Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 08:43 PM

Alex Rien is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
Alizée has done a number of songs that, because they are not her most well known, are not as appreciated as much as I believe they should be. L'E-mail A Des Ailes is an example.

Her best song ever.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:15 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
There was a lot of untapped potential for music videos in just about all of her albums, though of course no major artist can make a video for every song. I think we were discussing in the past which songs we each wish had got a music video.................

Kajue and I both mentioned Hey Amigo. ...............

And of course Blonde is just Blonde, but I agree an Alcaline Music Video probably would've been more interesting, other songs like K.O would be good candidates too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajue View Post
L'e-mail a des ailes has actually grown to become one of my favorite songs from her during the past couple months, it very soft and solemn feel to it.
I actually prefer her Concert version instead of the studio.

Well with someone like Alizee, especially after her lack of success with Psych and UEDS, you want to take advantage of all your assets and one of the biggest ones is her beauty. They certainly failed with Blonde. By the way, who was her costume coordinator?

With the Blonde video, they put all their eggs in one basket and paid the price.

A few months ago I spoke in here about how when I first "heard" the song "Dance Monkey" by the Tones, I really liked and added it to one of my top playlists. She had an unusual voice imo, a voice that I couldn't visualize what she might look like. I thought about looking her up on the internet but also wondered if that might be a mistake. Would it have an effect on how much I liked the song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iQxG8ZjYO8

Well I did look her up and found out she was no Alizée to put it mildly. As far as the song, I stopped listening to it. Maybe that makes me Shallow Hal or maybe it makes me human?

It just goes to show, the video of a music video is a major part of it. It can ruin a good song. One of the great things about Alizee when I'm just listening to a cd is I can visualize her in one of the many beautiful outfits she wore during her performances and En Concert.

A good outfit for the video Blonde could have added a lot to the video and she really should've made a second video whether it was Alcaline or something else. I know they were in a rush to get an album out there to take advantage of the success of Dals, but when you rush things, chances of getting a good product are much lower.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:30 PM

SteveB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post

It just goes to show, the video of a music video is a major part of it. It can ruin a good song. One of the great things about Alizee when I'm just listening to a cd is I can visualize her in one of the many beautiful outfits she wore during her performances and En Concert.

That's an interesting thought. I think A-ha's "Take On Me" is another good example of that. I remember seeing a documentary about that song. They mentioned that they released the song multiple times and it didn't really gain much traction. They finally came up with the famous animation styled music video and it became a hit.

I agree that Blonde was a risk. Maybe if they didn't focus on the single idea that she had blonde hair and repackaged the album name, it might have been a little more successful? Interesting to think about!
Old 11-13-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
That's an interesting thought. I think A-ha's "Take On Me" is another good example of that. I remember seeing a documentary about that song. They mentioned that they released the song multiple times and it didn't really gain much traction. They finally came up with the famous animation styled music video and it became a hit.

I agree that Blonde was a risk. Maybe if they didn't focus on the single idea that she had blonde hair and repackaged the album name, it might have been a little more successful? Interesting to think about!
"Take on Me" was a great video.

You're probably right about focusing on "Blonde" was the wrong direction to go in. By naming it that, it put the main focus on one song and when you do that and the song isn't that great, you're off to a bad start.

Some people think the blond hair itself was a bad idea I much prefer her with her own natural color hair but the blond hair wasn't the reason the album failed. There are some very beautiful pictures of her with blond hair but the big problem with them is they are all when she's off stage. Look at this one dress she wore on stage along with a couple of outfits off stage.

Attachment 3191

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 07-03-2021 at 10:26 PM..
Old 11-13-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Some people think the blond hair itself was a bad idea I much prefer her with her own natural color hair but the blond hair wasn't the reason the album failed.
Attachment 3191
I agree! I too prefer her natural color. I too, don't think it was the reason the album didn't become a huge success. I know for me personally, none of the songs really jumped out at me. I should give them another listen though, I've only listened to them once or twice about two years ago. But I think maybe it was just the songs that were weak and didn't gain much attention.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I agree! I too prefer her natural color. I too, don't think it was the reason the album didn't become a huge success. I know for me personally, none of the songs really jumped out at me. I should give them another listen though, I've only listened to them once or twice about two years ago. But I think maybe it was just the songs that were weak and didn't gain much attention.
Well we just talked about how the video can affect how well a music video does, now let's discuss the music. I really enjoy both Alcaline and K O from her Blonde album. I put them on cds and would play them when ever I was driving but there was one thing I noticed in that If I was driving along, paying attention to my driving as I should be, hearing the music from the cd in my subconscious, I found myself as soon as either of those two songs came on, I'd reach out and hit the next song button. I found the music at the beginning of the song irritating. Once she started singing it was fine, so what I did was just cropped out the beginning of those songs and it made a bid difference to me.

Members here I'm sure are well aware of the two videos I made concerning these two songs. I wasn't happy with her Alcaline performance that was on video so I decided to make one of my own where I used clips from En Concert to make it looked like she was singing Alcaline.

That came out so well I decided to try it with K O and that too worked out really well. Then came the time where I realized how much I didn't like the beginning, and chopped it off. I added the modified video to my drive, but I didn't add them to my Youtube channel so I suggest you watch these two and see if it makes a difference to you.
K O
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UKd...ew?usp=sharing

Alcaline

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xvd...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 11-14-2020 at 08:41 PM..
Old 11-14-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I added the modified video to my drive, but I didn't add them to my Youtube channel so I suggest you watch these two and see if it makes a difference to you.
K O

Alcaline

Just a heads up, but the Alcaline link is the same as the K O link.

Quote:
Well we just talked about how the video can affect how well a music video does, now let's discuss the music. I really enjoy both Alcaline and K O from her Blonde album.
For me, I just wasn't a fan of the instrumentals of this album. It was more electronic (not sure if that's the correct way to phrase it?) than the previous albums and I just didn't like it. I gave the edited K O song that you linked a listen/ watch, and it made me realize that I probably didn't give the album a thorough listen to. I suspect it was a similar reason to what you mention here:
Quote:
I found the music at the beginning of the song irritating. Once she started singing it was fine, so what I did was just cropped out the beginning of those songs and it made a bid difference to me.
I like parts of K O, but then there are some of the "electronic" sounds that just annoy me. I did find the very beginning part of the video that you edited to be very catchy. I'm sure that's the case with a lot of these songs on the album. I just can't get past those annoying parts to fully appreciate the song. However, you did convince me that K O could be considered as an underrated song. It has more to it than I originally thought.

Quote:
I put them on cds and would play them when ever I was driving but there was one thing I noticed in that If I was driving along, paying attention to my driving as I should be, hearing the music from the cd in my subconcious, I found myself as soon as either of those two songs came on, I'd reach out and hit the next song button.
I do that too!
Old 11-14-2020, 02:37 PM

Alex Rien is on a distinguished road

Oh...

Old 11-14-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Just a heads up, but the Alcaline link is the same as the K O link. ............................

)
Sorry about that! Here's the K O one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rien View Post
Oh...

Very good instrumental!
Old 11-15-2020, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

I think the song "Coeur deja pris" ("Heart belongs to another") from her second album, "Mes Courants Électriques," is one of her most beautiful songs. I especially like the chorus:

"Keep me close though you love another
Keep me close, can't blame me altogether
Then if I see it's my choice:
Your heart's not free ...for me, so
I believe, sometimes love plays a game with me.
Then keep me close
It was said, I know: your heart's not free, just
Keep me close
If it must be this way."

Alizée never performed this song live, but here is a nice video that someone put together:

Last edited by Bamagirl; 11-15-2020 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts