Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 06-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road
Default Photo Location Puzzle Thread

How about we have a Photo Location Puzzle thread?!?

I know a few other members enjoy trying to find where photos were taken from.

Here is one for you to locate. Of course, it's in Ajaccio.

Happy hunting!
Old 06-10-2015, 09:55 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Tough one, but I know what part of town that Rue resides based on the geography. Give me some time to nail it down. At work and busy so it might take me a little while to pin point it.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Last Fan Standing

Take your time But someone else just might beat you to the prize.

To make sure the first challenge would be do-able, I located the place before I posted. It is a little tricky though if you use the same tool I used due to those trees.

And perhaps whoever solves it first might post the next challenge. Or not. I can always find something to use.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:55 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Just saw this. I usually do not look at off topic but I did today for some reason.

Photographer was using a telephoto lens and was standing at
41.9178° 8.7393°
Looking NorthWest.

Might have been standing outside: Napoleon's natal home

Edit:

-------------------=----------------------

OK. Two questions:
1. Where is this?
2. What event involving Alizée happened here?

The next picture is one of my favorites.

This question is only for members who joined AFTER Jan 1st, 2014.
3. When was this picture taken?
(Note: I won't ask specifically where. That would be too tough.)

Last edited by Rev; 06-13-2015 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: New puzzles
Old 06-12-2015, 07:11 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

At least it's nice to know I was with in two to three square blocks of the location. Just didn't have the time to pin it down, congratulations Rev.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Last Fan Standing

Bravo Rev!

Well, your first photo I recognized right away as the place someone got l'ochju. So I'll pass on that and let someone else work on it.

The second I also remember well, and as I don't qualify to answer the question, I decided to locate the site. (I couldn't help myself.)

Knowing the approximate area and the time of day that photo was taken, I observed the shadows cast by the sun and decided on a direction to use for my search.

First I started with this photo:
You can see the rue there in the center leading straight away up the slight hill.

From: http://www.tarrano-bonicardo.com/aja..._nostalgie.htm

(I didn't really start with this one )

Here it is on Google Earth:

And on streetview:

We don't need no Psychebooboo watermarks!

Anyway, that's Boulevard Sylvestre Marcaggi.

Quote:
BIOGRAPHY LIEUTENANT Marcaggi

Born in Ajaccio 2 November 1888

Dice 2 August 1906, Sylvestre Marcaggi navigates to trade. On 03 September 1914, then lieutenant in the long term, it is mobilized and soon appointed commander of a patrol trawler with the rank of Chief Petty.

February 02, 1917, he was appointed 2nd class reserve lieutenant and served on the battleship REPUBLIC, then in the captive balloons, it obtains observer certificate and promotion as a naval ensign 1st Subject to class 8 September 1917.

Continuing his military service in the Navy, he passes into the active part in June, 1919.

He successively served aboard

The torpedo boat squadron PIQUE
Breastplate of COURBET
From the sloop ARRAS
Squadron of destroyers: Captain MEHL MAGON and where it is second officer.

On 19 November 1920, was promoted to Lieutenant Marcaggi Dutchman.

He feels growing within him a vocation for aeronautics in airships in Bizerte. In 1917il returned to school the center of Rochefort, from where it will be released January 12, 1922, patented airship pilot.

Assigned to the aircraft center of Aubagne, he rallies the Cuers June 1, 1922, on an allocation request to the choice, he flies aboard airships 'MEDITERRANEAN', 'AT 19' and 'DIXMUDE'

The DIXMUDE is a former German airship ZEPPELIN L 72, shipped to France in July 1920, it measures 226 meters of log with a volume of 68,500 m3.

Lieutenant Vessel Marcaggi makes this airship as OOW several cruises from Cuers.

From 30.08 to 02.09.1923: Balearic Islands, Algiers, Bizerte, Ajaccio
From 25.09 to 30.09.1923: Oran, Bizerte, Gabes, Tougourt, Sousse, Bizerte, Paris, or 9000 km in 118 hours
From 17.10 to 19.10.1923: Bordeaux, Lorient, Bourges, Lyon
From 21.11 to 11.24.1923: Bizerte.

Because of its Marcaggi services is cited in the order of the navy, October 20, 1923 and totaled 561 flight hours to 23 November.

The DIXMUDE part to a new mission 18 December 1923, departed to go to Cuers IN SALAH in southern Algeria. Everything is going well until the return.

Indeed caught in a violent storm, the DIXMUDE explodes above SCIACCA, Sicily, on the night of 20 to 21 December 1923 and disappeared with all hands.

The disaster caused 50 casualties, including 14 officers. Only the body of Lieutenant of Ship, DE GRENEDAN Commander Dixmude, was found by a fisherman on 28 December.

On February 12, 1924, the Lieutenant of Ship Marcaggi is cited in the order of the navy and was made a Knight of the Legion of Honor posthumously.

(Translated from: http://www.netmarine.net/tradi/engag...orse/corse.htm )

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 09-13-2015 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: repairing broken image links
Old 06-13-2015, 03:03 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

ALS - Thanks.

Ray4AJ - Excellent! Talking about hitting it out of the ballpark.
How do you know about l'ochju, and how did you know someone had gotten it (I had not heard that - or at least I don't remember it)?

Have you read Dorothy Carrington's book?

I thought questions 1 & 2 might be too easy, you never know what people will remember.

OK. Although while I am hoping that someone will actually answer questions 1-3, I think you have earned the right to post the next puzzle.

Last edited by Rev; 06-13-2015 at 03:11 AM..
Old 06-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Last Fan Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
How do you know about l'ochju, and how did you know someone had gotten it (I had not heard that - or at least I don't remember it)?

Have you read Dorothy Carrington's book?
I suppose the general term (in English) is something I've heard randomly through the years. I had not heard of Dorothy Carrington or her books until today, but I will probably look into them. Before Alizée came along, I borrowed fiction (mostly spy and detective) CDs from my local library and listened to them during my commute. I still do sometimes when I'm not listening to Alizée songs. (sorry Alizée!) One of them was The English Girl by Daniel Silva. The story begins in Corsica and the main character visits a powerful 'olive grower' that he knows to get some information. L'ochju and machja are mentioned, the character even interacts with una signadora. Unfortunately, most of the story takes place on the continent. Maybe Silva got some of his information from Carrington's books.

I'll send you a PM with the 'evidence' of l'ochju I mentioned in my earlier post so as not to spoil the puzzle of questions 1&2 from your earlier post. I'm probably not using the term correctly though. And when someone solves either of your puzzles, I'm prepared to present the next one.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Last Fan Standing

I'm thinking that people might not have found this thread.

Here is a little bump. Is anyone interested in answering these questions in the quote below?

Otherwise I'll post a photo for the next challenge. How easy or difficult does everyone want the next one to be? I have several lined up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
OK. Two questions:
1. Where is this?
2. What event involving Alizée happened here?

The next picture is one of my favorites.

This question is only for members who joined AFTER Jan 1st, 2014.
3. When was this picture taken?
(Note: I won't ask specifically where. That would be too tough.)

Old 06-21-2015, 09:09 PM
Last Fan Standing

Okay, well, maybe someone will see those in the post above eventually and try out their skills.

In the meantime... I present my next challenge. It's hard for me to say how difficult it is, I think it might be a little hard to figure out. It's from Alizée's Instagram posts. When she posted it, probably over two years ago, I tried to figure out where it was but I couldn't. I worked on it some today and solved it without much trouble. I used a little bit of science again, thinking about what time of day rainbows usually occur, and where they occur in relation to the sun, so, this got me the direction to 'look' in.

Puzzle 4

Just for reassurance

I'll make the next challenge as well, unless someone wants to. Happy exploring!

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 09-13-2015 at 05:50 PM..