about something (extremely) good many years later.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:56 AM

Davedel is on a distinguished road

The first time I saw Alizee was back in February, 2005. I was downloading various cracks from the Newsgroups where I stumbled upon an ABBA tribute video from the "Brit Awards 1999." I liked the video so much that I decided to download other various music videos from the same newsgroup. Within the new batch of videos that I downloaded was 2 videos from Alizee: JAM and Ella, Elle L'a. I watched both videos and it took a few times but then I was hooked on Alizee for a few years.

By the time August of 2007 came rolling around I had joined this fan website (under a different name) and met lots of other fans. In that same month I helped set up and organize the Alizee Fan Birthday Party (along with CFHollister and Cooney) at the French restaurant in Steilacoom, Wa. I remember that we had about 7 or 8 Alizee fans from around country attend. Great party... games, prizes, Corsican type food, Alizee music videos (among others) and of course, the 2003 En Concert DVD projected sharp and clear on a 12-foot screen. It was great! I still have the birthday banner and various souvenirs from that day. It's one of those, "You've got to be there moments." Thanks to Chef Bertrand (real French Chef from Paris) for donating his restaurant that night and preparing all the great food for free.

Last edited by Davedel; 04-27-2020 at 09:08 AM..
Old 04-29-2020, 02:58 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Yeah it's incredible how the video just showed up. I so easily could've just scrolled past it and never heard of her again, luckily the thumbnail for the video and title were eye-catching enough to grab my attention. It was posted on r/videos, and you can see the exact same JEAM video gets reposted on the subreddit once every 1-2 years and usually gets a lot of traction, so if people keep doing that it shouldn't be too hard to keep bringing in new fans, even if it's only a small amount.
It's also a bit strange being relatively young (17) knowing there are people here who were fans of her stuff before I was even born. Living in Australia as well I sometimes wonder if I know anyone else who's familiar with Alizee, it's an odd thing to think about.
So I guess as a new fan who can say the appeal is out-of-this-world for some even in 2020, I can't see this fandom truly going away anytime soon.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:48 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davedel View Post
........... In that same month I helped set up and organize the Alizee Fan Birthday Party (along with CFHollister and Cooney) at the French restaurant in Steilacoom, Wa. I remember that we had about 7 or 8 Alizee fans from around country attend. Great party... games, prizes, Corsican type food, Alizee music videos (among others) and of course, the 2003 En Concert DVD projected sharp and clear on a 12-foot screen. It was great! I still have the birthday banner and various souvenirs from that day. It's one of those, "You've got to be there moments." Thanks to Chef Bertrand (real French Chef from Paris) for donating his restaurant that night and preparing all the great food for free.
I've seen those pictures. I think they are still here on this site or maybe I have them on my computer because I've seen them not that long ago. A lot of people here used to post their pictures on Instagram, but then they became no longer a free site and all those great pictures got taken down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
...............It's also a bit strange being relatively young (17) knowing there are people here who were fans of her stuff before I was even born. Living in Australia as well I sometimes wonder if I know anyone else who's familiar with Alizee, ............
We haven't had many members here, at least that I know of from down under. There was a young member several years ago that if I remember correctly, didn't have great internet access, so I sent him several dvds of Alizee videos that I put together.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I've seen those pictures. I think they are still here on this site or maybe I have them on my computer because I've seen them not that long ago. A lot of people here used to post their pictures on Instagram, but then they became no longer a free site and all those great pictures got taken down.

We haven't had many members here, at least that I know of from down under. There was a young member several years ago that if I remember correctly, didn't have great internet access, so I sent him several dvds of Alizee videos that I put together.
Yeah our internet isn't great down here, most people have access but it's often quite slow. That's great that you were able to send him those DVDs, must've made his day when they came in the mail! I'm all sorted though so don't worry about sending anymore
Old 04-29-2020, 06:51 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah it's incredible how the video just showed up. I so easily could've just scrolled past it and never heard of her again, luckily the thumbnail for the video and title were eye-catching enough to grab my attention. It was posted on r/videos, and you can see the exact same JEAM video gets reposted on the subreddit once every 1-2 years and usually gets a lot of traction, so if people keep doing that it shouldn't be too hard to keep bringing in new fans, even if it's only a small amount.
It's also a bit strange being relatively young (17) knowing there are people here who were fans of her stuff before I was even born. Living in Australia as well I sometimes wonder if I know anyone else who's familiar with Alizee, it's an odd thing to think about.
So I guess as a new fan who can say the appeal is out-of-this-world for some even in 2020, I can't see this fandom truly going away anytime soon.
I did a search on members here and found six other members who are from Australia, but the last visit to this site by any of them was back in 2014. I think you said you live in Tasmania, which is the "island down under the land down under." It wasn't even a month ago when I looked up Tasmania on Google Maps. There was some geological feature I read about or saw on TV and I wanted to know more. Quite a beautiful island, definitely the Corsica of the southern hemisphere as you had mentioned.

At the bottom of the forum page, there is a utility to view current users online. Very often you see a few members and about 100 guests, but I had seen the number of guests online at one time to be over 200. I spent some time in the past checking guests often, trying to see if perhaps our forum is being visited by You Know Who. The IP addresses are the only piece of information that we get from guests along with what they are viewing on the forum. Clicking the IP Address link expands the address to give a little more information about the IP. A good chunk of the guests are web crawlers or bots and those are easy to spot. However, there are many valid IP addresses, and using a IP locator utility, I was able to trace back the user to their city and country. Alizee has many "stealth" fans from pretty much all over the world and using the IP utility, I was able to verify that. You get the award for the most remote location that I had seen on the forum, so congratulations!
Old 04-29-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
You get the award for the most remote location that I had seen on the forum, so congratulations!
And I won't forget that, thank you! I would've thought there'd be at least some other Aussies with an account come on here since 2014, guess I'm alone in that department.
Tasmania is a great place to live, I know everyone says this about their place of residence but I'd recommend visiting someday if you're able to or interested. Maybe Corsica gets the same treatment of being left out of maps of France like Tasmania gets being left out of Australian maps.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:13 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tasmania is a great place to live, I know everyone says this about their place of residence but I'd recommend visiting someday if you're able to or interested. Maybe Corsica gets the same treatment of being left out of maps of France like Tasmania gets being left out of Australian maps.
Tasmania has enjoyed some good P.R. over the years due to the Looney Tunes cartoon character "Taz", which is supposed to be modeled after the Tasmanian Devil animal. I used to watch Looney Tunes as a kid, and that was a very long time ago, so I was aware of Tasmania pretty much my whole life. Interestingly, your country pays the creator of Looney Tunes, Warner Brothers, a fee to sell replicas of "Taz" in your country.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 04-29-2020 at 11:16 AM..
Old 05-04-2020, 09:59 PM

Tradewind is on a distinguished road
Default How I first discovered Alizee

I'm a big fan of espionage novels. About ten years ago, I was reading one. The main character, who had spent some time in France, expressed his appreciation for the music of France Gall. Curious, I did a YouTube search for France Gall, which introduced me to some of her songs from the 1960s and 1970s. While one of her songs was playing, I noticed some other French pop singers were highlighted on the right side of the screen. One of them was an attractive young lady whose name and face were totally unfamiliar to me.

Of course, that was Alizee. After playing a couple of her videos, I was hooked. I had never seen anyone quite like her.

A year after that, I stumbled upon the Forum, and began to learn more about Alizee and her background. By now, I have my own opinions of Alizee and her abilities. Like Johnny Carson, it is clear she is largely an introvert, but comes to life on stage. Very little of her music in the early years was truly live. But I agree with the observation that you can sing well, or you can dance well, but you can't do both at the same time.

Regardless of what the future holds for Alizee, I will always remember her as an 18-year-old whose beauty and talent made her absolutely captivating.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:58 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
I'm a big fan of espionage novels. About ten years ago, I was reading one. The main character, who had spent some time in France, expressed his appreciation for the music of France Gall. Curious, I did a YouTube search for France Gall, which introduced me to some of her songs from the 1960s and 1970s. While one of her songs was playing, I noticed some other French pop singers were highlighted on the right side of the screen. One of them was an attractive young lady whose name and face were totally unfamiliar to me.

Of course, that was Alizee. After playing a couple of her videos, I was hooked. I had never seen anyone quite like her.

A year after that, I stumbled upon the Forum, and began to learn more about Alizee and her background. By now, I have my own opinions of Alizee and her abilities. Like Johnny Carson, it is clear she is largely an introvert, but comes to life on stage. Very little of her music in the early years was truly live. But I agree with the observation that you can sing well, or you can dance well, but you can't do both at the same time.

Regardless of what the future holds for Alizee, I will always remember her as an 18-year-old whose beauty and talent made her absolutely captivating.
Welcome to the forum. Have you read any of Tom Clancy's novels?

I believe it was Madonna who said you can have good singing or you can have a good performance (I guess as far as dancing), but you can't have both. As you said, very little of her early music was live, but En Concert showed us she does have a good voice. Maybe it was different in the way we thought it was, but it was a good voice.

I thought one of the best songs of En Concert was Amelie;

Another great song was Lou ou toi;

L'e-mail a des ailes

and the best song of En Concert in my opinion......L'Alizé

Though there are songs that might be questioned, her voice can not be questioned imho.