Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road
Default Long term Alizée fans have you noticed

that even though you are still not competent with the French language it has become almost familiar?

Even though you don't understand what they are talking or singing about, French has become almost a second language. It doesn't sound foreign to you any more but just different.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:33 PM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

I don't know if I qualify as a "long-term" fan yet, but listening to Alizee for almost 2 years now almost on a daily basis made French sound familiar to me. Just like what you said, it becomes familiar to you. I could even pick-up some words during the interview and learned how to pronounced some properly. For example, I always thought Nolwenn's last name was pronounced the American way (i.e. Lee-roy). Now, after watching Balavoine, I found out that it was actually pronounced as Low-wah? Is that right?

Happy 4th of July everyone!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:53 PM

SlipshodDread is on a distinguished road

I'd say French was fairly familiar to me before I knew about Alizee (studied it for 5 years at secondary school and been on a couple of trips there), not to mention that I could hop on the eurostar from London and be in Paris in about 2 hours ... lol
Old 07-04-2011, 01:37 PM

BlackAnthem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
that even though you are still not competent with the French language it has become almost familiar?

Even though you don't understand what they are talking or singing about, French has become almost a second language. It doesn't sound foreign to you any more but just different.
YES. I know what you mean. I could be sitting there and have people speak French to me and it wouldn't sound out of place at all...

I'm lovin' the smileys.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:35 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post

Very, very true.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Lili Loyal

paintballpdh19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake04 View Post
I don't know if I qualify as a "long-term" fan yet, but listening to Alizee for almost 2 years now almost on a daily basis made French sound familiar to me. Just like what you said, it becomes familiar to you. I could even pick-up some words during the interview and learned how to pronounced some properly.
yes i am the same way.... because of it seems like French is almost a second language... (only wish i could understand it )
Old 07-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

So true. I used to think French was a strange language with the odd throaty noises but now it sounds just as natural as if I were hearing english.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Well I've been a fan for close to 4 and 1/2 years now and I've learned over a dozen of her French songs and can sing along with them very well, fully understanding the words, but still, when I listen to an interview of hers such as the one she had with Nolwenn, I only understand a few words here and there. But that's probably just me. You can't teach an old scruffydog new languages.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1ZpM0QKEFpg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

Like Scruffy I can sing along to all of her songs (but not know what it means). But due to me hearing French all the time, I have noticed my ability to tell what people say has decreased. I have had to start asking people to repeat themselves haha.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

To me, French is a very soothing language, and keeps me focused.

To put this into perspective of what I mean:

When I study, I can't study in silence, I need some background noise. I used to leave the TV on or listen to John Williams(I only listen to music without lyrics when studying. Otherwise it'd be distracting.) But after a while, I'd get distracted by what's going on on TV or whatnot, so the solution I found is to have a French movie playing in the background. It helps me concentrate, and study for longer. After a year of doing this, I can say that I have the entire audio for Amelie and Paris Je T'aime completely memorized.