Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 AM

ajaccio corsica is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

hi
it's because bengalore is a big city, of course there are ppl who speak english in bombay or delhi, but just gotta travel across the country to realize ppl don't use english to speak each others
dreamer is unable to understand, I know it's pretty complicated to understand things when you don't know what the country looks like, hiowever it's obvious that english is not that spoken in india
again it's absolutely normal: ppl are right to defend their culture and language is part of culture
there are also political reasons, basically english was the language of the country that invaded them, india became independent in 1947 and it's natural for them to use their own languages instead of the invader's one
same problem in china, the only place where you're basically sure you'll be understood is hong kong
and of course the only place when you're sure everybody will understand you when you speak english is..... england
this country should be more touristic, huh?
I have to work with asians every day and believe me it's often complicated to be understood, especially with japanese or thais, they mostly speak a very basic english and use online translators for written things
thanks god there are some thai ppl in ajaccio and I ask them to write directly in thai language
I found this stuff about french language in the us
http://www.fll.vt.edu/French/whyfrench.html
I think you already know most of what's written but it's still interesting
cheers

Last edited by ajaccio corsica; 03-02-2008 at 09:42 AM..
Old 03-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

There's a huge difference between the India of the big cities and the India of the villages and countryside. Educated city-dwelling Indians do usually speak English. Indians of the villages and countryside usually don't. It's still a very large English-speaking population, but far from the whole billion of them or however many there are.

I remember a survey taken in the villages a few years after emancipation in which they tried to get a sense of how the country people felt about the end of British rule. Most of the people didn't even know India HAD been ruled by the British!

Quite a few American companies outsource their customer service departments with Indians just because so many of them are English speakers. It's a very common accent to hear when you call in to a company customer-service line.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 03-02-2008, 12:32 PM

ggin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchaikovsky View Post
Indiana no suck
Hey Tchaikovsky! My dad disagrees with you, but I actually like Indiana just fine. I've lived here my whole life. I was just trying to be funny, and maybe I'm just ready for the winter to end. I live up by the lake where we get all the snow (18 inches last Wednesday!). As for my dad, he's just grumpy, I guess.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:05 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaccio corsica View Post
hi
it's because bengalore is a big city, of course there are ppl who speak english in bombay or delhi, but just gotta travel across the country to realize ppl don't use english to speak each others
dreamer is unable to understand, I know it's pretty complicated to understand things when you don't know what the country looks like, hiowever it's obvious that english is not that spoken in india
again it's absolutely normal: ppl are right to defend their culture and language is part of culture
there are also political reasons, basically english was the language of the country that invaded them, india became independent in 1947 and it's natural for them to use their own languages instead of the invader's one
same problem in china, the only place where you're basically sure you'll be understood is hong kong
'Cos Hong Kong was a British colony (like India)?

So, just curious: have you, indeed, traveled across the country in India and experienced this lack of English that you claim exists?

Anyway, if only ~1/3 of the country speaks English, and mostly in big cities, then that is consistent with the published estimates I quoted of 350 million English speakers. (What was your reaction to that article?)
Old 03-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Jericho Kanes the Name

Renegade is on a distinguished road
Default Holy $#!%

Last night my friend almost got mugged if I wasn't there.
I tried chasing those bastards but lost them in an alley.
Anyway my trip is going well not including the attempted mugging.
I have been in the countryside most of my trip. You guys were right.......the metro takes you everywhere.
I'm using my friend's iPhone so that's why I'm able to get on.

Peace Out
PS: Psychédélices is pretty good!

I play Russian roulette everyday.... a man sport, with a bullet life.
YEA a bullet called life.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:04 PM

Alizee=Czech-Princess! is on a distinguished road

Thats re-assuring to hear that people will try mugging you in Paris!
I'm going over in April with my girlfriend, anyone know of any decent places where i can propose 2 her?
cheers.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 PM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road

On top of the Eiffel tower?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Κάτσε Καλά!

garçoncanadien is on a distinguished road

there are a long set of fountains near the Eiffel tower, try there May it go well my friend
Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 PM
lililover

lilly is on a distinguished road

No you are not allowed to go to the top of the tower
Old 03-03-2008, 07:23 AM

ajaccio corsica is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

hi
well, indians don't need to speak english because they already got their own languages, you should know this if you live there
there's a huge eurocopter plant there and I had to work with local engineers
they spoke a very poor english and we had to hire traductors even if we asked for ppl who spoke a fluent english
european engineers who have to work there learn some hindii if they stay more than 6 months
about paris, nothing surprising, it's pretty unsafe; especially in the metro
a friend of mine had to defend a woman who was agressed by a black, they guy had a knife but my friend broke his arm on an angle of a seat and then the passengers caught him, they called the police at the next metro station
the most surprising thing is that before the fight they didn't do anything even if they saw that the baboon was agressing the woman
a bunch of cowards, really
another friend killed two arabs there, he was judged and spent 5 years in a jail
sad day for the guys who attacked him, they probably didn"t know many corsicans have guns
cheers