RedRafe is on a distinguished road

VNV Nation - All Our Sins (Samsara)
Old 01-12-2020, 04:39 PM

Silencio is on a distinguished road

Pet Shop Boys (feat. Years & Years) - Dreamland

Old 01-12-2020, 05:16 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

It has been a sad weekend for me when I learned of the unexpected death of a member of the Terrific Trio from Canada, drummer Neil Peart of Rush. It was brain cancer and this comes as a complete surprise. Seeing them in concert a number of times over the last 40 years, the last opportunity I had was in 2015 during their R40 tour when they played in my city. A friend had tickets already and I mistakenly made travel arrangements for a vacation overlapping the concert date by a single day. On the return flight as we prepared to land back in town and descending over downtown, I realized they were playing at that very moment. I thought maybe next time, but there was never a next time.

Rush has retained the spot of my favorite band for decades, and Peart was arguably one of the best, if not the best, rock drummers of all time, and that is not just my opinion. He was also a talented writer and wrote lyrics to most of their songs, and they were brilliant. A lot of people cannot get by Geddy Lee's screeching vocals and progressive style and write them off, but when you listen to their complete portfolio of music and how they did not conform to the demands of the labels, their talent is apparent.

Rush were music nerds and as Geddy Lee once joked, they were "terminally un-hip". They will always be my #1.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:58 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

In addition to being a great drummer, he was the main lyricist for the band which says a lot when you consider Rush had the third most consecutive gold or platinum albums by a rock band.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:26 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
In addition to being a great drummer, he was the main lyricist for the band which says a lot when you consider Rush had the third most consecutive gold or platinum albums by a rock band.
He was an accomplished writer as well, author of six books. In 1997, he lost his 19 year old daughter in a car accident. Within a year, his wife died of terminal cancer. To deal with his loss, he went on a solo trip on his BMW motorcycle from Quebec to Alaska, then south all the way to Belize. He drove about 50,000 miles. He wrote a book called Ghost Writer, which was a book about his travels.

Rush almost dismantled at this time, but the band had a triumphal return in 2002 with their new album Vapor Trails. Many songs had a spiritual undertone, and included a song called Ghost Rider. It was obvious Peart was healing through writing lyrics. The band went on to enjoy an additional 13 years together, more popular than ever, selling out the largest venues worldwide.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:20 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
He was an accomplished writer as well, author of six books. In 1997, he lost his 19 year old daughter in a car accident. Within a year, his wife died of terminal cancer. To deal with his loss, he went on a solo trip on his BMW motorcycle from Quebec to Alaska, then south all the way to Belize. He drove about 50,000 miles. He wrote a book called Ghost Writer, which was a book about his travels.

Rush almost dismantled at this time, but the band had a triumphal return in 2002 with their new album Vapor Trails. Many songs had a spiritual undertone, and included a song called Ghost Rider. It was obvious Peart was healing through writing lyrics. The band went on to enjoy an additional 13 years together, more popular than ever, selling out the largest venues worldwide.
Losing your daughter and wife in the same year.......pretty tough. Going through some of those countries by himself on a motorcycle and he lived to tell about it....pretty amazing.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:42 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Very fond of this young mans work…

Alan Walker - Faded

Alan Walker - Faded (Restrung)

Alan Walker - Alone

Alan Walker, Sabrina Carpenter & Farruko - On My Way

Alan Walker & Ava Max - Alone, Pt. II

Alan x Walkers - Unity

A very cool, very very gifted online community…

Enjoy…
Old 01-14-2020, 10:35 PM

Silencio is on a distinguished road

Gims & Sting - Reste

Gims - Miami Vice